Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My 911SC will not start

Old 05-06-2005, 02:15 PM
tuck
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 911SC will not start

Hi, I just got a 1979 911SC Targa turbo bodied. The previous owner changed the bumpers to the 964 style and the rims to 17" (i think) RUF rims as well.

Although, the interior needs work and I was told by my mechanic that the engine is in so-so condition, I decided to buy the car because of the looks of it (sucker, i know). Anyway, I wanted to make it my project. Glad to be a member here and will post some pictures soon.

So far, the engine has been running fine until... one day... when I started switching on the hazard lights, the radio and pushed in the cigarette lighter. After I turned off the engine and tried to start it again, it refused. There wasn't even the engine cranking noise. it was absolutely quiet.

I thought it might be the battery and attempted to charge it, but to no avail.

I have a feeling that some wires are shorted since the wires looked like a mess. Pls advise...

Also, I hope that I can find some help in sourcing for parts for my project car. Where I lived, parts are hard to come by.. Either I pay cutthroat prices through the dealership or find the parts myself from the US and UK normally.

If anyone has the following items to spare or knows where I can find them cheap, pls let me know:

1. Half moon reflector / rectangular reflector on either side of the fog lights (front bumper is a 964 turbo styled)

2. 964 rear reflector panel. There were a few on ebay, but they were too expensive (300+). Anyone knows where I can get them cheap?

3. 964 turbo front bumper. The previous owner thrashed it up so bad that no matter how it is repaired, it looks crooked.

4. both door panels

5. rear deck parcel shelf

6. a pair of used/new 964 or later power seats (tan color)

7. 964 spoiler with motor. currently it has an OEM turbo wing installed. I prefer the wingless look.

thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Tuck:

Sorry to hear of your troubles; this seems to be somewhat common on older, customized cars.

The short (and long) answer is that only good old fashioned detective work with the shop manual and DVOM will trace out and resolve the problem. Its virtually impossible to accurately diagnose such things without seeing the wiring.

IMHO, E-bay will be a good resource for the parts you want.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:10 PM
tuck
4th Gear

Steve, thanks for the advice. I am still waiting for my bentley manual to arrive so that I can do some diagnosis. Hopefully, it is comprhensive enough for me to pinpoint the fault. I just thought that someone might have the same problem before. I didn't know this problem is typical in the SC. I just hope it's a simple fix, cos I haven't done anything major like this before (as in working on a car, engines, wiring, etc.)

I know ebay has lots of stuff for sale. But the problem is that the individual shipping of the items is surely gonna kill me. I was hoping that there's a porsche stockist that you guys frequent that is able to provide most of the parts I want at a reasonable price. Combined shipping would be less painful, IMO. I have search the web for parts and have come up with a few, but I'm not sure if their prices are reasonable and their services good.

Any of you guys have dealings with:

http://www.betterbodiesmotorsport.com

http://www.mittelmotor.de (from Germany)

http://planet9eleven.com

http://theracersgroup.com
Old 05-06-2005, 11:43 PM
82Targa
Instructor

DME relay?
Old 05-07-2005, 12:58 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start with a new battery. The battery will go like that. One morning, shortly after I bought my car (78 SC), I started up and drove to the gas station just fine. After gassing up, I went to start up again, and I got nothing. No starter motor running, no clicking from the solenoid either, absolutely dead (except for the front trunk lid light. That still lit up), but the starter did nothing. New battery solved all problems.

Brett
Old 05-07-2005, 06:02 AM
tuck
4th Gear

Tried with a new battery, but didn't work. perhaps a fuse is blown. I just had a chat with my mechanicand he told me that the cigarette lighter could be the cause of it. over time, the parts of the lighter disintegrates and an attempt to work it could short the circuit. He advised me to disconnect the cigarette lighter totally if I don't smoke to preclude something like that from happening again.

What is a DME relay?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 911SC will not start