PMO carbs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Brucechas
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PMO carbs.

Greetings all,

I'm wondering if anyone has installed PMO webers on a 3.0 motor? I would like to know overall results, dependability etc.

Thanking you in advance,

Bruce
Old 01-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Bruce:

Yessir, dozens of these conversions, to date,..... We are PMO Dealers.

These things really increase throttle response as well as overall torque but need to be used with a SSI-Sport muffler exhaust to make it worthwhile.

As long as one fully understands how to set these up and is willing to invest the time, its really neat!
Old 01-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Now here's a question you probably don't get when asking about putting carbs on a 3.0....how is the mileage?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:38 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Now here's a question you probably don't get when asking about putting carbs on a 3.0....how is the mileage?
Well Doug,....mileage is all about how they are setup and jetted as well as what your right foot position is,....

They CAN do very well.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Well Doug,....mileage is all about how they are setup and jetted as well as what your right foot position is,....

They CAN do very well.
Care to share a rough estimate on what the conversion goes for? Are the ones to use the 46mm???

46mm around US$2700 + US$600 for the installation kit + ???

Thanks you. Something I have in my wish list and would like to know how much I have to budget for....

Last edited by Wachuko; 01-29-2007 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Updating the price on the PMO. My initial posted price was from a year ago...
Old 01-28-2007, 10:46 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Care to share a rough estimate on what the conversion goes for? Are the ones to use the 46mm???

46mm around US$2500 + US$600 for the installation kit + ???

Thanks you. Something I have in my wish list and would like to know how much I have to budget for....
Jaime:

I tailor the carburetor size and configuration to each particular engine's displacement, cams, compression and how its being used.

These run $ 3300 for the complete 46mm kit.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:46 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

yes, plus labor to install and tune

BUT, if you really want what the carbs can offer it is MUCH more expensive: you need new cams, new pistons + labor. But you then get a real powerhouse.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:23 AM
Brucechas
Rennlist Member

Thanks a million for the great info on the PMO's, Steve...I emailed you at your shop and am looking forward to working with you.

Thanks again,

Bruce
Old 01-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They CAN do very well.
Good to hear. I'm more of a "use it as a daily-ish driver but love to get on it once in a while" kind of 911 owner. So mileage is kinda important to me. I just don't want to get 12mpg in a car I'll drive frequently.

That is if I can't sell it.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:24 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Jaime:

I tailor the carburetor size and configuration to each particular engine's displacement, cams, compression and how its being used.

These run $ 3300 for the complete 46mm kit.
Thank you for the information.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:41 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Done PMO's quite a few times.

Great carbs. You need to really understand how to get the cross bar linkage geometry correct. I wish Richard would mold in the bosses for the cross bar into the carb bodies like the Porsche MFI. This would go a LONG way towards taking a good thing and making it great.

Also, you need to have a good understanding of carb setup & calibration.

Mileage > Sucks (it ain't ever gonna get 20MPG)
Performance > Excellent
Drivability > Good (depends on your knowledge of carb calibration)

No cold start/choke feature. Not a problem in Southern California... but could be a problem elsewhere.

TonyG
Old 01-29-2007, 10:34 PM
joetiii
Intermediate

Hi Bruce:

These things really increase throttle response as well as overall torque but need to be used with a SSI-Sport muffler exhaust to make it worthwhile.
I've got PMO 40s on my stock 3.0 SC motor with SSI's and an M&K 2 in 1 out. As mentioned above, its got great throttle response.

I'm curious Steve, how the carbs make for better torque???

I plan on updating my '82 engine with new cams next season and am thinking about how extreme a profile I should run.

I was under the impression that a warmed up street / track car would do fine with 40s while 46s should be considered for higher compression / more overlap cams. No?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:58 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

joetiii

I had a rebuilt '82 (small port) SC engine, bone stock except SSI exhaust, M&K 2 in/2 out muffler, Web Cam 20/21 cams, and PMO 40mm carbs.

Made 199.xxx HP to the rear wheels SAE corrected on a dynojet.

Also, you are better off using 40mm carbs on the small port heads, as you will be using either a 34mm or 36mm venturi.

Here's the dyno (with 34mm venturies):

TonyG
Old 01-30-2007, 12:43 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by joetiii
I'm curious Steve, how the carbs make for better torque???

I plan on updating my '82 engine with new cams next season and am thinking about how extreme a profile I should run.

I was under the impression that a warmed up street / track car would do fine with 40s while 46s should be considered for higher compression / more overlap cams. No?

Hi Joe:

A simplified answer is that PMO's one-throttle-per-cylinder offers 6 short columns of air for each cylinder to accelerate when the intake valves open, compared to a common-plenum intake with one throttle plate serving all 6 cylinders. Intake velocity in each stack is much faster than the common-plenum systems, depending on venturi diameters.

I will also mention that we've done some common-plenum intakes using the resonance chamber and added individual throttle butterflies (ITB's) to each runner instead of the big single throttle and the results are simply amazing. The throttle response just as good as carbs or MFI much a much flatter torque curve. Of course, we use Engine Management to tune these systems.

Camshaft limitations in your motor lie with your stock pistons which cannot tolerate much valve lift. 964 or 20/21 cams are about it unless you install pistons with double valve reliefs. I'm no fan of the common practice of machining stock pistons for more clearance.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:15 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony,

Thanks for posting your dyno data. I like the relatively tall and flat torque curve with your 20/21's. Did you have special compression ratio P/C's or stock 3.0 CIS ones? (if so, are they US or Euro?)

By the way, a belated thanks for the sun visors. I had to go to a funeral about the time I got them and I wasn't much in the writing mood. But anyways, much thanks. (Where have you been lately?)

Quick Reply: PMO carbs.