rear three point belts on a '88 Carrera Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 03:12 PM
my911.net
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post rear three point belts on a '88 Carrera Coupe

hi guys

last month's 911&Porsche World magazine had a little item on replacing the lap belts for inertia three points on a 964.

I would like to do the same (I have two 6 year olds who love their w/e blast!)

My question is whether anyone knows whether this "project" will be a simple on my '88 coupe as it was for the 964 - more specifically, he seemed to have found some sort of anchor points beneath the sound insulation and just bolted onto them. This seemed pretty neat, although it also raises the question - if the anchor points for the third "point" are already there, why didnt porsche fit the three point belts in the first place?.

anyhow, I would love anyone to confirm this for me if they know so I can go ahead and buy the kit.

cheers
Old 09-10-2002, 04:47 PM
Rick C
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have three small children who've had a great time in the rear seats since they were big enough for booster seats. The tallest is now appox. 5 feet tall and still enjoys the ride.

I installed 3-point seatbelts in a 1987 911 Targa. Under the rear parcel shelf there were rectangular pre-cuts in the sound padding. After pulling those up, there were standard threaded holes for the seatbelts.

In the US, 3 point seat belts were standard in the rear seats beginning in 1988. I heard from many sources that at some point before that threaded holes were made standard on 911's (I heard for Swiss regulations in 1984, but cannot confirm this date.)

In anycase, I was promised by a supplier that 1987's had these holes - and sure enough they were there when I looked.

Installing the new seatbelts was very simple. The rear parcel shelf is held on by a few screws in the rear wall. It slides out and allows access to the wires for the rear speakers which are then disconnected. Remove the entire shelf and there should be some sound padding - a rubber/neoprene layer attached to a fiber mat. My car had square cut lines with a small rounded finger cut out on the forward side. I simply pulled these cut outs up and there were the holes.

The holes are located on the top of the parcel shelf toward the outsides of the car. The belts simply bolt into these and the other two holes which hold the old belt.

It is a much better feeling to have the kids with shoulder belts when heading out on a sunny day!!!

Good luck.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:53 PM
Rick C
Intermediate

BTW - forgot to mention that you may need to cut away a little of the parcel shelf cardboard to make certain the inertial reels move freely. The kit I got had plastic grommets to allow the belts to exit the holes, but they kept slipping out, so I cut the cardboard away but left the vinyl, and then bolted on a nice looking plastic housing to the area to make it look like a factory job.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:17 AM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick C--
could you post details and/or pics of your installation. I've contemplated this for a while and can't seem to get a straight answer on the mounting point question (I have an '85 Targa).

also, where did you get the new belts?
thanks
Old 09-11-2002, 11:25 AM
Rick C
Intermediate

Steve:

I actually saw a bit about the belts in 911 & Porsche World about 2 years ago, and called to the UK to order them as I thought US litigation worries would make buying belts here impossible. I then discovered some ads in Panorama from some Calif. companies that sold belts, so you can probably get them here. I'll look up the company tonight and post ASAP.

I don't have a digital camera, but I'll see if I can borrow one and get some pics up.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:12 PM
Steve Wilwerding
Instructor

Would you (or anyone else for that matter) want to sell you old rear selt belts? The rear belts in my SC are pretty worn.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:47 PM
Dan
Instructor

I recently put 3pts in the back of my 71 targa. Much different than the later cars do to the fact that there is no mounting area, had to drill through the rear deck. Any how the place that I ended up getting the belts from is here
<a href="http://www.peparts.com/" target="_blank">PE Parts</a>
Great group of guys and the belts were the highest quality. They seem to be the place to get belts.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:49 PM
Dan
Instructor

I recently put 3pts in the back of my 71 targa. Much different than the later cars do to the fact that there is no mounting area, had to drill through the rear deck. Any how the place that I ended up getting the belts from is here
<a href="http://www.peparts.com/" target="_blank">PE Parts</a>
Great group of guys and the belts were the highest quality. They seem to be the place to get belts.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:16 PM
my911.net
Intermediate

Hi guys

thanks for all the input.

I saw the project in a recent 911&Porsche World so if you want I can scan/fax/snail the article to anyone interested - pls email me elias@my911.net

In the same article a number in the UK is given for the kit which includes the a new parcel shelf with the holes for the upper seat belt to go through.

Once done, if succesful, I dont mind passing on my old belts for a nominal fee.

thanks and all the best

Quick Reply: rear three point belts on a '88 Carrera Coupe