Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

915 transmission seal questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 06:54 PM
donzimatt
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 915 transmission seal questions

Hi, I purchased a 915 transmission that works but as long as it's out I'd like to re-seal it. When I pulled the pumpkin out there was a seal that was loose on the inside of the input shaft. I'm puzzled because there is clearly a bearing outside of that seal. shouldnt the seal be on the outside of that input shaft?? Is there another seal on the outside? How does the bearing get lubricated if there is a seal between it and the case? The input splines are larger diameter than the shaft, so I must need to remove the input shaft in order to replace that bearing and seal. it looks like there is a large nut with a bearing behind it where the input shaft enters the transmission portion of the case. Can someone tell me what this should look like and how to best service it?

Also I can see a green seal around the shift shaft. Can I simply hook this and pull it out and then press a new seal in? Or do I need to take the trans apart and remove this shaft to service the seal?

thanks, Matt

Old 03-10-2019, 04:50 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

What year is your transmission? Yes, that loose radial oil seal should be pressed into the clutch guide tube. There is not a bearing in there, not sure what you have in there -- a duplicate radial oil seal?
Old 03-10-2019, 05:51 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Kevin, isn’t that an older 915 with the guide tube that requires disassembly to replace the seal? Maybe someone used two seals trying for some insurance the last time the gearbox was apart? Not sure if two fit, which may explain why one is loose?

Mark
Old 03-10-2019, 08:59 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
Kevin, isn’t that an older 915 with the guide tube that requires disassembly to replace the seal? Maybe someone used two seals trying for some insurance the last time the gearbox was apart? Not sure if two fit, which may explain why one is loose?

Mark
Mark, you're correct, as I look at the second of the OP's photos. It does appear to have the clutch guide tube that is permanently installed -- what a silly idea! And you may indeed be right that someone tried doubling up the seal to avoid doing the required disassembly. Thanks for the sharp eyes!
Old 03-11-2019, 12:38 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

so is it a '72?
Old 03-11-2019, 04:29 PM
donzimatt
Intermediate

I purchased it and it was advertised as a '75. Great information, thanks much. There is certainly something in there and I assumed it was a bearing, but it is tan and it must be a seal. Interesting. Maybe I'll try to press it out the back with a pipe and then keep the best one and cut out the other? Looks like I'd need to take the trans apart to put a new seal in.

What about the seal around the shift rod? I'd like to replace the seal as long as it's out if its possible without taking it apart. is this possible?

thanks, matt
Old 03-13-2019, 10:42 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by donzimatt
What about the seal around the shift rod? I'd like to replace the seal as long as it's out if its possible without taking it apart. is this possible?
Easy peasy. Grab the current one with a seal puller, right-angle pick, or whatever you've got that can insert past the lip and pull on the vertical face from the "inside." Pack a new seal with grease and push into place. It won't take a lot of force, the seal is small.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:25 PM
donzimatt
Intermediate

Got them done. thanks for the info and encouragement.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:33 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by donzimatt
Got them done. thanks for the info and encouragement.
Congrats!

Quick Reply: 915 transmission seal questions