Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

NEVER buy a Husky floor jack!

Old 04-18-2007, 03:34 AM
Oshin11
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEVER buy a Husky floor jack!

Tomorrow I am returning this piece of [email protected] and getting myself a craftsman floor jack. The release valve on this poorly made jack is either on or off. It has excellent life but lets just say that lowering my car was a very scary experience. It dropped like a rock. I had jack stands about .5 inches below where the floor jack was holding the car so luckily the car dropped onto the jack but didn't flip them over. I am returning the Husky floor jacks as well, I don't trust the brand name anymore. Going to get myself a nice aluminum craftsman jack. Also I am not completely sure as to where to lift the car from the front. The 101 projects book does not have a very good picture where to lift from. I cannot locate the A-Arm mounting points. It is clear where to put the stands once the car is up but does anyone have a picture of where I should be lifting from?
Old 04-18-2007, 09:31 AM
theiceman
Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oshin

Release valves on this typw of floor jack can be VERY tricky. I notice every one is different when I go from jack to jack. You have to have a feel for it and be VERY gentle when rleasing the valve. Good luck with the sears one, I hear they are quite good.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:15 AM
ron mcatee
Addict
Rennlist Member

oshin11, I don't have a picture of the underneath part of the front of the car, but I usually use one of the front supports of the "A" arms to get the car off the ground and the put one jack stand under the other side. I can get my car high enough to do that. I then remove the jack and go to the other side and do the same.

Another way is to go to the jack points just behind the front wheels and using a block of wood , jack from there. Alternate from one side to the other. Just be careful not to hit the A/C hoses on the left and the oil cooler lines on the right side where they bend and go under the car. The A/C hoses are rubber so you probably won't hurt them, but you don't want to bend those oil cooler lines or your in for a costly repair fix.

I'm sure others have different points they use, but these have been effective points to jack from for me. Good luck.

Spider911
Old 04-18-2007, 10:36 AM
srf506
User

Okay, I'll tell you this, but if you screw it up its on you and not me. On the 930 there is a "rub rail" in the very front of the nose behind the front facia that if you crawl under and look you'll see. If you get your jack precisely centered on that its strong enough to lift the front on. However, be very careful you are solidly centered only on that bar! If the car slips or your not on it precisely you can do a lot of very expensive damage to the nose, oil cooler, etc. and etc. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, or you've modified your car and that bar is no longer there, than I highly recommend you get out you jack pad and lift each side from the jack points.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
SeattlePorsche
User

I am glad you are getting the Craftsman. I am very happy with mine. Spend a lot of money on the jack and jackstands. Safety issue. I would consider getting the larger 3 ton jackstands because you will need them when you do the engine drop one day.

Plus, it is like free breaker bars...
Old 04-18-2007, 12:41 PM
emac
User

Oshin

I also have the Craftsman jack and stands. They came as a set and I love them. May I suggest
you buy a jack pad. Your issues for placing the jack will be over.

Ernie 81SC
Old 04-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Jay Laifman
User

On those jack pads, those things that are a square bar with a round plate welded on them, interestingly as I understand it they were designed to be put in with the round plate on the verticle plane. So, as the jack lifts the car, the round plate rotates in the cradle of the jack. This is even how it's pictured in many ads. But, there are also lots of ads out there that show the plate horizontally, which is how I used it for many years until I found out the correct way to use it.

Oh, and yes, I use it whether I need to get to front or rear up.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:19 PM
KC911
User

Originally Posted by Jay Laifman
On those jack pads, those things that are a square bar with a round plate welded on them, interestingly as I understand it they were designed to be put in with the round plate on the verticle plane. So, as the jack lifts the car, the round plate rotates in the cradle of the jack. This is even how it's pictured in many ads. But, there are also lots of ads out there that show the plate horizontally, which is how I used it for many years until I found out the correct way to use it.

Oh, and yes, I use it whether I need to get to front or rear up.
Well, I just learned something new

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 04-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Brett San Diego
User

Originally Posted by KC911
Well, I just learned something new

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Same here. Makes sense. It always did bug me a little how the plate didn't sit flush on the jack when the car was lifted.

Brett
Old 04-18-2007, 01:40 PM
srf506
User

Yep, that is the correct way to use them. An "old-timer" showed me that trick years ago. He got a good chuckle out of me fiddling around trying to get them in the jack's pad before he told me how to use them. Must've been 10-15minutes of my life I'll never get back, but I learned something so I guess it wasn't all wasted. By the way, it was the same guy that taught me that bar trick on the front-end.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Tippy
Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend has a craftsman jack, it has the same scary release also.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:21 PM
emac
User

There must be many of us that use the plate the wrong way-- I may be wrong but I get a very useasy feeling thinking of having the plate vertical. When my plate is placed in the jack I have not seen any issues, as the car raises the jack moves forward. But I will give it a try

Ernie 81SC
Old 04-18-2007, 02:28 PM
KC911
User

I agree Ernie, but it is interesting. I've been using a hockey puck for the plate to rest on and that works great, but I will try it the 'correct' way to see for myself.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 04-18-2007, 02:31 PM
emac
User

Keith

Let me know how it goes, I am so intrigued I will give it a go when I get home

Ernie 81SC
Old 04-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Jay Laifman
User

I've done it both ways and admittedly, I haven't seen much if any difference. That said, what's the point of the plate if not to rotate as mentioned? Why not just have a square rod to stick in? Look at the plate in the horizontal plane as you jack it up. What is touching the jack? Really just the square rod coming out of the jacking point on the edge of the jack's cradle. The round plate is irrelevant. The rod would be fine by itself.

So, actually, when I do a low lift, I don't know that it matters. But, when I have to jack it up extra high, I worry that the motion of the jack could pull at the jack pad at the edge of the horizontal plate. So, I tend to use it vertical on the higher lifts to make sure it doesn't have that lip and it has the round plate to rotate. That said, I've never seen it come close to an issue either way.

I agree on the concern about all that weight on the side of the plate. What if the weld fails? What if the plate bends or breaks? I don't have the answer to those. I guess the hope is that the guy who came up with the idea made sure the welds and the plates would be strong enough. But, who knows about all the guys who have come along and copied it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NEVER buy a Husky floor jack!

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: