Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   "just because you drive a porsche...' (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/1138309-just-because-you-drive-a-porsche.html)

minthral 04-13-2019 11:32 AM

"just because you drive a porsche...'

I'm sure it happens plenty enough, however here is my short story.

The other day I had a haircut scheduled and during the same trip I planned to first stop at Lowes to pick up a few things. Normally I'd take the truck, but it was a nice day and I needed to get my 911 gas.

I pull into Lowes parking lot and make a decision where to park. Normally I park away from everyone else, but heck I was in a good mood and wasn't planning to spend more than 15 min in the store, so I park near the lumber loading area where I often park my truck. This is just normal parking and not a loading zone and the spot was not marked for 'pro services.'

I do my shopping and walk out to the store to find that my car is completely covered with grass clippings. As I was in the store, lawn service did trim work less than a foot from my bumper! I kneel down and inspect for damage...couldn't tell aside from being covered with grass and dirt. The guy on the lawn mower notices me and stops, "Whats the problem?" I yell back at him, "Why are you mowing right next to cars?!" He responds back, "Are you a contractor? Why are you parked so close?" There was a little more bickering back and forth... the point I was trying to get across is that it is very inconsiderate and not nice to throw grass into people cars.

I get into my car and get ready to leave, but notice the guy gets off his mower and walks towards me. I get out with pleasure to confront him. He starts cursing and yelling at me that, "Just because you drive a porch doesn't mean you can park where contractors do. You aren't special." The spots aren't marked for 'contractor only' and even if they were I'd technically qualify, but I don't even mention this. I explain to him it doesn't matter what car I drive - he was throwing grass on everyone's car and it was wrong. He is convinced that its all about my car and kept going back to the fact I shouldn't be parked so close since I'm not a contractor...I assume he thinks contractors don't drive cars like this. I tell him, "You wouldn't want your car covered with grass clippings after shopping at a store' and leave as he starts to pick up trash on the grass and throwing it on the parking lot. Reminded me of a toddler on a tantrum honestly.

As I was getting my haircut, the the whole situation bugged. Why is a lawn service dumping grass on people's cars? This just seems wrong. I call the store manager who sounds surprised and informs me that there isn't supposed to be anyone mowing at this time. The law services is scheduled to come on evening near dawn. He apologies and says he will go out to talk to the guy.

On my way to get gas, I must to drive by the Lowes again. I see the same guy in the parking lot sitting in his truck. I pull up to him and walk up to him. "I just spoke to the store manager and he says you aren't supposed to mowing at this time." He get furious and starts cursing "I have a contract with Lowes corporation. You or anyone in that store can't tell me what to do." I don't mention it, but think about how I spend a lot of money at Lowes and indirectly pay him...in theory he is supposed to be treating me as a customer. I ask him to go inside so we can have a chat with the manager, but he refuses as he gets out of his truck, violently slamming the door, and yells in my face, "I don't even know you. The best thing you can do is leave. I have my own business and can do whatever I want" I calmly respond with "Okay."

I pull around back of the store (AKA contractor parking) with intent to hide my car away from the guy and walk into the store asking for the store manager. The manager is nowhere to be found, so the assistant manager is sent. As I'm standing there waiting for him to walk up, Mr Lawn Mower Man enter the store door looking for someone to sign his invoice. He sees me and glances away and walks around asking for manager. I tell him I already called for him and that he should be here shortly. The guy sees the assistant manager walking toward me, so he walks up to him explaining about the way he was just doing his job and I cursed him out. Makes a real scene and we let him vent. I calmly tell the assistant manager that he was "exaggerating" and if the store manager is around. The mower man got his signature and started to walk away.

Turns out the store manager was out in the parking lot looking for the lawn service. On the way out, mower man ran into him. I was next to the assistant manager and watched from a distance as the mower man did all sorts of hand gestures and yelling at the store manager. No idea what they talked about, but then the mower man got on his lawn mower and rode away looking straight a smiling as I waved at him. He looked and acted autistic IMO.

The store manager apologized to me saying he was never going to mow when he isn't supposed to again.

Catorce 04-13-2019 01:08 PM

Meh, he's just mad because he has to mow lawns for a living, and you're driving a Porsche :-)

MexicoBlueTurboS 04-13-2019 02:33 PM

"Just because you drive a porch doesn't mean you can park where contractors do"

The one time I saw someone driving a porch was on Arrested Development.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cc14974140.jpg

r911 04-13-2019 04:42 PM

you should have told the guy it wasn't a Porsche but Corvette with Porsche markings on it

Big Swole 04-13-2019 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Catorce (Post 15771161)
Meh, he's just mad because he has to mow lawns for a living, and you're driving a Porsche :-)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with "mowing lawns for a living". What is wrong is someone judging a person for driving a Porsche. OR for someone judging a guy for mowing lawns.

