Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   Caliper rebuild: stuck piston (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/1138023-caliper-rebuild-stuck-piston.html)

Edward 04-11-2019 12:11 AM

Caliper rebuild: stuck piston --UPDATE Question!

Hey all,

Normal brake pad replacement on my SC. The left front side went in fine, but on the right front's inner piston absolutely refuses to retract! I mean that sucker will not budge with stiff prying/pushing, yikes!! So does this mean caliper rebuild? And if it doesn't want to budge now will I be able to get that piston out to replace the seals? Advice please! TIA, gents!

Edward

Vane 04-11-2019 06:52 AM

Yep, you have to rebuild the calipers. Do NOT split them, it’s not recommended or necessary.
I have managed to remove pistons with compressed air but there is a great risk that the piston fly somewhere doing damage. Also brake fluid can splatter everywhere.
Some have removed the pistons with grease gun, lot’s of pressure but more controlled. Not completely as air in caliper compress and can send the piston flying.
If the piston is really stuck you probably end up replacing all pistons. Check if rebuilt calipers are available.
I’m sure you find a lot of advice how to rebuild calipers with Google.

wareaglescott 04-11-2019 07:31 AM

I had good luck removing stuck pistons with compressed air being directed in the hole the fluid normally goes into.
As Vane mentioned watch out for the fluid splatter. Recommend covering with some thick shop towels. Also put a thin piece of wood between the two pistons and dont have your fingers in there. When it does pop out it comes out hard and you dont want it slamming into the opposite side piston. The tricky part is you must have the other piston in there to escape all the air from just venting out the opposite side so the pressure can build up.
Order a rebuild kit from pelican or someplace. Very doable job. IF you are not into doing it yourself you can find rebuild calipers pretty easily.

Mark Salvetti 04-11-2019 07:57 AM

When I had a rear seize up I was able to finally wiggle it free using pliers with a sheet of rubber cushioning the jaws. Not usually recommended, but the piston wasn’t damaged and I was able to rebuild it with the standard kit.

Mark

theiceman 04-11-2019 10:05 AM

Good advice here. I did it with compressed air and the wood in between. You want it thick enough that the opposite side does not pop out
After mine came out i was able to clean up and reuse no problem
Pay attention to the fingers comment. It comes out wth enough force to stop a car

crixer 04-11-2019 10:22 AM

I am going through a brake resto on my 84. I pulled them all off and started the rebuild and cleaning. It was just a massive PITA. For under 700 bucks to restore and replate all 4 calipers, I decided to let the professionals do it. I just mailed mine off yesterday to http://www.pmbperformance.com/mid-911-brakes.html.

ibeaudoin 04-11-2019 10:27 AM

You can try to massage it a bit by lubricating the exposed section of the piston with brake fluid and using a c clamp with pieces of wood to push it in and air to push it out.
Do this a couple of time and it might start to move again so you can easily remove the piston and do a rebuild.

911 Rod 04-11-2019 11:27 AM

I've never not used compressed air.
Get a few thicknesses of wood and gradually blow out the pistons. If one comes out and the other doesn't, stick it back in and block it off so it can't come out.
I'd drain them first or the fluid will fly everywhere.
Easy job, although time consuming.

theiceman 04-11-2019 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 911 Rod (Post 15766257)
I've never not used compressed air.
Get a few thicknesses of wood and gradually blow out the pistons. If one comes out and the other doesn't, stick it back in and block it off so it can't come out.
I'd drain them first or the fluid will fly everywhere.
Easy job, although time consuming.

yup thst exactly how i did it , some wood and shims , and gradually removed shims till it popped out.

dr914 04-11-2019 01:40 PM

we usually use a grease gun, works every time

wareaglescott 04-11-2019 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by crixer (Post 15766103)
I am going through a brake resto on my 84. I pulled them all off and started the rebuild and cleaning. It was just a massive PITA. For under 700 bucks to restore and replate all 4 calipers, I decided to let the professionals do it. I just mailed mine off yesterday to http://www.pmbperformance.com/mid-911-brakes.html.

I almost included a comment like this in my previous post. I redid my complete system and it really challenged my love of DIY vs the amount of hours it took me vs paying someone else to do it. Ultimately I am glad I did it all myself but about 75% of the way through I might not have agreed. haha

Edward 04-11-2019 03:40 PM

You guys rock, thanks! I was half-hoping there would be an easier solution, but I guess I'm going in (just ordered a caliper rebuild kit ...and a rubber brake line just because I'm there).

FWIW, I did rebuild one of my fronts maybe over a decade ago, so the process is there, deeply rooted in some distant memory. But all these reminders are truly helpful! As usual to my RL brethren, big thanks, gents! You all rocketh mightily!!! :D

Edward

crixer 04-11-2019 03:45 PM

I had the rebuild kit and I had made an appointment with the media blaster. I just switched over to fixing my 997's AOS coolant leak. I have too many car problems going on. I really wanted them to be replated and done correctly. I have to drop the engine and do my fuel lines, clutch, etc next. I figured I will have enough DIY to last a life time....

r911 04-11-2019 04:44 PM

replace all 4 of the rubber hoses (unless you did it within the last 15 years)

you may be able to use the pedal to push the piston out - that's easiest

compr. air next - wear eye protection

grease makes a mess, but works fine

may as well buy dust boots and seals now - my ('73 with Al '77 arms) had little clearance so you may want a low profile socket, etc.

911 Rod 04-11-2019 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by r911 (Post 15767063)
replace all 4 of the rubber hoses (unless you did it within the last 15 years)

you may be able to use the pedal to push the piston out - that's easiest

compr. air next - wear eye protection

grease makes a mess, but works fine

may as well buy dust boots and seals now - my ('73 with Al '77 arms) had little clearance so you may want a low profile socket, etc.

I think using the pedals would be painful for my body. You would be juggling the caliper and then shims and now you have to push the pedal.

You don't need eye protection when using air. Just put a towel on top. Try not to jump when it pops. lol

Please don't tell me you guys are pumping grease into your calipers. Yuk.

Just my opinions being a .......