Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Thoughts on this 87 Targa on BAT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 11:45 AM
jfig
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on this 87 Targa on BAT?

I'm interested in this car. What do you guys think? Besides what's disclosed what would you watch out for. Obviously need to see the underside. I'm local so will be able to check it out but no expert on these cars so any help would be appreciated!
Old 05-10-2019, 11:45 AM
jfig
AutoX

Default Here's the car

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ra-targa-11-2/
Old 05-10-2019, 12:17 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 2,700 Posts

The bubbling repaint looks nasty on that fender in Photo----> I would seriously check all painted surfaces because if that weak prep job on that fender is any indication of how other areas of car were painted, the bubbling could start showing up in many other spots.
For some reason I've always thought the G-50 Targa's look good - The interior in that car is very nice and drivers seat bolster looks almost perfect so A. the seats were redone at some point or B. it is an interior from another car or C. just really well kept.
I believe the 87 model suffered from valve guide wear which led to high oil consumption but not 100% - I'd get leakdown/compression check for sure
**Try and have PPI done with expert if possible prior to auction ends and get leakdown/comp check - Got to be quick
Good luck if u go forward.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:14 PM
Rleog
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

These 3.2 Carrera motors did suffer from premature valve guide wear, as mentioned above. At 126,000 miles, you’d likely be facing a valve job soon.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:56 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 2,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Rleog
These 3.2 Carrera motors did suffer from premature valve guide wear, as mentioned above. At 126,000 miles, you’d likely be facing a valve job soon.
I think the valve job should of/would of been done early on but the leakdown will help solve the puzzle IF car has no past service records
Old 05-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Can a leakdown really identify bad valve guides? For the cylinder to hold air pressure, both valves have to be closed, so as long as the seats are OK, you wouldn't even need valve guides to get a good leakdown number.

High oil consumption would be a symptom of bad guides, and crusty plugs. It the car doesn't have a cat, you want to get the car up to about 5,000 rpm and then lift. Bad guides = oil smoke out the tailpipe. But I think a functioning catalytic converter would burn off the smoke.

Mark
Old 05-10-2019, 05:27 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

well the year motor is the one, but with the miles, for sure a valve guide job as someone previously stated, the color is a very bad one, the car has been "hot rodded" in the past, and the polished wheels give it a non stock "down town " look. The targa top leak is going to take a lot more than you think to solve, and surly has bad wind noise. I like the look better without the spoiler, but the fact that they still have it with the car is good. Make sure that the air works, as it can get very expensive to repair The paint bubbling looks to me like a resin problem, not a rust problem. BUT everything depends on the final BAT price, I would say that in today's market if you can buy it for around 30 you would be all set
Old 05-10-2019, 07:16 PM
jfig
AutoX

Thank you everyone!

dr914, what is telling you it’s been hot roses in the past? Also, when you say it’s a very bad color, you are talking personal preference or something wrong with the paint job?

thanks again,
jonas
Old 05-15-2019, 09:06 PM
jfig
AutoX

Someone else bought for $49,350 with buyer premium...
Old 05-16-2019, 10:14 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
Can a leakdown really identify bad valve guides? For the cylinder to hold air pressure, both valves have to be closed, so as long as the seats are OK, you wouldn't even need valve guides to get a good leakdown number.

High oil consumption would be a symptom of bad guides, and crusty plugs. It the car doesn't have a cat, you want to get the car up to about 5,000 rpm and then lift. Bad guides = oil smoke out the tailpipe. But I think a functioning catalytic converter would burn off the smoke.

Mark
I think you are correct Mark. The only way i know of checking valve guide wear is to check play in the stem of the valve vs spec ( see how mush side to side play there is ) .
Old 05-20-2019, 05:32 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Sorry I missed this thread, this car was one of my old cars. The top end valve guides had already been done. I happened to have loved the color. The car was nice when I bought it, it was really nice when I sold it, but that was back in 2005. I paid $16,500 for it with 85k miles in 2002. Markets moved a little bit huh?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 87 Targa on BAT?