It's about being a decent human being no matter what you do for a living or how much money you make.

Money and Job status does not "Make" a person. Having respect for others and their things does.

theiceman 04-13-2019 10:27 PM

It was over and you went back and antagonized him intentionally. You both need to grow up imo.

MexicoBlueTurboS 04-14-2019 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Big Swole (Post 15771619)
There's absolutely nothing wrong with "mowing lawns for a living". What is wrong is someone judging a person for driving a Porsche. OR for someone judging a guy for mowing lawns. It's about being a decent human being no matter what you do for a living or how much money you make. Money and Job status does not "Make" a person. Having respect for others and their things does.

+ 1000

If every person held this in their hearts the world would be a much better place.

HEY! who's cutting onions in here?

81911 04-14-2019 01:28 PM

I can’t believe you took the time to write this giant wall of text to strangers on the internet.

wareaglescott 04-14-2019 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by 81911 (Post 15772952)
I can’t believe you took the time to write this giant wall of text to strangers on the internet.

I cant believe he took the time too get into a pi$$ing contest with the guy cutting the grass before he took the time to write about it. I mean really, who has time to be so aggravated to go back at it a second time and seek out the manager and such. Life is too short.

MexicoBlueTurboS 04-14-2019 02:31 PM

Let's not gang up on the OP. Certainly there was an amount of respect missing from the lawn guy in just taking care not to harm other people's property. Mowers, string trimmers and leaf blowers can damage cars. The lawn guy definitely has some issues. Personally, I would have called the store manager as I drove home (or to the car wash to double check there was no damage) and left it at that.

When I had my 928 (aluminum doors and front end I took the care to park way off on my own in the corner of a lot and in one space. Someone in a 66 Falcon decided they should park so close to me (with hundreds of open spots) that I had to climb through the passenger side to drive out.

I had to live with that guy for 30 seconds, he has to live with himself the rest of his life.

That's sweet revenge in my book

iammacey 04-14-2019 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by minthral (Post 15770984)
I don't mention it, but think about how I spend a lot of money at Lowes and indirectly pay him...in theory he is supposed to be treating me as a customer.

No idea what they talked about, but then the mower man got on his lawn mower and rode away looking straight a smiling as I waved at him. He looked and acted autistic IMO.

It is unfortunate when anything like this happens. I know it can be infuriating and frustrating. I work to treat people as complex and individual, not as jobs or the objects they own. I tend to formulate my opinions of them based on their actions and thoughts.

And while I don't know you OP, these two sections of your post do more to highlight your actual thoughts than anything else.

AG81 04-14-2019 06:43 PM

My opinion of the situation is........folks who cut grass are generally hard working and just trying to get from lawn to lawn. It a never ending vicious cycle. I pick my battles carefully. I am not going to war over grass clippings.

kreeshp 04-14-2019 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS (Post 15773053)
I had to live with that guy for 30 seconds, he has to live with himself the rest of his life.

That's sweet revenge in my book

The main problem with this kind of thinking, as satisfying as it might be to fantasize that this is how the universe makes things right, is that 'that guy' has no idea what an idiot he really is and has zero issues living with himself the rest of his life.

MexicoBlueTurboS 04-15-2019 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by kreeshp (Post 15773785)
The main problem with this kind of thinking, as satisfying as it might be to fantasize that this is how the universe makes things right, is that 'that guy' has no idea what an idiot he really is and has zero issues living with himself the rest of his life.

That kind of guy comes up against other forces and realities on a daily basis that probably try to clue him in or nudge him of slap him into societies norms. Whether it's the police, a judge, a tough guy, a psycho with Clint Eastwood fantasy, etc. It doesn't have to be me. I have a nice life - no need to waste any more than 30 seconds with that guy.

cobalt 04-15-2019 09:36 AM

Some people are just inconsiderate and cranky. Most people don't consider these actions as issues and could care less if their car is covered with grass or whatever. I had a guy with his brand new 599GTB open his door into my car and when I bitched he said it is just a car and I was welcome to open mine into his. :confused:

I have a good friend that has a landscaping business. He works hard with his hands and is very considerate. He also owns about $4MM in vintage Porsche race and street cars. So you can't judge a book by its cover.