Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Hydraulic Tensioner Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 02:28 PM
RSRee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Hydraulic Tensioner Failure

Well, after courting imminent tensioner failure (right?) while driving a high mileage 76 911S with non-hydraulic tensioners for the past 5 years, I thought I would be able to put those fears to rest after swapping my (almost) daily ride for a pristine 84 Carrera with 130k (mls) earlier this year. But just the other day - and just after a particular hot ride home after work - when restarting the car again I heard the distinct sound of a tensioner failing to initialize, namely the sound of a chain dragging over the edge of a garbage can! Disgusted, I shut it off after a minute or so while not daring to raise the revs. Oil pressure - as always - very good on the gauge.

The next morning I fired it up again (!) ands everything seems OK ... I was brave enough to drive it around the block at moderate speeds. No ugly sounds from the rear.

I'm forced to conclude that at least one of the tensioners cannot be trusted, and that I should probably replace both of them. I guess that, as the mileage goes up, the tensioner seals get weak and when the car is hot, the oil is hot and the tensioner can lose its prime when all the oil drains out.

I'd be interested in hearing from folks who've had similar experiences with hydraulic tensioners and /or any words of wisdom regarding remedying this situation. I'm thinking that, if synthetic not only makes older engine leak - because it is so slippery, it may prevent tensioners from priming when they get old. So, it would be better to stick with good old fashioned pure-base 20W-50 to prevent this from happening ... but I maybe out to lunch on this.

Rob
- 84 Carrera Coupe
Old 09-01-2005, 11:35 PM
red911 Targa
Advanced

Hi Rob,

In 2000 I attended the Bruce Anderson and Jerry Woods engine building school. Jerry recommended that a small piece of conduit be cut off and inserted within the hydraulic lifters to guard against the total failure.

This may be a good barrier against another collapse.

Good luck, Tom
Old 09-02-2005, 05:07 PM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the oil feed type came in for 1984, or is your car just prior to this? Either way I think I would have a good look and if in doubt change them out - even the oil feed type can fail, unusual but they can let go. Too risky to leave.

PJC
Old 09-03-2005, 02:04 AM
RSRee
Advanced

Thanks for your comments Tom and PJC. I'll be taking my baby to the shop next Tuesday to get both tensioners replaced - just to be sure! (... and so I can sleep well once again!). Before installing the new hydraulic units, we'll look at putting in a stop that will prevent them from collapsing completely - just in case. Too much at stake.

Rob

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Tensioner Failure