Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

no brake lights, no cruise control, worked yesterday???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 12:39 AM
elayne bray
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no brake lights, no cruise control, worked yesterday???

We adopted our first Porsche 911. It's a one owner '88 Cabrio that is still in bone stock, mint condition.(57,000 miles) Our first trouble seems to be in the brake/cruise control electrical circuit. All the fuses look good in the trunk. The wires on the fuse block apear to be in good shape. I would think it was just a bulb, but there are seven bulps, not likely all the bulbes burned out in one day. The cover on the fuse box says brakes and cruise are together.
No lights, no cruise, no drive.... help me please.
I guess the $20,000 was just the down payment.

thank you,
Douglas and Elayne
Just off Route 66 in sunny So Cal
Old 01-28-2007, 01:15 AM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Doug
Try same-same fuse in correct slot from another location, fuse may look good but might be toast...did you have a PPI done? Dont start freaking out until you see tow trucks and mechanics following you around...now all you need to do is post pics of new family member..
Congrats and keep the faith
Frank
Old 01-28-2007, 01:16 AM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

oops, sorry Elayne, didnt intend to leave you out! welcome etc etc !
Old 01-28-2007, 01:32 AM
elayne bray
Track Day

thank you Frank,
We did, sort of...The mechanic offered me $28,000 and said it had a new top, new toyo tires, the original stereo and speekers, all new cluth work and oil system. I've taken it out six times in the two weeks i've had it. I warmed it up one night and jumped on the freeway.......zero to 145+ on the on ramp. I drove home and spent some time in front of my reef tank trying to relax. don't tell elayne it goes that fast..

I'll try the fuses.

thank you,
douglas
Old 01-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 131 Posts

There may be in the 88 cars a little tricky switch under the pedal cluster (it was in slightly earlier cars) taht needs adjustment. It's a bear to get to. If always engaged the cruise control will think that the clutch pedal is in and thus it will never allow the tempostat (cruise) to work.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:01 PM
elayne bray
Track Day

Thanks guys,

I tried the fuses and that didn't help. how do I get under the pedals? Where can i get "the book" on this kind of stuff. I'm gonna go looking some more.

thank you again,
douglas
Old 01-30-2007, 11:08 AM
elayne bray
Track Day

ok, i drove out to performance products in hope of asking a fiew questions and picking up "the book". I some how left there without it. I removed the wood under the pedals looking for one little $65.00 part. back to busted knucles, cramped hands, and blood dripping all over everything. I'm going back for "the book"....I believe at this point that it may be the cruise control sending unit. the power should go to it befor it goes the the brakes sensor and the fuses and on to the lights. I just couldn't get a tester on it. It should have constant power. The center console comes out next. see you soon.

douglas
Old 01-31-2007, 02:24 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Hey there, welcome to the forum. A while ago I had my DME fried by my alternator, it also fried the cruise control but I am not certain of that. My brake light didnt work and my left arrow in the rear. My mechanic said that is why the cruise doesnt work. He fixed the brake and left arrow light, yet my cruise control still didnt work. I still havent fixed it and I dont really care much to fix it, its just cruise control. My car still runs like a champ and I guess if you live in LA like I do there is never an opportunity to use cruise control haha.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:39 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahhhhh my brake lights and cruise just stopped working too, I did think it must be a faulty brake switch that would effect the cruise aswell, but then read these cars have a pressure switch. I'll have a good look this weekend.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:40 AM
PorscheMD
Racer

The brake lights have to work for the cruise to work. Your car does have pressure switches on the mastercylinder. If it is not the fuse or bulbs, I would put these in.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:28 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheMD
The brake lights have to work for the cruise to work. Your car does have pressure switches on the mastercylinder. If it is not the fuse or bulbs, I would put these in.
The switches are easy to replace, and you can get them at your local Autozone.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:57 PM
rscredon
Instructor

Welcome to the forum. Must have books: Haynes auto maual, The used 911 story, and 101 Projects for your 911. I too am having trouble with my cruise control, but my brake lights work. Should I be looking at the pedal cluster also? Be sure to post pictures of your "adoption".
Old 01-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, thanks guys. I went back and got the book, what a help!
First: i learned that the key has to be in "acc." or "on" for the stop lights to work.
second: the fuse does have power to and from it as my test light lights up now.
third: I can get my test light to come on at the switch on the master c., but had nobody to step on the pedal to test it beond that.
I'm beginning to think there is a short somewhere after the switch. I hope it is just the switch.
tonight I am going to bypass the switch and do something really bright, I'm gonna change all the bulbs.

Thanks everybody, especially the parts counter at performance,

douglas
Old 01-31-2007, 10:56 PM
elayne bray
Track Day

guess what?! I have brake lights!!!!!!!!!!

Well, on my way home I stopped at pep boys and picked up a roll of 18ga. wire and a variety pack of terminals. I fabricated up a nice little jumper with six inches of wire and two male terminals. I went out to the car, turned on the key, pulled the terminal block off the switch on the master cylander, plugged in my jumper, and on went the brake lights. now I've gotta find an autozone with the switch. do i dare remove the one on the car and take it with me, or will the parts counter know what I am looking for? Will fluid spill out when I remove the switch? should I get one from the Porsche dealer in the morning? and last but not least, will this make everything right in the world again?
Yes i love this car more every day!

Thank you every one,
Douglas
Old 01-31-2007, 11:19 PM
elayne bray
Track Day

auto zone is two blocks away and they have two of them...It's an $8.00 part.

bently book $130.00

wire/ terminal (micky mouse ) jumper $9.50

test light $3.39

time with my son, and the Porsche Priceless

douglas

Quick Reply: no brake lights, no cruise control, worked yesterday???