Notices
911 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need New Tires (‘84 Carrera 3.2)

 
Old 07-10-2019, 06:59 PM
  #1  
84Carrera
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need New Tires (‘84 Carrera 3.2)

Hi.....I have a 1984 911 3.2 Carrera Coupe that needs new tires. 15” performance tires are becoming more rare these days. The front are 205/50R15 on 7x15 Fuchs. The rear are 225/50R15 on 8x15 Fuchs. I can’t find performance tires for the rear to match 225/50R15 so my question is......can I put 205/50R15 on my rear 8x15 Fuchs?

Thanks,
84Carrera
84Carrera is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 02:04 AM
  #2  
uber930
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

of course you can.
Hankook RS4 has 195/50R15 and 225/45R15 sizes.
uber930 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 08:26 AM
  #3  
84Carrera
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by uber930 View Post
of course you can.
Hankook RS4 has 195/50R15 and 225/45R15 sizes.
Thank you! Any other tire suggestions.....I also drive it during winter months (dry days only) with temps around 40F.
84Carrera is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:19 PM
  #4  
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,966
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 84Carrera View Post
Hi.....I have a 1984 911 3.2 Carrera Coupe that needs new tires. 15” performance tires are becoming more rare these days. The front are 205/50R15 on 7x15 Fuchs. The rear are 225/50R15 on 8x15 Fuchs. I can’t find performance tires for the rear to match 225/50R15 so my question is......can I put 205/50R15 on my rear 8x15 Fuchs?

Thanks,
84Carrera
There are plenty of hi perf tires in the sizes you want

Here's a few
BFG R1
Pirelli Trofeo
Pirelli P7 classic
Yokohama A052

and no a 205/50 shouldn't be stretched on to an 8
Bill Verburg is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:30 PM
  #5  
84Carrera
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
There are plenty of hi perf tires in the sizes you want

Here's a few
BFG R1
Pirelli Trofeo
Pirelli P7 classic
Yokohama A052

and no a 205/50 shouldn't be stretched on to an 8

Thank you Bill!

Also, if you have any tire suggestions that fall under high performance/all season, it would be greatly appreciated!!
84Carrera is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 02:39 AM
  #6  
uber930
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I have 200-240 wear tires on my 911, BMWs, and live in pacific NW. These tires are just fine in winter climate legal street driving except snow/ ice.
uber930 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:52 AM
  #7  
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,966
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 84Carrera View Post
Thank you Bill!

Also, if you have any tire suggestions that fall under high performance/all season, it would be greatly appreciated!!
I see your issue, A/S tires in the right sizes seem to be unobtainable.

reg hi perf tires are driveable in lower temps just not the best to have, I'd want to avoid snow at all costs on them though I was forced into a snowy drive on my shaved RE71s way back in the day, never again.
Bill Verburg is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 03:47 PM
  #8  
uber930
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
I see your issue, A/S tires in the right sizes seem to be unobtainable.

reg hi perf tires are driveable in lower temps just not the best to have, I'd want to avoid snow at all costs on them though I was forced into a snowy drive on my shaved RE71s way back in the day, never again.
I agree and I'd avoid snow/ ice driving on non-snow tires at all, but one time it suddenly started snowing and had no choice but drive my 84 up a slight incline to my house with 200 tread wear tires in about an inch of snow. the traction you get off a 911 is just surreal, it just climbed the slope no problem whatsoever while my BMW would have struggled. A ha moment for me what it meant by 911 traction and how i was not using it at the track...
uber930 is offline  
Old 07-16-2019, 09:43 AM
  #9  
sithot
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sithot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 656
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Yokohama A052's are gaining attention amongst auto-x'rs as well as the Goodrich G-Force RIVAL S 1.5.

I have a vehicle better suited for cold weather so I'm not too concerned about year-round tires.
sithot is offline  
Old 07-16-2019, 01:29 PM
  #10  
dr914
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 647
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

call Denny at the tire rack, he is always right on with the latest and greatest tires He is extension 321
dr914 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: