911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Steering wheel locked up...HELP!

Old 02-16-2006, 06:02 PM
goldrench
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel locked up...HELP!

My son is in Calif. picking up his 1st 911SC Targa...'78. While blitzing around he stopped on the roadside to take in a veiw from a mountain road, got back in and the steering wheel had locked up. He knew the bushing was loose and is sending the car to me so I can make his as nice as mine.(He thinks).
By the time the tow truck arrived it was free again...what the heck?
(He had it towed anyway 'cause he has my brains instead of his mother's...my ex.
I'd love to know the why and how of this situation.

"Via red-neck mechanic with no Blackberry...excuse typo's."

78 911SC Targa
66 Shelby replica 460
23 t-bucket animal
51 P-51 Mustang..oops! not a car.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If he turned into his parking space and left the wheel cranked to the right or left, and then removed the ignition key (which locks the wheel), the steering wheel would have required some enthusiastic massaging after re-inserting the key. Advise him to try to point the front wheels straight before shutting off the car. I'm not sure what causes this deal but I've heard of it happening on a number of occasions. It's also possible to bend/break off the ignition key when this happens if too much force is used.
Pete
Old 02-16-2006, 07:01 PM
zois
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wiggling the key while turning the steering wheel from left to right will most likely free it up.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:37 PM
g5o
Instructor

I encountered the same problem once. When it locks up I turn both simultaneously to unlock now. Once you know the trick, it isn't much of a problem.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:24 AM
goldrench
Track Day

Thanks to all who replied!
I'm familiar with the "twist to free the lock" method.
This problem occurred while the car was still in motion...kinda hairy!
The upper steering column bearing was GONE! This somehow allowed the lock to engage just enough to lock the wheel.
Fix was to replace the bearing and dremel the lock tab off. I understand lock removal is required on some race tracks...must be a reason...anyway the poor thing is on it's way to daddy for the obligatory make over. He says it has no oil leaks...I'll have to add a couple to maintain authenticity..LMAO!
Thanks!
Old 02-19-2006, 12:42 PM
g5o
Instructor

Does anyone know how to remove the old bearings to replace with a new one? I've inserted the 'quick fix' metal bushing...but am thinking about putting in new bearings. I couldn't figure out how pull the old bearings out...thanks!
Old 02-19-2006, 01:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

If it's not leaking make sure he checked the level .. there's likely none in it.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:10 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only sure method to get the bearing out is to completely remove the steering column and disassemble it. I had a bearing go out on a 69T in 1975. I got several inputs and answers on the subject and finally got a punch and broke the bearing into pieces, letting all the pieces fall into the cavity below it. Then I inserted the new bearing and sleeve. I kept an eye on the unit to ensure it wouldn't bind up. Never had a problem with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel locked up...HELP!