Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Where do you connect the negative for the battery tender?

Old 03-27-2019, 07:56 PM
Jonny Retrofit
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
As I said above. Impossible to create a spark if there's no connection to another power source.
Sorry. not true. If the charger has capacitors inside, then the inrush current can cause a spark at the battery terminals irrespective of whether the charger is powered or not.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:04 PM
Aviators
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny Retrofit
Sorry. not true. If the charger has capacitors inside, then the inrush current can cause a spark at the battery terminals irrespective of whether the charger is powered or not.
The Deltran Battery Tender JR that almost everyone I know uses (including myself) is advertised as spark proof. While you're 100% right electrically- I think they've engineered it to do the opposite and even prior to putting voltage through check for both terminal connectivity.

That said- I still connect while unplugged because I'm a giant wuss.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:52 AM
Jonny Retrofit
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviators
The Deltran Battery Tender JR that almost everyone I know uses (including myself) is advertised as spark proof. While you're 100% right electrically- I think they've engineered it to do the opposite and even prior to putting voltage through check for both terminal connectivity.

That said- I still connect while unplugged because I'm a giant wuss.
Sure, it depends on the charger design. A good design should not spark.

My comment was aimed at the general statement made about not getting sparks without ‘connecting a power source’.

We have all seen this. Forgetting chargers, pretty much all newer cars will spark just on battery connection. This is caused by the multitude of capacitors charging almost instantaneously in all the electronic devices onboard . This inrush current can be quite high - could be several hundred amps but only for a short period of time.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:56 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sajan
Well to make it easier and safer I installed the other connector that came with the CTEK. It was a pain in the butt trying to loosen the nut on the terminals since it's a tight space.

^^^ Done
Old 04-04-2019, 06:34 PM
RShepHorse
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually there is some remote theoretical risk of detonating hydrogen gas created by electrolysis of water during the charging of a battery when you disconnect your clamps, that's why instructions usually have you unclamp a remotely attached ground connection first.... doubt that a tender could ever create enough hydrogen.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:53 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

My CTEK has battery clamps and a socket for connection to a dc port. So I just plug it in. It takes a few seconds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where do you connect the negative for the battery tender?