Valuation of '87 930 Turbo Slant/Slope Nose

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valuation of '87 930 Turbo Slant/Slope Nose

Recently found an '87 930 Turbo Slant Nose for sale. I don't have much experience with the older 911 other than my last '96 993. In order to make an informed decision to buy does anyone have an idea of value and what to look for during a PPI? Looks to be a solid car with 55K miles.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:48 PM
madmmac
Instructor

There is a huge difference in price between a factory and an aftermarket slantnose.

Do you have the option codes to verify a factory slant?
Old 12-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

The car has been decribed as a "dealer option/installed" steel slant nose conversion. It does not have the 055 code which I believe is the Factory built slant nose.
As a part of learning more about such P-Cars is therea signficant difference in performace, options, etc between the Factory vs Dealer installed slant nose? Bear in mind it may sound like a inane question to some but I a much more familiar with the 993 and 996.

Thanks for your response and Happy Holidays,
Old 12-25-2007, 07:13 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

to me, dealer installed is the same as anyone installed, if installing it right. Factory option is another story.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

remember, dealer installed does not mean it was Porsche parts. Many of the dealers purchased kits from Xxxxxxx xx xxxx now in Montclair, California who now spends most of his time cutting off slant noses and fat hips and restoring botched long hoods back to stock. The job should be undetectable and most important it should be the car you want.

EDIT: The guy is a friend and his shop is a private Porsche club, he may not want the publicity. (read: chop shop if you like)
Old 12-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A well put together slantnose will give you as much pleasure and fun as any well maintained older Porsche....but the aftermarket add-ons do not give you the value of a factory slant. Ther are quite a few of the kit slantnose cars runnning around.....some nicely done, some botched jobs. Is the one you're looking at a turbo? Does it have the oil cooler in the rear passenger's wheel well? Some of these are look-alikes but are missing a lot of the details of a factory slant. One of the most worrysome parts on the aftermarket slants are the headlights...typically a 944 bucket with independent motors rather than the single motor rotating both headlights thru a round bar to each bucket.

Slants are a design that people either love or hate. If you go over to the 930 forum here and on Pelican you can find a lot more info. Best of luck in your quest. Chuck
Old 12-25-2007, 05:06 PM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1st--is it a factory TURBO?
If it's a factory turbo, with dealer installed slant nose kit, i'd say it's worth LESS than an unmolested stock turbo. ie $27-35K (assuming no major problems, etc)

If it's not a factory turbo, but a dealer installed turbo and body kit, it ain't worth anything.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I have dozens of pictures of factory and non factory slat noses on my computer at work. If you are interested I can share. most noticable are the rocker panels.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the easiest way is to look at the headlights. If they don't look factory then they're from a RX-7 of the time. You won't have bright headlights and the assembly will cause you trouble unless you keep up with it.

This is why I converted my aftermarket slant nose into a 935 look alike (it all started with a bumper mod....).

And watch out for the slope...its pretty damn slippery.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:02 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd call Richard Sloan to discuss current market values on this type.
http://www.sloancars.com/vs1/default.asp
It is important to verify EVERYTHING about such an example... the PPI ought to be done by someone knowledgable on slant-noses (& don't overlook all the usual details on old 911s).
was the SN mod done...
- by the factory?
- by a US dealer w/ factory kit?
- by a US dealer w/ an aftermarket kit?
- by a private shop w/ a fact kit?
- by a private shop w/ an aftermarket kit?
- by a dealer / private shop who did lotsa conversions (or very few)?
- back-in-the-day or in recent years?
all these possibilities impact value, distinctly from the quality of the work itself (which, of course, also matters). at the rate things are going finding a really nice 87-89 911, a SN might be worth considering just to get a fine example (relatively low mileage / all-factory parts / well maintained / documented history / no rust or accidents). Good luck!
Old 12-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is a a pic of the car. Orginally from Inglewood, CA.

Adv. info:

3.3 LITER
Transmission 4-SPEED
Summary Black on black 911 Turbo with dealer-installed steel Slant Nose conversion. Optional sunroof, full power seats, factory alarm and 46,950 actual miles.
Description Black on black 911 turbo with dealer installed steel Slant Nose conversion. Optional sunroof, full power driver and passenger seats with lumbar adjusts on both sides, factory alarm and limited slip differential. The car has the original Blaupunkt "Reno" cassette player, complete handbooks and original maintenance stamps from the dealer in Inglewood, CA.

Great looking car. Obviously I need to inquire as to the type of Kit etc. as per Rennlist info. Great information......Thanks again ..... Rennlist Never Disappoints!!

Enjoy the Holidays,
Old 12-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

This is the short list of slants that will upload, some real, some very fake. Some of the cars I pulled right off Rennlist, one is a neighbors. enjoy. personally, they take me to that special place.
Attached Images            
Old 12-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

Continuing with my education on Slant Nose non-factory dealer installed option, what are the prominent tell tale signs that the car is not even close to a quasi-slant nose? Bottom line if the car is not factory is a 930 slant nose worth the investment (excluding the driving experience)?

Thanks,
Old 12-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Look for the jack hole in the rocker panel. unless you really know the cars well, that is the big give away.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Love the pictures, heh...
The rockers won't help...most kits use the factory part with the jack hole, although some use just a fabricated steel part.
Looking in the rear side fender vents for an oil cooler is a very sure sign of an original Slantnose, as almost no one ever retrofits something like that.
The headlights should have a single crossbar that can be seen when you open the hood, driven by a single motor, the kits (and there are exceptions) do have the RX-7 motors. They are pretty good, but the lights should be round...not rectangular.
I would offer an original is worth more (money wise) than a 'kit', but regardless if done right on a good car, shouldn't make the converted car worth less.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Valuation of '87 930 Turbo Slant/Slope Nose