Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Alternator Belt Not Tight

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 02:56 PM
Bob Springer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Alternator Belt Not Tight

I'm just finishing up a rebuild and can't quite figure out why the alternator belt would be loose. As far as I know there isn't any way to tenision it and as it is, it isn't tight enough. I know there are different belts used on the 80-89 911's that are 15 mm shorter. It seems like that would be the size I need. Any clues as to what the problem might be?
Old 09-26-2002, 03:32 PM
emac
Racer

Bob
There are [or should be] about six shims behind the nut of the pulley. If you belt is too loose add a couple of these shims to the rear of the pulley and this will tighten the belt. Reverse to loosen the belt. But remember to always place the shims not used behind the nut.
Hope this helps.

Ernie
Old 09-26-2002, 03:45 PM
Bob Springer
Advanced

Ernie,

I thought the shims were just to align the pulley on the fan with the pulley on the crankshaft. I think I have about 6 shims behind the nut and 3 behind the pulley, I'll try moving them and see if that works. Appreciate the help.
Old 09-29-2002, 01:55 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bob: You should have a total of six shims. Whatever you don't use behind the pulley should be placed behind the nut. Be sure you have six shims -- no more, no less. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Alternator Belt Not Tight