Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

DME

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 04:48 PM
bruceab13
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DME

Thanks for all the responses on the electrical issues. They have been solved!

New issue. I had the 120,000 mile service performed on the 1986 911 Carrera.
When I picked it up they said, "we've got it running 200% better than it was," but you will notice that the RPMs at Idle will remain high (1800-2000) for a while at stop lights and then drop to normal after a few seconds (12-15) because the DME is cracked and we had to adjust accordingly." What the heck is the DME?

They said I will eventually want to replace the DME at a cost of $2500 for parts and labor (adjustments to valves, etc. that I assume are the same adjustments they just made to make it operate with the cracked DME).

1) Wouldn't it have been simpler (and less costly to me) to call me and ask if they should replace the DME while doing the other work?

2) Does the adjustment they made make sense for this high idle and subsequent drop to compensate for the cracked DME? I don't believe that equates to an improvement from the previous idle/running of the car.

3) Is the cost basis for the replacement seem reasonable?

4) Can I adjust "curb idle" anywhere to reduce this high idle?

Thanks, I look forward to the responses.
This being a newbie owner is a little scary!
Old 07-21-2006, 05:13 PM
BReyes
Racer

I would take the car to a another shop Monday. He may be talking about your computer. It seems as it is not your DME, but is fixable. How do you know it is not binding? Your throttle linkage may require lubrication or it may be slightly bent the wrong way. Or you may have a bad idle control valve or maybe just dirty. It could be your microswitch is dirty or bad. Oh and you mention adjusting the valves, yes have it done every 15k.

Goodluck.

Regards,
Old 07-21-2006, 05:20 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you were fed a bunch of nonsense. If the DME is bad (maybe a solder point broke) it can be replaced for about $500-600. Loren (a participant on this thread from time-to-time ) may be helpful in that respect. I don't recall his URL, but I think he does that for a living. The only adjustments I know of after replacing the DME box would be setting CO, if out of tolerance. If you had a 120,000 mile maintenance done, it shouldn't have to re-done due to a DME replacement.

You can adjust the curb idle, but if after 12-15 seconds it comes down by itself, you may create another problem. See what other inputs you get from other Pelicanites. I'm no expert, but when I had DME problems, I just changed it out and all was solved. It was a plug-and-play type thing.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:03 PM
randomhick35
Instructor

the fact that he didn't tell you about the DME until he already had everything adjusted to work without it seems somewhat suspect to me. as you say, why wouldn't he just calll and ask if you wanted to replace it them before he got into all the fine tuning? how long have you known this shop?
Old 07-21-2006, 06:26 PM
bruceab13
Cruisin'

Default DME

This is the local Porsche dealership.

I have since called them back to discuss my displeasure.
Their reasoning they didn't tell me before, was the service manager accepted the mechanics assurrance that it was now running "200%" better so that I probably wouldn't want or need to make the change.

They also said that the only module they could find was in Atlanta and several days shipping away.

All fairly flimsy excuses. Just poor customer service! If they had told me earlier they probably could have got that addition service revenue while I was a "captive" customer. Now, it's unlikely I'll head back there.

Thanks for the response
Old 07-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

First, the car can't run without the DME hooked up. A valve adjustment is a valve adjustment. They either did it right or did it wrong - it's a purely mechanical adjustment done to a spec. They say the car runs 200% better than it did - does it? It sounds like you're getting fed a bunch of hooey (technical term for crap). A "cracked" DME? Now that's a new one, at least I've never heard the terminology before. Bernard is correct, take the time to find another shop and get another opinion ASAP. Your problem could be as simple as an idle stabilizer, or perhaps the CO% can't be set correctly because of a faulty air flow meter. In either case the cost is nowhere close to the quoted amount. Sorry, setting idle speed on a Carrera is a process far more specific than turning a screw on a carburetor.
Pete
Old 07-21-2006, 09:48 PM
johnnyo
Track Day

If you determine that you need a DME don't spend the big money first try to swap with someone else with a good known DME ieasily done if yours is faulty I have one 24 pin from an 84 911 that I can sell for $500 shipped, wish you luck, by the way get a second opinion .
Old 07-21-2006, 11:04 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact Loren at www.systemsc.com. He's an expert on these units.

Quick Reply: DME