Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ignition key "binding" - common?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 09:54 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition key "binding" - common?

I've been noticing a "worsening" of the ability of the ignition key to turn freely. It binds up, not turning at all. Wiggling back & forth, coupled with pushing in a bit more seems to free it. When I pull the key out, there's an audible click as well now.

I may have asked this before, but is this just a bad ignition cylinder, and if so, how bad's this going to be? I assume a new cylinder / lock can be purchased & keyed to the existing doorlocks, etc., but how bad of a job is it to change, if that's the issue?

Seems to happen with all the keys given to me, so I think that rules a bad key copy out.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Fred: Your ignition switch was installed using "break-off" bolts. That means the hex head snaps at a given torque spec, leaving behind a smooth, "tamper-proof" surface. Those bolts must removed with careful application of hammer & chisel and vise grips. Because the switch also locks the steering it has an arm that extends to the steering column, which increases the removal difficulty factor. If you unscrew the switch bezel you will find the two easy bolts to remove. If you have trouble with those I strongly suggest that you have your favorite Porsche tech take care of replacement, it's a bit tricky. Also, if you want a single key to operate the car plan on removing both door handles and have their cylinders keyed to the new switch. Although I never had a customer request a complete set of locks I believe that Porsche can supply them, but I think it's a very expensive proposition. Most of the switch replacements I know of ended up with a second key on the key ring. Sorry...
Pete
Old 01-13-2005, 11:17 PM
red911 Targa
Advanced

Hi Fred, you might try Tony Euganeo, at 610-461-0519 to rekey the new ignition switch to your door keys!! He made a set of keys "blind" for my 1966 from the door handle at Hershey a few years ago.

Good luck, Tom
Old 01-14-2005, 06:32 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fred,

Don't give up before at least trying to get the same lock. First of all Porsche will make you a replacement ignition switch based on the chassis number but you need to determine if your car has the original switch - easy - get a new key cut by Porsche based on the chassis number - if it works that's great you can go ahead and purchase the new ignition switch and you will already have a new key (beneficial with a new lock in my view).

Removal of the old lock is not that difficult; unplug the electrics and using a file, file two flats on the 'break-off' stubs and carefully use an adjustable spanner to remove the bolts (the material is actually quite soft) - the trick is careful preparation, don't rush machining the flats and attempting turning out the bolts too soon.

How do I know? Done it myself.

Good luck

PJC
Old 01-14-2005, 09:09 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, much appreciated on the advice. Glad to know I'm not the only guy who "can't turn a key".
Old 01-15-2005, 01:02 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

FWIW Fred, I too have begun noticing difficulty with the switch in my 84. I was reluctant to fool with it for the exact same reasons you stated.
Now that I know the dealer can cut a new key based upon the chassis number, i will be proceeding with that as step #1. A new lock as #2, and of course a new set as "my final answer".
+++
Old 01-15-2005, 01:23 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a"temporary" fix, spray some Triflow Lube (I have been warned away from WD-40 and other lubricants by my locksmith who rekeyed my other locks to match my inginition key) into the lock. My ignition was stiff and after I lubed it, it works much more easily. I now put a shot in there about 2x year.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:49 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by HarryD
...I have been warned away from WD-40 ...
That's a VERY WISE MOVE, as once the solvent evaporates, WD leaves a terribly gooey build-up on whatever it touches. This would make the inside of the lock all gummy, requiring additional shots of WD to "re-lubricate" it.
+++

Quick Reply: Ignition key "binding" - common?