Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Couple of option code questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 06:44 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of option code questions...

So for kicks I looked at the option code sticker under the lid, and found:

C02 (Catalytic Convertor)
018 (Sport Steering Wheel w/ elevated hub)
395 (Light Weight Wheels, Forged)
454 (Automatic Speed Control)
900 (Tourist Delivery)

Not a whole lot of options, especially as mine has AC, int. wipers, etc. Not sure what's standard & what's an option, honestly.

Anyway, to the questions:
1) Since the tire sticker in the engine bay states 16" tires, I assume the 395 code is for 16" Fuchs. Any idea if that's a specific size? I didn't get the Fuchs with the car, bought some 6's & 7's for snows after.
2) 900 Tourist Delivery - how did that work? The 1st owner goes overseas & take delivery in Germany (I assume), and then what, drops the 911 in an envelope & mails is back to the states? What would transport back across end up costing? Just curious.
3) 018 Sport Steering Wheel - what does that look like, sounds like something a little different than usual.

Thanks all!
Old 04-14-2006, 12:17 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The forged wheel option on the 84 was the Fuchs, I believe in 16" x 6 & 7.

The Tourist Delivery (aka European Delivery) means that the person ordered the car here through the dealer, and then took delivery of the car in Zuffenhausen at the factory. They give you lunch, you sign some papers, you take a tour, and then they show you your car. You can keep it in Germany for up to 6 months under current laws, and then it must be exported to the US (or whatever county it is going to). They come over with the other new Porsches, and are sent to the dealer for pickup. (I did a Euro delivery with my dad back in 89 on his new C4. I also did the same thing with my M3 in 2002. Great fun!) The shipping is all part of the deal. You don't have to ship or insure your own car.

Not sure about the steering wheel, but think it is the four spoke "Porsche" wheel with the spacer hub, to get the wheel a bit higher and closer to the driver.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:17 AM
wholberg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) I think Fuchs were the only forged wheel offered, so that seems reasonable.
2)Today, it means picking up your car in Europe and Porsche will arrange for short-term insurance coverage for you. I don't know if they arranged for shipping as well. My 87 also has a Tourist Delivery option.
3)My 87 has an Italvolanti wheel with what looks like a Momo hub, and it matches the interior color exactly. Italvolanti wheels went on some of the early Turbos, but I don't know if the sport steering wheel was a factory or dealer installed option.

Quick Reply: Couple of option code questions...