Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Vandalism on Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 04:33 AM
Wild West
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vandalism on Porsches

Very close to buying my first 991 911 Carrera 4S. I live in a city of about 100,000 in the middle of an agricultural area with more than its share of gangs, drugs and crime. The Porsche will be safe at home but I am concerned about parking it in and around the city, you know, jealous people that can't stand to see someone else have something nice. Porsches are very rare here and they are so beautiful I'm afraid it will attract the crazies. Your thoughts or actual experiences are welcome.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2019, 01:27 PM
Gdub
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I drive my 2016 toyota tacoma anytime i have to leave my car. The porsche i only drive when it will be close by. Sad to say because of what you already know.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:52 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually won't hesitate to drive mine anywhere with a decent lot. Im more concerned with stupid door dings or idiots running a shopping cart into it then vandalism. Put in either case, that's what insurance is for so drive and enjoy
Old 03-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 491 Posts

It really depends where you live. I’ve been driving Porsches for almost 30 years and other than door dings, I never had a problem.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:23 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Honestly, people don't care what you drive. You're the one worried and others will ignore the car. If you're talking about parking at walmart, local cheap grocery, dollar tree, etc... I wouldn't be worried about that...as long as its public and people around, most are smart enough not to vandalize anything. Pissing someone off and parking somewhere private is more likely to get your car key'd. Door dings is what i'd be afraid off, but honestly rare and normally if you park near a car that looks maintained that people is going to be careful (they don't want to ding their own car...).

That said, I wouldn't park a fancy car in an area that's known for crime. Actually I wouldn't park ANY car there. Thankfully I simply stay out of these areas completely.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:53 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

try the 991 forum we are old cars here
Old 03-04-2019, 07:03 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Here's another angle to think about this from ...

Will your concern impact the way you use the car and how much you enjoy it? If that does not have a good answer, you may regret it.

Back when I bought my '85 back in the 90's, I thought of it that way and purposely did not buy a mint version, since I knew I did not want to worry about things. My friend, a few years later, bought a really nice '88 or '89, basically same car as mine but nicer in every way. Low mileage, etc. He ended up selling it after a few years since he found he was basically afraid to take it out to the point that it was not enjoyable owning it. It spent all its time in his garage (or at his mechanic, since he kept trying to get the AC fixed, vs. me who removed mine and keep the top down all the time), and whoever bought it from him got a great deal on a great car. So 2 different people, almost the same car, 2 different outcomes based mainly on the different attitudes, and slightly based on how perfect the car was.

So in addition to objectively analyzing the true risk, it's important to understand how you process risk.

And yes, try the 991 forum. I don't know if any of those have manual transmissions, but I think that is an important theft deterrent on the older 911s.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:27 PM
AG81
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by George 993s
I drive my 2016 toyota tacoma anytime i have to leave my car. The porsche i only drive when it will be close by. Sad to say because of what you already know.
^
I have been doing this for years with my nice cars. If I can't watch it I don't take it. Sad.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:14 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I parked my silver Boxster on the street one day and somebody put a flower on it.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:42 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The other night I was returning from an Oscar party and was low on gas.

I decided to fill up, but that was in a sketchy area. Frequently, people ask about the car while I am pumping gas for it. That happened this time too, but then a homeless guy approached me. He wanted to sell me some window tinting, of which he had a roll. I politely told him no thanks, but in the back on my mind I was worried that the decline would aggravate him enough to either hit me or the car with it. I got mentally prepared for that possible action. Thankfully nothing happened.

I will now be more prepared so that I don't have to make that kind of stop choice when driving this car.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:19 AM
luke-44
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by George 993s
Above was true for me too. There was a summer evening moment with my early ’66 a few years ago when I took wifey for an ice cream cone and realized I couldn’t leave the car for fear of getting keyed, so she went in for the ice cream and I stayed by the car . At that moment I realized the value of the car meant it never longer could be used that way. It had somehow crossed over. People can be jerks.

Quick Reply: Vandalism on Porsches