Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Special tools for Top end engine rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 01:38 AM
sprocket3
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Ohh Man. I wish i could find you when i needed to sell my money pit of an old SC that needed $15,000 worth of work and was only worth $9,000. It is my humble opinion that you are going to get just burned on one of these project cars. Though some don't like my opinion much around here!

My advice: Take the $5000 that you have. Get a loan for about another 5-8k, and buy the cleanest ready to drive car you can find. That extra money now, will save your three times as much in repairs and upgrades.

But you will likely do as I did, and buy what looks like a good deal on the surface.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:09 AM
Ron Minson
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just know that you are going to fall in love with each car that you see and want to take it home. If you want a project car you are going that direction. Just know that you are going to spend more on a project car than if you buy something that is sorted out in the first place. Spend the money on a good PPI even if it is a project car so that you know what your getting into.

FWIW spend the money up front, get something that you can drive and love and then buy a second to try and fix up.

Ron
Old 03-07-2006, 08:52 AM
911-wanna-b
8th Gear

I am going to look at the 72 today, worst case I buy it then part it out on ebay, I will get pics of the car as I am just going to look at it today, I like taking on projects and the thing that I am looking at on this 72 is that the value will keep climbing and in a year or two, or maybe sooner, sell it after I complete it. I am going to put the car back to original with maybe a touch of custom interior work (which I do myself), As for the interior it is in pretty good condition as the car has been pretty much garaged all of its life (all of the owners have been friends/ neighbors, 3 owners to date), and the door pockets are still securely installed, which is rare for this age. So by me doing all the paint and what little upholstery it does have I "should" come out ahead on this car. but if i do take a loss, it won't be the first time, but the other projects I have done, makes everything even out or just slightly ahead.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:55 AM
red911 Targa
Advanced

As someone that loves to work on these cars, to buy a sound chassis, working motor and all the details the way you want to see it apart (i.e. epoxy painted) is a nice way to start in Porsches. I own seven of them, of which one runs and the second one is almost done. The rest are pretty original, but rebuildable.

My advice, ifin you're pleased and the price seems okay. Have a blast redoing it!!

Just keep us posted on your progress!!

Tom

Cars:
1988 Carrera Targa (I bought it 'cause the other ones were not done, and I wanted a Porsche to drive)
1966 911 Coupe (all done but the engine and I did it all, and I mean all myself - - rust repair, body work, paint, plating (Caswell's), powder coating and interior.
1967 911 Coupe - - next project, since I now know how to spell 911
3 - 1963 356 Coupes (red, white and blue ones)
1957 356 Coupe
Old 03-08-2006, 12:06 PM
911-wanna-b
8th Gear

Well, I went to look at the car yesterday, it wasn't completely what I imagined (as usual) but the engine has definitely been rebuilt, it also has the turbo valve covers, the disappointment was that the entire body was not media blasted, only the quarters and passenger door, and the rust areas were not completely cut out, more will have to be cut to make it right, and the drivers door showed a slight bit of sag, it could be due to previous patch panel (the qtr area that meets the door) not correctly done when it was put in (it was placed over top of the old one) because the frame is solid as well as the floor pans, and the front suspension pan had been replaced previously. It also had dealer a/c but he removed it and through it away as he was planning on making a track car. The car still needs the front pedal area, drivers outer rocker replaced and drivers qtr area the meets the door jamb. The driver outer rocker isn't bad, but he has a brand new inner and outer rockers for both sides, so I might just replace them all if I get it. What I did like was that all of the fuel lines were replaced, fuel tank has been lined, seats were original recaro's, rebuilt engine with turbo valve covers and upgraded to "S" engine specs, (but no documentation he didn't get it from previous owner but he did have all of the old cylinders, pistons, heads and valve covers) I made him an offer of 4500.00 he is suppose to let me know this evening. Oh yeah, it also has all new bushings and shocks, original Targa wheels with tires and a set (4) of Fuchs' rims. Targa top was in pretty good shape, the only part I noticed was the headliner had a small place in it, no biggie though. I took my camera but I forgot to get pics, sorry guys. Well, I am now waiting for his reply and waiting, and waiting........

Quick Reply: Special tools for Top end engine rebuild?