Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.6L - I'm going for it...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 06:12 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 3.6L - I'm going for it...

Well, after foolishly letting the local wrench rack up a few hours into the 2.7Ls top end, I decided to go ahead and do the 3.6L upgrade. I bought a fresh-rebuilt 3.6L engine this morning, and I am getting the conversion kit from Dr. Steve Timmins. I'm also getting the Zucs (sp) cone filter kit, Cyntex chip, Sachs power clutch, and a B&B exhaust. Then I'm going down to Costco and getting a truckload of Top Ramen, 'cause that's what I'll be eating for the next few months.
I'm kinda kicking myself 'cause I didn't have the testicular veracity to make the 3.6l decision right off; I was hoping for a cheap save by the local wrench, and I'm into him for about 15 hours of labor starting the teardown on the 2.7L - all of the valves are bent, and he'd talked me into a valve job on it.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:04 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts
Don't forget to plan on upgrading the oil cooler, I found the B&B front spoiler mount to work perfectly. Pics at my web site.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:11 PM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There were a lot of independent Porsche shops that existed strictly on repairing the frail 2.7l.
Kept them in the chips, so to speak.
Old 07-31-2001, 09:44 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Thom,

I am glad that you finally settle for the 3.6L engine. Anything else might not sastify your appetite for more power.

Saw your post on selling your Mig wheels. I guess you're putting everything in one basket to get the 3.6L. Good luck to you and hope your car will be back on the road again soon.

Sonny Vo
ps: For almost the same reason that your car got bent valves I didn't even bother to downshift from second to first in my Turbo at my last autox, where there was a very tight hairpin turn. I was having fun and did not care about a couple of seconds faster and mess up either the tranny or engine. It would be a whole lot more expensive on a '92 3.3L turbo engine
Old 07-31-2001, 11:39 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Thom I was once in the same position as you. My car was always broke crawling slow and running like crap. I wanted to go fast but the turbo engine upgrade built by pete at andial was about 40k not to cheap. At that same time I was going to my local porsche runs getting drilled by the big $$ turbos, in a nut shell they handed me my ***. I decided I had enough abuse. Small block chevy power was the way to go so I built a aluminum head 550hp tricked out small block and let it rip. I went to my next porsche run and tore them a new ***. I beat every turbo in the area. I know the porsche purist hate the idea of a small block chevy in the car but my check book loves it. I respect porsche with all its great racing history don't get me wrong but I just wanted to keep up with the turbos. Like they say if you want to play you gotta pay big hp cost big $$. just my 2 cents SWAMP MONSTER
Old 07-31-2001, 11:46 PM
Steve, 914 guy
Instructor

Thom, Would you be interested in selling the complete 2.7? I'm casually looking for a frail 2.7 longterm project to replace my even more frail 2.1 4 cyl in my poor little racecar.

George, ouch on my little purist ***.
How's you front trunk space?
Old 08-01-2001, 12:57 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
If I were you (and I was, come to think of it), I'd put your money into a worthwhile oil cooling system before you fork over all that money for B&B's booming exhaust. I started with a Carrera exhaust, which gives better torque for street driving, but less peak horsepower on the track. When I go to headers, (soon) I'll get a second goose in the power department (which is nice), but with less impact on the wallet, since I'll be going with GHL headers.

Other than those pricey headers, though, your plan sounds great. Steve Timmins knows his stuff backwards and forwards. If you're anywhere near him, I'd suggest paying him to do the swap. He's fast at that, I hear.

Tell him Jack Olsen says hello, and continues to drive the heck out of his 73/93 rocket.
Old 08-01-2001, 01:22 AM
Pete911air
Instructor

Originally posted by George 911-V8:
<STRONG>Thom I was once in the same position as you, my car was crawling slow and the turbo engine upgrade done by pete at andial was 40k. I was going to my local pca runs and let me tell you it wasn't nothing nice in a nut shell they handed me my ***. I decided small block chevy power was the way to go so I built a aluminum head 550hp small block and let it rip. I went to my next pca run and tore them a new *** and I beat every turbo in the area LOL. I know all porsche purist hate the car but so what its my check book. All I know is I'm first on race day and to me thats all that counts just my 2 cents SWAMP MONSTER </STRONG>
George,
I went through my files and I cannot find any documentation that shows we worked on your engine. Also, you must be dreaming about the $ 40k.I only wish that would have been true. If you can provide me with any proof that we touched your car, I will be happy to appologize and kiss your ***. However, since I am sure you will be unable to come up with such proof, I think that you should refrain from spreading any false rumors about the work we do at Andial.

Pete @ Andial
Old 08-01-2001, 02:11 AM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Thats the cost of a race engine pete and no you have never touched my car. I was just going by what your cost for a twin turbo race engine is 40k. I didn't mean for the error with all respect. Pete I know what it cost to go twin turbo 500hp+ fast and so do you, its big paper.
SWAMP MONSTER
Old 08-01-2001, 10:00 AM
Steve, 914 guy
Instructor

Pete, do you remember a guy named Frank who used to work at Andial?
He had done an apprenticeship at Porsche, worked for you awhile, later moved up north to go to Cal Poly.
I worked with him for a year or so, then he got a job at Bosch in Germany.
Any idea how to reach him? My email is tamikow@campgoldenheart.org if you have any info. Thanks, Steve
Old 08-01-2001, 10:53 AM
George 911-V8
Pro

Pete whatever the cost is for a twin turbo race engine set on kill with enough hp to roll past my old crude pushrod motor please post it up. I'm sure one of these big money high dollar purist that can buy and sell me overnight would love to buy one just to shut my big mouth. One last note after the money is spent lets see if it can walk the walk or just talk the talk. I'm sitting back waiting and ready for battle somebody please buy petes motor I need some extra cash, my pitbulls buckwheat and the reddog need some dog food.

SWAMP MONSTER
Old 08-01-2001, 12:47 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

FWIW, the mis-shift was intended to go to *3rd*; he got up to about 6k or so in 2nd, then went to grab 3rd, and got 1st instead, and let the clutch out. This was also on a set of warmed up Kumhos, so the wheels didn't even bark when he let the clutch out

I actually *watched* him do it from the sidelines...
Old 08-01-2001, 12:50 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Yes, the old engine will be up for grabs. It was actually in good shape, and still had good leakdown numbers, and didn't leak much oil. It was rebuilt a few years ago, and got the head stud update, and the thermal reactors were tossed out at that time. It also has the 245mm 11-blade fan, but with the small pulley mounted, which makes it move a *lot* of air.

Originally posted by Steve, 914 guy:
<STRONG>Thom, Would you be interested in selling the complete 2.7? I'm casually looking for a frail 2.7 longterm project to replace my even more frail 2.1 4 cyl in my poor little racecar.

George, ouch on my little purist ***.
How's you front trunk space?</STRONG>
Old 08-01-2001, 04:47 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Pete I mean the real pete from andial its a little quiet keyboard broke over there? Buckwheat and the reddog are hungry and so is my V8 waiting on you.

SWAMP MONSTER PETE COME AND GET SOME
Old 08-02-2001, 06:45 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Hey George 911-V8 - I just checked out the V8 page - interesting. I'm sure you get asked these a lot:
  • Where in the heck is the radiator? Is that it up in the front dam?
  • Have you ever dynoed the car?
  • How much does a conversion like that set one back?

It's an interesting car, but the endless rhetoric on the info page gave me a headache.

Quick Reply: 3.6L - I'm going for it...