Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Got roll cage, have 5 point, now What is Suggested

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got roll cage, have 5 point, now What is Suggested

Got a DAS roll cage today for the 911sc and we have 5 point seats and belts on both sides. This will be used in Porsche Club of America light events, cones, driving schools etc. and some moderate/sane Canyon Runs. No REAL racing for at least 2 years.

Any suggestions as to what else we should do? I do not have a bolt in fire rig yet, just Hylon?haylon? in the glove box and a big all purpose unit in the front trunk.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jakeflyer
Got a DAS roll cage today for the 911sc and we have 5 point seats and belts on both sides. This will be used in Porsche Club of America light events, cones, driving schools etc. and some moderate/sane Canyon Runs. No REAL racing for at least 2 years.
Your belts will be dated - be sure they comply with the rules before you attempt to pass technical inspection at an event. Your seats must have pass-throughs for at least the shoulder straps - most organizers realize that the shoulder belts can slip off your shoulders. Make sure that you have roll bar foam installed anywhere that your helmeted head and body parts can stretch to in an accident - same for your passenger. Find out in advance how thoroughly the technical inspection will be, and make sure everything that will be looked at is in good order (some will look for leaky shock absorbers, etc.). To avoid as many brake issues as possible make sure that your brake rotors meet thickness wear requirements, and that your brake hoses (o.e. rubber are fine) are newer than five years old (they're dated on the ends).

Any suggestions as to what else we should do? I do not have a bolt in fire rig yet, just Hylon?haylon? in the glove box and a big all purpose unit in the front trunk.
Most event organizers will give you fire bottle requirements, and suggested locations to mount the bracket. Before an event you will want to empty all items from the glove box, both map compartments, the trunk and anything that you might keep under the seats - you won't believe how badly something loose will get thrown around! A fire bottle, even mounted, in the trunk is generally not acceptable - it'll be inaccessible to emergency workers, and you, if it's needed. Make sure that your car has no oil leaks, fresh high quality brake fluid (Ate Blue or similar), your oil level is about at the half-way mark on the dipstick, your A/C compressor belt is removed and your compressor is tight, you have a log book and a means of accurately raising or lowering your tire pressures (I would start with 32F/36R and measure hot for gain), and it would never hurt to have a professional alignment to specific specs along with corner balance done. Remove the fuse for the windshield wipers - in your exuberance you will surely catch the wiper switch during cornering. Remove your floor mats (front & rear), most organizers want to see nothing but floor under foot - if you have a lucky penny in there find a new place for it!. Make sure that your battery is secured with a factory hold down, or a well-constructed hold down if your battery is non-o.e. style/type. Be aware that some organizers require steel, open-ended lug nuts so that they can inspect the amount of threads that are being used (some guys will use wheel spacers to gain a tiny advantage and not install longer studs), and if you have wheel locks it's best to remove them and replace them with nuts that match your other ones.

What you're undertaking is a heckuva lot of work - don't forget the fun part!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:05 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

See about mounting your fire extinguisher either in front of the passenger seat, or behind the seats on the "hump."

Depending on where you are, enroll in a Performance Driving School thru your local PCA or POC. These schools are really fun, helpful and essential for learning safety issues, proper driving techniques, and appropriate safety equipment depending on the car class you run.

Check your club's rules and reg's carefully before spending your money. IE: San Diego Region/ Zone 8 of the PCA requires seats with factory slots for shoulder AND sub belts for 5-point systems. No halo's, no sub belts over the top of the seat. No exceptions. All those people who bought seats without slots for the belts were hosed in '08:-(

Have fun and be safe.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

And lots of seat time!
Old 06-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

For example... belt slots + support allow you to concentrate on driving, instead of trying to stay inside the car!
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2008, 03:55 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Peter: do you use a single sub-belt or is that the 6-point Schroth system with the "sit on them" sub belts? The rest looks great.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:11 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Thanks you all for decades/wisdom assistance. The seats are proper with slots top and slot for the between the leg 5th point. Belts are dated within 24 months with the rotational quick release center ****. We will be running with the Orange County PCA and I guess the thing to do is go and watch the tech inspection, get the rules, meet the guys, and work a couple of events. However, you have saved me from asking a lot of questions what would make me appear dumber than I am.

Any tips on head gear. I have always bought the best when my son was racing motorcycles and think it would be wise with the cars also. But, I am clueless about car racing. Fire bottles--- I have an abnormal fear of fire from my airplane flying, any suggestions about type or brands. Fear overpowers budget in this area.

