Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is extra, primered trim ring necessary for H4 upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 03:19 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is extra, primered trim ring necessary for H4 upgrade?

I searched ... I really did!!!

When I look at the pictures of the Bosch H4 kit, it looks like the black ring that comes on the standard fixture could be painted if I'm careful with masking. Does the extra, very pricey ($75 each plus hardware) absolutely need to bought? When compared to the cost of the light itself, the price of the trim ring seems like highway robbery.

Also, has anyone found a good source for the paint (in a spray can, I assume) to paint the trim ring?
Old 08-05-2007, 03:30 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I painted the headlight rings on my first car with good results. The only real difference is that you can see the adjustment screws. No Biggy IMO.

Good luck and show us some pics when done.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:35 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

There are two kinds of H4 kits. One has chrome rings, which can have the painted trim piece overlay added to it. Then there's also a kit available with primered rings (instead of the chrome), which can simply be painted.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:46 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Default The rings are actually $53

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
There are two kinds of H4 kits. One has chrome rings, which can have the painted trim piece overlay added to it. Then there's also a kit available with primered rings (instead of the chrome), which can simply be painted.
I looked again and the rings you're speaking of, Jack, are actually $53 each on Pelican (I said $75 in my first post) for the primered ones with another $9 for some hardware. Reports have it that these cover rings are not that easy to install but my concern really was around being cheap. It looks like the rings that come with the headlamp kit itself are black and look ready to paint. I was hoping to have a nice looking solution while saving $120.

Psycoideas said he painted the black rings to match with good results. I was wondering, Psycoideas, if the little plastic inserts that come on the US headlights to cover the screws would work on the H4 holes?

Also, how about my question about a good spray paint source?
Old 08-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I found that my 82 Euro 930 had those trim rings on and thought they were some sort of aftermarket piece at the time. I hit one with a 3M pad to remove the paint, looks like they are solid brass. I was thinking I could polish them up and clearcoat them for ha-ha's... not. I still have them if anyone wants/needs them, will sell for 1/2 of new including shipping in the US.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:19 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just to clear up any confusion. The standard H4 for upgrading H5s comes with a ring that is part of the housing. It is painted satin black.

The 'intended' path from Porsche was to put ANOTHER ring over top to conceal the fixing screw & the 2 aiming screws. You can buy these in paintable black or chrome. But, to my eye, you don't need them because the 'housing' ones would easily pop out & would easily accept a coat of whatever color you needed.

Ian
Old 08-05-2007, 10:56 PM
tigerrat
Advanced

I got the extra rings and painted to match on my Carrera. The black ones are integral to the light assembly and I think you'd have to take apart to paint. You may want to order just the lights first to see first hand. Also IIRC, adjustments don't have a hole but the actual screw head sits there on the inner ring. Ken

Trending Topics

Old 08-06-2007, 01:04 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

It seems funny for Porsche -- the company that makes its wiper-arm nuts out of aluminum to save weight, would want two sets of steel rings around the headlights because of the adjusting screws being visible. But I don't doubt what Ian is saying.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:46 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Hello all,
Ian is right, and so is Gary R.

The “trim” rings are made of brass. You will need to paint them first with an Etch Primer that is suitable for non ferrous metals, then top coat them in your choice of colour.

Psycoideas said he painted the black rings to match with good results. I was wondering, Psycoideas, if the little plastic inserts that come on the US headlights to cover the screws would work on the H4 holes?
As Ken said,
Also IIRC, adjustments don't have a hole but the actual screw head sits there on the inner ring. Ken

Also, how about my question about a good spray paint source?
If I were you I’d buy Gary Rs “trim” rings.
As far as painting is concerned I think you’ll have to go to a reputable body shop and get them to do the work for you. You’ll want them matched to your car, Silver yeah?

Otherwise some good automotive stores will mix paint up to your code and put it in an aerosol can for you. This might be the way to go if you want to get out of it as cheaply as possible.
I’m guessing that your car is silver metallic with a clear coat on it?

If you want some advice on how to do it yourself just PM me.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:21 AM
KLehmann
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best way to paint the black housing ring (not the additional trim ring) is to disassemble the light housing. This consists of looseninng the aiming screws and removing a collection of springs which hold the ring to the reflector bucket. I've got some pictures at home I could post if need be.

The downside to this is you have to re-aim the lights when you're done. Which is not the worst thing since they're probably not aimed right when brand new, out-of-the-box anyway......
Old 08-06-2007, 10:46 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

The H4 upgrade.
Attached Images   
Old 08-12-2007, 09:13 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Default Gary, I may want to get those from you

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I found that my 82 Euro 930 had those trim rings on and thought they were some sort of aftermarket piece at the time. I hit one with a 3M pad to remove the paint, looks like they are solid brass. I was thinking I could polish them up and clearcoat them for ha-ha's... not. I still have them if anyone wants/needs them, will sell for 1/2 of new including shipping in the US.
Sorry to be so slow in getting back to this thread. Gary, is there any mounting hardware available with your set? It appears that there is supposed to be an inner and outer screw to install each of them. Also, did the 3M pad scratch them up, given how soft brass is? I'd want to paint them and wouldn't want to have the surface be rough. Finally what do you want for them and how would you want to be paid? I'd have them shipped to zip code 80112 if that's any help.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 157 Posts

I'll check if there were special screws, but they are held on by the one botton screw and sort of snap on over the inner rings as I remember. There aren't scratched, the 3M pad is like a dishwashing pad, They will paint up quite well. PM me and we can talk about price and payment once I dig them up to check condition and what the screw situation is.

What I need is the ring shown in the picture above labeled "Black Paintable Houshing" either painted or chromed, to hold my fiberglass headlight covers on my SC race car.. Anyone have a set?

Here is the PET showing both styles of lights. I need 91163193300 (#8), the covers are 8A.

Last edited by Gary R.; 06-18-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

You can elect not to bother with the trim ring and have the regular H4 trim ring painted. The only thing is you'll see the adjusting screws (4) No big deal, really.

If you go with the trim ring solution you will have to have the right hardware for these,--they are SS and are two parts,--the longer screw that secures the actual H4 unit to the body, and then a smaller screw that is put on to secure the trim ring after all is done.

Two installation tips. (1) Use something like a long skinny awl to align the mounting hole of the H4 with the hole on the body. Will make installation of the securing crew that much easier; and (2) take a close look at the drainage hole in the bottom of your headlight buckets. There is supposed to be a rubber one way valve arrangement that fits in that hole. It may be (1) missing or (2) filled with sand and grit that may be impeding the flow out of water. What I suggest you try is taking a shortened length of soda straw and inserting into the rubber tube to sort of keep it open. The chance of anything coming back up is slight compared to the ease in which these things get plugged up.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:30 AM
Bauba01
1st Gear

From what my parts guy tells me, the paintable trim ring was what was used in the SC era cars if you wanted to have a painted trim ring (what was available at the time). The secondary paintable trim ring with one hole came out in 86. Any feedback? Accuracy? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Is extra, primered trim ring necessary for H4 upgrade?