911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

RE050A's need to shave for track day?

Old 09-30-2006, 07:03 PM
btr4me
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE050A's need to shave for track day?

Green driver brand new RE050A's. I'm going out to have fun and learn, not set records, do I have to worry about chunking if I don't shave the tires?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Chris57
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you will be fine for a track day or two before worrying about shaving. That way if you dont go back for a while you can still have good tires for street. Most important things to learn other than awareness of other cars and safety things is proper lines and technique. Braking points, checking mirrors and flag stations for yellows. I have raced scca and I think there is a lot to learn long before car setup.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:18 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with Chris...don't worry about your tires (other than the fact that they have decent life left and proper pressures for track) as a new driver. As a green group driver, you WILL go out and have fun and learn, and you WON'T set any records, so reality will likely match your goals! You'll find that the car and it's respective components (tires, brakes) won't be the limiting factor...the driver will be the limiting factor. Your tires will be fine for the job. Enjoy your first DE!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RE050A's need to shave for track day?