911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Window Motors

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 05:06 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Window Motors

I have a question my power windows seem to be a bit slowwww going down. I replaced the motors and still not much of a change is it something to live with or can it be fixed.

SWAMP MONSTER
Old 08-17-2001, 11:05 AM
Cookie Porsche
Instructor

George,
Maybe if you replaced the small electric window motor with a V8? - Just kidding!

Remove your door trim (again) and grease the rails. Then lubricate the actual window slides lightly with some glycerine or similar. You Yanks always have some fancy product for any application. Lastly check the electrical connections (especially earth) to your motor.

Best regards and enjoy your monster this weekend. Tom.
Old 08-17-2001, 12:40 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Thank you very much Cookie Porsche. I will try that today. I just have a problem with the windows going down at a snails pace. I wiil give you a up date on how they work after the fix.

SWAMP MONSTER
Old 08-17-2001, 05:11 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In case Tom's approach doesn't satisfy... honestly, I think this is a sterling opportunity to R&D the application of GM's high torque, low cost electric window motors, which are no doubt better performing & more available than the ones Porsche installed at the factory. Why not give it shot George? Maybe there are electric window races somewhere, too...
Old 08-17-2001, 05:48 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Kevin: thanks for the tip I don't know why I did not think of that my self. I will check and see if the window motors from a ZO6 vette will fit. The vette out braked, cornered, and accelerated the best porsche had to offer. It would not surprise me that the window motors offer superior performance as well. I will be sure to let you know after my R&D. If it works you can install some on your car that way you would have superior performance in at least one area.

SWAMP MONSTER
Old 08-17-2001, 06:39 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great, if my motors ever wear out, I'll be prepared. I expect over the course of your endeavors & investments you will attain the ultimate state of bliss - a chevy-vette parts laden device having a Porsche VIN # attached to it. Keep us informed of your progress upwards, & best of luck.
Old 08-17-2001, 10:38 PM
Joe Abrahamson
Intermediate

George,

If all the above does not work, and the Corvette window motors will not fit... try putting new felt liners in the window tracks.

Lubing up the tracks sometimes helps but if the car is very old these puppies get crap in them and swell. Its not an easy job but just time consuming.

The windows usually will work fine with some lube and new felt guides.

Joe
Old 08-17-2001, 11:22 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys!

It just could be that, in the end, "Swamp Thing" will have had the last laugh on the "purists".

If you take a peek at this week's (next week's for newstand purchase) AutoWeek you'll find a spy photo of the next "911" (2004). It's wider in the rear to accommodate . . . you guessed it, the Cayenne V-8. Cayenne/Corvette, what's the diff?

Would we all feel alittle kinder towards "Swamp Fever" if he had managed to fit a 928 engine into his car?

The way he lusts after the bowtie, probably not!

Incidently, my windows have been kinda slow lately too. I'll try the new felt hint.

Have a great weekend youall.

Richard
'87 Carrera
Old 08-18-2001, 12:23 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Cookie Porsche I greased the rails and it seems to work a lot better thanks a bunch.
Joe you are right the felt window tracks need to be replaced. I will check into that next. I was just joking about the ZO6 window motors only because KD made a got me good remark. I am not putting in vette window motors but I was wondering about maybe a jap window motor out of a 996?

SWAMP MONSTER
Old 08-18-2001, 04:29 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

... and I'm still open-minded about less-expensive, plentiful parts sourced in the good ole USA that perform the equivalent function as those that swim across the Atlantic, as long as they don't change the form or intent of the original design.

George, you're a good sport considering the abuse you dole out and receive. I'm not sure your competitors on the backroads feel the same way. Keep at it...
Old 08-19-2001, 09:31 AM
Joe Abrahamson
Intermediate

George,

If you find any motor that will work in the 911 door other than the factory one, pls let us know.

Would be nice to get a "master list" going of parts that would interchange for our cars. Believe that someone had one going years ago for bearings and such but you would think that other stuff can be adapted.

Considering that the window motor and its gearbox was designed in the 80's (or possibly earlier) I would hope that someone has come up with a better unit...

Joe

Quick Reply: Window Motors