Peter-- "have fun" advice is well taken. The time with my son racing were my best days and hours. This should be even more fun. Bikes were interesting and cool, but Porsche is his passion. He is set on meeting you some day, part of the 19 year old Zimmerman fan club.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:30 AM
BlackPearl
Racer

Thanks you all for decades/wisdom assistance. The seats are proper with slots top and slot for the between the leg 5th point. Belts are dated within 24 months with the rotational quick release center ****. We will be running with the Orange County PCA and I guess the thing to do is go and watch the tech inspection, get the rules, meet the guys, and work a couple of events. However, you have saved me from asking a lot of questions what would make me appear dumber than I am.

Any tips on head gear. I have always bought the best when my son was racing motorcycles and think it would be wise with the cars also. But, I am clueless about car racing. Fire bottles--- I have an abnormal fear of fire from my airplane flying, any suggestions about type or brands. Fear overpowers budget in this area.

Peter-- "have fun" advice is well taken. The time with my son racing were my best days and hours. This should be even more fun. Bikes were interesting and cool, but Porsche is his passion. He is set on meeting you some day, part of the 19 year old Zimmerman fan club.
Okay, a couple of things.

The OC guys are thorough, and helpful. So, go to their website, and the Zone 8 website, and understand the rules before you go. Sounds like you should be okay as far as what you're running.

Regarding head-gear: find a shop and find a helmet maker that fits, then go on-line for a good SA 2005 helmet. The SA-2000 rating is only good for a couple more years, so make the investment now for a good helmet. I prefere a full-face, however they do get a bit hotter. M-rated helmets are only good for AX's in San Diego (not sure about other places), and the Zone 8 rules may disallow M-rated helmets at all DE's and TT's. Check the website for the rules to be sure before you invest.

Regarding fire "bottles": many of us use halotron powderless extingushers. They will leave no corrosive residue like some of the "powder" types. The powder-types can leave powder that will pit or corrode aluminum (like engine parts). However, the Halotron's will only emit an oxygen-displacing gas. If there is more heat-and-fuel, the fires may restart once the halon gases are gone. Choose carefully.

Finally, yes, go down to one of the events in OC or San Diego and check one of the AX's or DE's out. Lots of folks will be more than hepful and can really help you out with your future interests. If you like, come down to San Diego and ask for one of the CDI's named "Dan". I'll be happy to assist you.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackPearl
Peter: do you use a single sub-belt or is that the 6-point Schroth system with the "sit on them" sub belts? The rest looks great.
6-Point - I really felt comfortable with them + tidy install!
Old 06-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Even if you aren't racing now but plan to in the future I suggest installing your safety gear in compliance with the regulations set forth by whatever group you will race with whether that's PCA, POC, PRC, VARA, NASA, etc. When you are ready to race you won't have to go back and redo everything and in the meantime you will pass any DE or autocross tech inspection easily. Also get a HANS device if you don't already have one.

Here is a link to the PCA Club Racing rulebook.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:11 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

---------Cris--------
When you are ready to race you won't have to go back and redo everything and in the meantime you will pass any DE or autocross tech inspection easily. Also get a HANS device if you don't already have one.
Good thinking, and thanks for thinking. I will do more checking and reading to prepair for other events, clubs. Rather than spending an hour searching and asking what a HANS device is, what is a HANS device? And, thanks for the link.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Rather than spending an hour searching and asking what a HANS device is, what is a HANS device? And, thanks for the link.
Safety device that keeps your head & neck where they belong in a serious shunt!
Old 06-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Rather than spending an hour searching and asking what a HANS device is, what is a HANS device? And, thanks for the link.
No shame in that. Pete described it and here's what it looks like. It sits on your shoulders, the tethers attach it to your helmet, and the long narrow parts are held in place by your harness straps.
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way, but you really need to get out and do some driving events before you start talking about things like fire bottles and such. When you do this, you'll learn what things like Hans devices and such are. You'll learn what others use and value, and what is a waste of money. Above all, you'll be focused on driving. One should get seat time in a stock car before going over the edge on modifications, IMO and many others'.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Craig T.
Racer

You really should consider the POC. http://www.porscheclub.com/

They are by bar the most track focused club in SoCal. You would start out with an instructor on the short track "Streets" at Willow Springs Raceway. The POC has one of the best safety records of all Porsche performance driving clubs.

I tried the PCA cone bowling a couple of times. Once you've been on an open track, you won't go back to parking lots.

Plus, in the POC there is no car judging or people judging. It's all about learning to drive safe and fast. Sitting around between run sessions watching cup racing ain't bad either.

Quick Reply: Got roll cage, have 5 point, now What is Suggested