Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

"just because you drive a porsche...'

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 09:59 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I just realized that I posted this in wrong section....since I own 991.2, it was supposed to be in 991 forum not 911. If a mod move it would be great.

I disagree that me NOT perusing this further was the right thing to do. What bugged me was a lawn service is dumping grass on people's cars as they're shopping. This is simply a bad policy and wrong. My main concern to the guy was 'you wouldn't do this to your car right,' but he was all caught up in the fact that 'just because you drive a Porsche you get special treatment.'

It makes a lot of sense for me to voice my opinion and putting pressure for change. Not doing so is equivalent of watching a bank robbery and not calling the police. Maybe my action has prevented damage to many cars... for all I know this guy was doing it for years.

I agree that many people have the 'its just a car' or passive personality, however I'd guess that people who are well off aren't like this.

Last edited by minthral; 04-15-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-15-2019, 10:12 AM
minthral
Pro

Originally Posted by iammacey
It is unfortunate when anything like this happens. I know it can be infuriating and frustrating. I work to treat people as complex and individual, not as jobs or the objects they own. I tend to formulate my opinions of them based on their actions and thoughts.

And while I don't know you OP, these two sections of your post do more to highlight your actual thoughts than anything else.
Well you're judgement for someone who doesn't know me. How can you judge people based on their 'thoughts.' This is something you don't know...you can see their actions though. Did I yell at the guy saying 'I'm paying you' or anything else? Nope... I could have said all sorts of things.

Look at the lawn mower man's actions. Surely you don't know his thoughts, but his actions say a lot.

Regarding him being autistic. This is again me observing his actions... he literally had a huge fake 'clown' smile and stared straight ahead as I waved at him. This behavior isn't very normal. Slamming doors, throwing objects, making a scene, cursing etc is not professional or something a grown man should do in public.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:26 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Well you're judgement for someone who doesn't know me. How can you judge people based on their 'thoughts.' This is something you don't know...you can see their actions though. Did I yell at the guy saying 'I'm paying you' or anything else? Nope... I could have said all sorts of things.

Look at the lawn mower man's actions. Surely you don't know his thoughts, but his actions say a lot.

Regarding him being autistic. This is again me observing his actions... he literally had a huge fake 'clown' smile and stared straight ahead as I waved at him. This behavior isn't very normal. Slamming doors, throwing objects, making a scene, cursing etc is not professional or something a grown man should do in public.
I revisited what I said and definitely used an incorrect choice of words. I don't judge people on their thoughts. I should have used beliefs. Or communicated beliefs. And to be clear, judge isn't the right word either. You're entitled to act, do, and say whatever you want unless you endanger me. Otherwise, I'm not passing judgement on what someone does.

What I do, is determine whether I want to spend my time connected to someone else. Is this person worth spending my energy?

I should have done what I do with all the other threads where people say ridiculous things - ignored it and moved on. People that lack self awareness and aren't learning agile are easy enough to spot. And I should have known better.

Consider me moving along.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
I just realized that I posted this in wrong section....since I own 991.2, it was supposed to be in 991 forum not 911. If a mod move it would be great.

I disagree that me NOT perusing this further was the right thing to do. What bugged me was a lawn service is dumping grass on people's cars as they're shopping. This is simply a bad policy and wrong. My main concern to the guy was 'you wouldn't do this to your car right,' but he was all caught up in the fact that 'just because you drive a Porsche you get special treatment.'

It makes a lot of sense for me to voice my opinion and putting pressure for change. Not doing so is equivalent of watching a bank robbery and not calling the police. Maybe my action has prevented damage to many cars... for all I know this guy was doing it for years.

I agree that many people have the 'its just a car' or passive personality, however I'd guess that people who are well off aren't like this.
there is something to be said for not escalating a situation over " stuff' , i believe you actually accomplished nothing other than risk more damage to your car in a future parking lot when he sees it ... He has nothing to lose but you are going to leave that car alone from time to time and you antagonized him ....

still think it was a smart move ?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:50 AM
minthral
Pro

Originally Posted by theiceman
there is something to be said for not escalating a situation over " stuff' , i believe you actually accomplished nothing other than risk more damage to your car in a future parking lot when he sees it ... He has nothing to lose but you are going to leave that car alone from time to time and you antagonized him ....

still think it was a smart move ?
Yep totally agree with this statement. Its what my wife told me.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:55 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
There's absolutely nothing wrong with "mowing lawns for a living". What is wrong is someone judging a person for driving a Porsche. OR for someone judging a guy for mowing lawns.

It's about being a decent human being no matter what you do for a living or how much money you make.

Money and Job status does not "Make" a person. Having respect for others and their things does.
Agreed. Good post.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:41 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I hope the lawn mower man owns a 911 and posts his version here.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:07 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

"Then Lawnmower Man"

Wasn't that a movie title???
Old 04-16-2019, 06:47 PM
TravisRT1985
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OP and Catorce are reasons why I myself stereotype porsche owners, and I drive one.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:58 PM
luke-44
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

The longer you've owned a nice car the longer you realize the real lesson here is park your baby away from the close spot and walk a bit further. If not a car show or Porsche meeting and you can’t keep an eye on your car you are otherwise asking for it. Be thankful your car wasn’t keyed. Only takes one idiot, on that day you found him. Lesson learned, thankfully minimal damage, move on, remember for next time. Just part of the downside of owning a nice car.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Glenn R
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Normally, I would just grab a bowl of popcorn and quietly watch the thread. But I've got to say, the "autistic" comment made me wince.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:29 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

^^^^ I always park the far side of the empty parking lot. When I come out there are a few others parked next to me way too close with a ton of spaces open between the guy next to me and the next nearest car.

My wife calls it Porsche paranoia or man in a parking lot LOL
Old 04-17-2019, 07:41 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Can't believe OP posted this in a technical forum, a forum about Porsche history, mechanicals, driving, caring for... Not about some pissant encounter with lawn care company behavior, go take it up with Lowes or the Better Business Bureau, not rennlist. And most concerning is OP statement "He looked and acted like somebody autistic" Really?
Old 04-17-2019, 07:51 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I bet the author of the OP is actually the Lawnmower Man... getting more revenge.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:38 PM
minthral
Pro

No kidding...tough crowd here!

Yep its posted in wrong section if a mod can move it to appropriate forum that would be great.

Quick Reply: "just because you drive a porsche...'