Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

OIL LEAK DIAGNOSIS

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 03:09 PM
oto60
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL LEAK DIAGNOSIS

Just experienced my first oil leak. I took the car to my mechanic and he diagnoses the leak from the left side chain housing. The right one is also starting to leak. I am being quoted the following:

1 set valve cover caskets
chain housing gaskets (2)
Timing cover gasket set
muffler gasket
oil filter and oil

Mechanic sais that he has to remove muffler and engine rear support and remove timing chain housing. Re-seal housing and reset valve timing. Valve adjustment also needed. He wanted to charge me about 750.00 Labor and 100 parts. Does this diagnosis seem right? Just wanted some opinions on this. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:55 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,775 Likes on 1,110 Posts

How bad is it leaking? I have a small leak by the distributor and it only leaks about 3 drops a day. As I understand it, these cars are prone to leaking. I don't understand whey timing would have to be adjusted unless he is pulling the chain and/or tensioners off. The leak is just a gasket, right?
Old 09-01-2006, 02:38 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Your mechanic is correct about what parts have to be taken off to get to the chain cover/housing gaskets. Usually when those gaskets leak, however, it is because that camshaft seal that is accessable inside the chain housing is leaking. Make sure he checks those seal(s) and replaces if necessary. this could make it a bit more expensive but worth it if you want the leak to stop. Since he is inside the chain housing , this is also a good time to verify that the cam timing is correct and change if necessary. this only takes a couple minutes and in theory should not cost any more if he is already in there. You have to remove valve covers as well to do this so I;m sure that is why he says he wants to adjust valves too, which is 1 hour by the book and what he would probably charge.

As for $750, I don't know this shop's labor rate so I don't know if it is reasonable. Double check what the flat rate manual says for this job, I don't remember how much my shop charges for this. It only takes a couple hours for me to do this, but book rate might be 3 or 4. Hope this helps.

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
Old 09-01-2006, 09:25 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

I have the same leak , at both Cam seals. There is a gasket and an oring in there. Sounds about right.

Quick Reply: OIL LEAK DIAGNOSIS