1986 Carrera 3.2 - Paris-Rhone Alternator Ground Wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1986 Carrera 3.2 - Paris-Rhone Alternator Ground Wire

Folks,

I'm replacing my Paris-Rhone alternator with a new unit. The ground cable that runs from the unit to an upper case bolt under the fan shroud is pretty worse for wear after 22 years of cooking and I want to make a new one.

The existing 15 inch long wire appears to be about 10 AWG and consists of 19 strands of solid copper wire and is VERY stiff with regards to flexiblity. It still has 0 Ohms resistance but the brown insulation is dried & cracked off in many places.

After checking the auto parts stores, Lowes, Home Depot, Boat stores etc., the best thing I can find is 10 AWG. It's marine quality and consists of about 50(?) individually tinned strands of fine copper wire so it's very flexible. The insulation says it's rated for 600V and temps of 105 degrees C (dry) and is oil resistant.

Will this work as a replacement ground wire for my 90 AMP alternator?

Thanks!

Barry
Old 02-29-2008, 06:50 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't see why not. Although I am surprised you could not find something bigger than 10awg.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

yeah it will work fine , the more wires the more current carrying capabiluty. The downside is usually the finer wires tend to be more prone to corosion ( ask anyone who service Bosch starters in salt climates ) . it will work though
Old 02-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

ice: Couldn't Barry also take two equal lengths of, say, 14 gauge automotive wire, lay them next to each other, slide a piece of shrink tube over them and solder their ends into the same connectors?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Folks,

Oh, I could find the larger AWG wire OK. It was the crimp-on ring terminals in the two different ring sizes required that were the problem. All the stores went to pretty slim pickings below 10 AWG.

I did get some 19 strand copper wire at Home Depot in 8 AWG that looks good but (apparently) would have to special order the two ring connectors required.

From a corrosion standpoint (the finer wire aspect of the 10 AWG I also got) I'm hoping that the marine grade individually tinned element factor would eliminate that worry.

I'm just worried about the 10 AWG being able to handle the ground properly as I don't know just what the alternator asks of it. Is it subject to carrying the full 90 AMPS the alternator is rated at? If so then (according to the various charts on AWG I've found) even the stock cable at 10/9 AWG would be too small.

Does anyone know what's actually expected of this ground connection in this regard?

Barry
Old 02-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Folks,

Pete is VERY correct here (as always!) but you gotta understand that I'm living in the shadow of THE Gary Kempton (a premier Porsche restoration EXPERT) down here! If he finds out that I'm considering using Black colored insulation as opposed to the original Brown color I'm dead meat!! If it becomes common knowledge that I used TWO wires I'd be 'ridden out of town on a rail'!!! ;-)

Actually it seems to be the local 'ring connector availability' issue that's crowding me here as the 8 AWG wire I found looks even a bit better than the original. I hate to spend $15.00 for two $0.65 cent parts but may have to...

Barry

Who was just gonna run to the auto parts store and buy two feet of wire and a couple of connectors.... AAAAARRRRGGGG!!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barry A. Waters
but you gotta understand that I'm living in the shadow of THE Gary Kempton (a premier Porsche restoration EXPERT) down here!
Aw c'mon! Do the double wire (brown, of course), shrink tube them so they stay next to each other, and the next time that you cruise by Gary's place enjoy a quiet chuckle because no one but us will be the wiser. (Believe it or not, I think that I remember seeing a few later model cars that were done that way from the factory!)

Originally Posted by Barry A. Waters
Who was just gonna run to the auto parts store and buy two feet of wire and a couple of connectors.... AAAAARRRRGGGG!!!!
Ain't it always like that? Aaaah, the little things...
Old 02-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Pete,

OH NO!!! Now I need to look for BROWN shrink tubing to hide my transgressions? You, Sir, are a 'Svengali' of the FIRST ORDER!!! ;-)

Barry
Old 02-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

LMAO!

Now relax, watch the slowly swinging charm, you're getting sleepy, very sleepy...
Old 03-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Folks,

Well! As someone much smarter than me (apparently) once said "Stupid is as stupid does."

After $30+ spent on various wire and connector bits & pieces in an attempt to prepare myself for creating a suitable replacement for the ground wire, a STRANGE thought ocurred to me... could it be???...???... nah, no way..., NO WAY!!!

Porsche Part# 91161223300 - $7.99 plus tax from my local PCNA Dealer... It's not only soldered and double crimped on each connector (one crimp on the exposed wire with a second crimp on the wire's insulation for strain/stress relief) but, IT'S (wait for it...) BROWN!!!

Barry
Who on some days works and screws-up and on other days just screws-up... ;-)

Barry

Quick Reply: 1986 Carrera 3.2 - Paris-Rhone Alternator Ground Wire