911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bilsteins on way. Why so expensive?

Old 05-01-2005, 12:18 AM
afinepoint
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilsteins on way. Why so expensive?

Although still functional (per a local shop) I am replacing the shocks on the 84 Targa due to all four leaking. The replacements are Bilsteins. Do these shocks really last the life of the car?

What makes these them so expensive? The salesman was apologetic when he told me the price was per shock. The guys at work were amazed and shocked (no pun intended) that I can replace the shocks on two of the other family cars for the price of one 911 corner.

I can't name the present shocks. They are green with a blue band near the bottom and although I know Bilsteins are green I will have to wait until I pull one out to idenitify them. These look OEM.

Reg
Old 05-01-2005, 02:18 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Reg:

The first thing I'll tell you is your '84 likely has Bilsteins, per your description.

The second thing is that there is no shock that lasts the life of the car. That applies to tires, brake pads, clutch components, and several other similar items,....

Bilsteins are more expensive than other shocks such as Monroe, Gabriel, KYB, Boge, and some others. This is due to being of German manufacture and much higher quality materials and tolerances being used on that process. You get what you pay for,.......

You'll find that Bilsteins typically last 100K before requiring replacement and other American, European, or Japanese shocks are usually gone in 30K miles. There IS a difference.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:22 AM
82Targa
Instructor

Reg, how much did you pay?
Old 05-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default If it is for Porsche

It costs more than in should. Because it is for Porsche! On the other hand Bilstiens and Konis are pricey no matter what installation.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:31 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

I usually pay about $125-$140 each for Koni Sport inserts for the SHOs, about $100-$110 each for the Tokicos.

Visit shox.com for suspension components, let us know how it compares to the prices you paid (if you don't mind). I don't recall off the top of my head how much the porsche-specific houses charge for them, but to replace Bilsteins with Bilstein Sports is $429.

Even the "good" brands (Koni, in this case) will sometimes fail - I had to replace the Konis in my track car after only 1 season, as they'd begun to leak.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:06 PM
afinepoint
Racer

82Targa,

The prices are $170 each for the front and $150 for each rear. I got them from Mid-America because I had a $70 credit there that sooner or later was going to get "lost". I looked on e-bay and could not find anything and Pelican had similar prices. The Koni's cost even more. I know I am paying more than elsewhere. I have found them as low as $115 on line but those are unkown retailers.

I am sure that the shocks are of a higher quality but I also agree that the price is connected with the name Porsche. This same shock for a Ford of Chevolet wouldn't cost as much. That's my $.02 worth.

I am most likely going to return these are re-order from someone else. Although they have good customerservice Mid America price is steep and I know it will bother me in the end.

Reg

Last edited by afinepoint; 05-01-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy from shox.com...as I recall they were about $115 each there for an 86 Carrera
Old 05-01-2005, 05:11 PM
mschafer71
Instructor

great service and prices from shox.com last year.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:22 PM
afinepoint
Racer

Thanks,

I also saw some on eshocks.com for $115. But with two references I'll go with shox.

Hey what are Boge struts? The Mid America notes gives two criteria. Green strut housing and black. The ones I have ordered which were recommended by the salesmen are "for models equipped with Boge Struts (Black Housing)- the only choice for the front. There are two choices for the rear OE Bilstein struts and Boge. Again he recommened the Boge. Have I bought the wrong shocks?

I hope so because in that case they pay for return shipping!

Reg
Old 05-02-2005, 11:38 AM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, go with shox.com. A year ago I got all 4, Heavy duty Fronts and Sports rear including shipping for $440.00.

If you are unsure what you have on your car currently and unsure what to order, call the guys at shox.com. They are very knowledgeble and will help you out to ensure you get the right shocks for your car.

You'll be amazed at the difference :-)

Good Luck!

Regards,
Jim
'86 Coupe
Old 05-02-2005, 11:46 AM
gregg911
Instructor

I know that I am being repetetive but, I bought from Shox.com and received product quickly at a great price.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:55 AM
afinepoint
Racer

The Mid America shocks arrived yesterday. I looked at them for a minute or two and repacked the lot for the return. I'll contact the shox site later this week. Again thanks.

The boxes stated 930 on them. That combined with the Boge mount makes me wonder if they would have fit the 911 anyway.

Reg
Old 05-05-2005, 12:10 PM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by afinepoint
The Mid America notes gives two criteria. Green strut housing and black. The ones I have ordered which were recommended by the salesmen are "for models equipped with Boge Struts (Black Housing)- the only choice for the front. There are two choices for the rear OE Bilstein struts and Boge. Again he recommened the Boge. Have I bought the wrong shocks?
Sounds like Mid America can't find their *** with both hands. There are no struts in the back, Struts are in the front. Rear shocks are just that, a shock absorber that bolts to the trailing arm at the bottom and inside a shock tower at the top. The front has struts, and 911 series cars came with two main types, Bilstein (painted green) and Boge (black). Both types of struts have a replaceable insert, that are not interchangable. You need to know what type of strut you have on your car so you get the correct insert..

Originally Posted by Alan Goettel
It costs more than in should. Because it is for Porsche! On the other hand Bilstiens and Konis are pricey no matter what installation.
Part of it is you-get-what-you-pay-for, part of it is probably the exchange rate. A lot of things coming from europe have gone up in price since the Euro got in the $1.25 range.

I got my shocks from Elephant Racing, $128 (F) and $115 (R). Chuck at Elephant does 911 suspensions, so there shouldn't be any problem getting the wrong parts.

BTW, Bilstein sport shocks cost the same for my VW Rabbit as my 911.

Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bilsteins on way. Why so expensive?