Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How can I tell if a 911SC is a Euro Model?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 09:54 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Post How can I tell if a 911SC is a Euro Model?

I am planning to look at a car this weekend that is represented by the owener to be a Euro model that was brought to the states in 1985. However, the strange part is that when I looked up the VIN in the 911 Red Book it is listed as a US model. Unfortunatly the cars records only go back to 1985. Any advice?
Old 01-18-2002, 10:18 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It would help if you gave us the model and the year, along with and chassis (VIN) and engine serial numbers.

Get the chassis serial number off the driver's side windshield post, not the numbered stamped into the floor of the front trunk.

Bruce
Old 01-18-2002, 10:57 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

1980 SC Chasis # 91A0143468 Unfortunatly that is all I have until I look at the car.

Many thanks.
Old 01-18-2002, 11:34 AM
BER
Pro

That serial number is for a US model 911 SC.

When you get the serial number for the engine, we can check that also. The car may be a US model with a Euro engine.

Bruce
Old 01-18-2002, 11:45 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Here is my latest theory. The car has a metric speedometer. If the car was originally sold in the US, what sort of modifications would have to be done if it was then brought to Europe? It then would have come back to the states. I hope I can see something with the EPA work receipts for work done in 1985.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:52 PM
BER
Pro

Noel,

Metric speedos are fairly common here in the US. I see them all the time at swap meets, so it is pretty easy to get one and install it in a car.

Even though your theory is plausable, I would find it unlikely the car was originally sold in the US and then went to Europe and then back again. One possible scenario is it could have been owned by a US military person that was transferred to Europe and then transfered back, but that does not make it a "Euro" model car.

One of my 911's is a "Euro" model that I purchased in Germany in 1986. It has a ROW chassis number and the matching ROW engine/gearbox number. It also has a "Euro" Owners Manual (in German) and the US EPA and DOT Release Papers I received after I imported the car. You should have similiar EPA and DOT papers for any Euro car you are looking at.

If you are specificaly looking for a "Euro" model SC, there are many out their for sale. There are some risks and pitfalls of buying a "Euro" spec car, but if you get one that has all the proper paperwork and was properly "federalized", they are great cars.

Bruce
Old 01-18-2002, 01:20 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

I really appreciate you sharing your wisdom on this issus. I do I one more question, hoever. If the car has a ROW engine (Proved by the serial numbers) did Porsche assemble cars with mixed bodies and engines or is this just a car that someone dropped a Euro engine in?

Thanks again. I'll let you know what I find out this weekend when I get the engine #s.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:23 PM
BER
Pro

Noel,

To my knowledge, Porsche would not assemble a US model Porsche with a ROW engine.

I have seen cars with US chassis numbers and ROW engines, but these were aftermarket engine swaps done by the owner.

Bruce
Old 01-21-2002, 07:51 PM
speedster 94
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hallo
On a euro car the Temperature is in Celsius
and the oilpressure in BAR .On the tacho it will say : u/min ,not RPM .
harald

Quick Reply: How can I tell if a 911SC is a Euro Model?