Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Antenna 911 SC access and wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 12:25 AM
thinkiwanta928
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Antenna 911 SC access and wiring?

Ok, so I spent the day removing the 1980’s aftermarket alarm system on my newly aquired 81 SC. Unbelievable amount of excess wiring, components, and switches.

Next, I started properly installing the newer stereo unit. I ran into a puzzle - my car has what I assume is a factory installed electric antenna in the driver’s side fender. I have the antenna lead, but cannot locate the wire for power on signal fromthe stereo. According to my Bentley Service Manual, which has very little on the radio system, it says the wire from the antenna to the radio for power signal is white. But I can’t find it.

Does anyone know where the white wire enters the cabin area of the car body?

How does one access or replace the antenna if necessary? Looks like the only way to get at is reaching around the trunk hinge trying to get into the fender?

Thanks!
Charles in Dallas
Old 03-17-2019, 10:31 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

I had my door off when I accessed and removed the antenna. I have a 79 SC. The wiring goes into the cabin through a grommeted hole near where my left knee/shin is when seated in the driver seat and goes up under the dash from there.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:51 AM
thinkiwanta928
Instructor

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
I had my door off when I accessed and removed the antenna. I have a 79 SC. The wiring goes into the cabin through a grommeted hole near where my left knee/shin is when seated in the driver seat and goes up under the dash from there.
Many thanks! Very logical, however I only see the antenna arial lead coming through.

When I reach my hand around the trunk hinge putting my hand on what I think is the electric antenna, I feel two harnesses coming from that area. I think I need to studynthose and where they go. One splits and a larger wire goes to the fuse panel, the rest of the harness goes along the firewall but I can’t see where.

Anybody else have an experience?
Old 03-17-2019, 03:38 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

The other harness in that area on my car was going to the doors. (power windows and mirrors).
Do you also post on Pelican forum? I find there is a wider audience of guys with technical knowledge there and generally I get more feedback from that site because more eyes are on the questions. You may want to try over there if you dont get the help you need here.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:29 PM
thinkiwanta928
Instructor

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
The other harness in that area on my car was going to the doors. (power windows and mirrors).
Do you also post on Pelican forum? I find there is a wider audience of guys with technical knowledge there and generally I get more feedback from that site because more eyes are on the questions. You may want to try over there if you dont get the help you need here.
Well, it turns out my antenna is mechanical, or manual, not electric. Spent a lot of time chasing and searching for wiring harness I guess doesn’t exist on my car? I finally was able to get a good view of the antenna through the door jamb and saw it was manual.

Did Porsche exclude wiring harness for options not selected?

Were fog lights an option? (US delivered car)
Old 03-18-2019, 08:29 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkiwanta928

Well, it turns out my antenna is mechanical, or manual, not electric. Spent a lot of time chasing and searching for wiring harness I guess doesn’t exist on my car? I finally was able to get a good view of the antenna through the door jamb and saw it was manual.

Did Porsche exclude wiring harness for options not selected?

Were fog lights an option? (US delivered car)
Antennas that were mounted on the driver's side are manual and antennas mounted on the passenger's side are electric.

I thought that fog lights were standard on US delivered vehicles but I'm not 100% positive so hopefully someone will confirm or clarify...
Old 03-20-2019, 09:09 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

If its electric it is on passenger side
Mechanical is on drivers side
Old 03-20-2019, 09:19 AM
thinkiwanta928
Instructor

Were fog lights standard equipment on a 81 or an option?
Old 03-20-2019, 08:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

I believe fogs and ac were standard by 81

Quick Reply: Antenna 911 SC access and wiring?