Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   G-series (G50) or 993 ownership (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/1130690-g-series-g50-or-993-ownership.html)

Imola74 02-23-2019 04:13 PM

G-series (G50) or 993 ownership

Hey guys,

I am seriously looking into buying a vintage 911 (finally). I'm planning on driving it about 100miles per week as a daily driver and to the occasional cars & coffee. I am not very concerned about 'collectability', but obviously it'd be great if it really didn't depreciate. Currently I am driving a mk. 7 Golf R (manual) but I wont be after I get the 911.

I am curious about the day-to-day operation and general maintenance with both cars, preferably from those who've owned both. I know for a fact that right out of the box, an '87 car will need A/C and will likely need other things that maybe the 993 wont? My budget is a rather firm $45k, and I do see quite a few nice 993 Carrera coupe options out there for that. Im not really too interested in 911 SC (915 gearbox) cars cause of the 3.0L power output and, well, the gearbox. The '87-'89 Carrera's aren't too easy to find, most look like they need considerable work done to them. Keeping the car for many years is a goal, and I accept that eventually the engine would need an overhaul.

I guess it may seem a bit obvious to go for the 993 without looking back, but I can't help but think the G series have a totally different vintage experience and mystique to them that is hard to ignore.

911Dave 02-24-2019 12:01 AM

I have an '88 Carrera and I've owned two other 915 Carreras as well as a 993. As a daily driver, the 993 will be the better choice as it's quieter inside the cabin and is a little more plush, refined and comfortable. As a weekend fun car, the earlier Carrera is the better choice because of the visceral experience that is noticeably diminished in the 993. But the 993 is a better performer, looks fabulous, and as you mentioned the stock A/C system works very well. The G50 Carrera and 993 are IMO the best of the air cooled cars. Neither is a bad choice no matter how you intend to use it.

The 993 will be more expensive to maintain and especially to repair, but the difference isn't huge. Make sure you get a PPI before buying so you know what repairs are needed. Your budget of 45k can get you a pretty good example of either one, but not an exceptional example. At that price either option will likely need some minor things attended to but shouldn't break the bank.

For the last 2 years, 993 values have been holding steady. 87-89 Carreras have been increasing over the past year or so. This is according to Hagerty and my own observations. But a daily driver isn't going to appreciate much in any case because of the miles piling on. I would suggest you not worry about this aspect and just enjoy whatever car you get, and maintain it well.

myflat6 02-24-2019 12:05 AM

Get out and drive 'em. The 993 is in many ways the ultimate air cooled Porsche but it depends on what you are looking for. Very hard to compare these cars - drive them and you will see what I I talking about.

Spyerx 02-24-2019 12:57 AM

Living in fl and semi daily I’d go 993 as your first. Maybe 964.
They feel and are much more modern.
the g 3.2 cars are great too both 915 and g50. But. The ac while it works while driving really sucks when driving slow around town. And mine works well for a g body car. You can retrofit a more modern system and living in Florida you may want to.

But they are night amd day differences to drive. I’ll say this. While i love my g50 it’s the least favorite of my 4 911s. It has a heavy feel. Isn’t very fast. And is really great for cruising but not great for aggressive canyon driving. At least in stock form which mine is.

mooty 02-24-2019 12:59 AM

had both inc every variant of 993, except GT2
I kept G body and no 993
if you only do 100 mile a week, I think G is more fun
but the AC in G is no bueno for FL

kreeshp 02-24-2019 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Imola74 (Post 15659317)
Hey guys,

I am seriously looking into buying a vintage 911 (finally).

My budget is a rather firm $45k, and I do see quite a few nice 993 Carrera coupe options out there for that. .

Originally Posted by Spyerx (Post 15660278)
Maybe 964.

Finding a sorted 964 coupe for $45k or less will be nearly impossible.

Imola74 02-24-2019 10:25 AM

Yeah the 964 isn't even on my radar because of availability/prices. When I began looking at 911s again recently I was sort of glued onto G50 cars. I just happened to see a few 993's for my budget and I honestly couldn't believe it.
Is it not so good that there are quite a few sub $50k 993 Carrera coupe's available? I understand that the later C2S/Turbo/RS cars are a lot more desirable. Is the 993 Carrera a soft spot in the market because it isn't all that great, and people would rather buy a G series instead? One would think that any 'last of the air-cooled' would be just untouchable in terms of prices.

raspritz 02-24-2019 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Imola74 (Post 15659317)
\My budget is a rather firm $45k.

With respect, you really are not in the price range for a well-sorted vintage 911 that will serve well as a DD.

Imola74 02-24-2019 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by raspritz (Post 15660734)
With respect, you really are not in the price range for a well-sorted vintage 911 that will serve well as a DD.

Well, thats why I'm here, seeking advice. I'm not expecting perfection, collectability or even complete originality.

Can you elaborate for me on what a buyer can expect with said budget?

Rick-A-Shay 02-24-2019 01:38 PM

As mentioned above, both cars have their positive and negative issues from performance, handling, and comfort, to complications of maintenance and repair. One thing NOT mentioned here is outlined recently in the 993 forum. There are reported issues of rust forming in the front windshield and rear window channels underneath the seals. If you see paint bubbling there, you know whats happening.
I would think this would be a consideration, especially in your climate.

ksluna 02-24-2019 08:36 PM

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-thoughts.html

I asked this exact question in December and the thread was really helpful if you wanted to read through it. I was torn between a 993 and a 3.2 and I decided that I will get a 3.2.

I do not think you will find a G50 in good condition for 45K unless you get pretty lucky. Most of the G50s I have found are actually more expensive than comparative condition 993s.

tcsracing1 02-25-2019 01:28 AM

The 993 is your best option. Daily friendly with A/C. The ride is really nice.

It is not a torsion bar car with Fuchs however...

raspritz 02-25-2019 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by ksluna (Post 15661776)
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-thoughts.html

I asked this exact question in December and the thread was really helpful if you wanted to read through it. I was torn between a 993 and a 3.2 and I decided that I will get a 3.2.

I do not think you will find a G50 in good condition for 45K unless you get pretty lucky. Most of the G50s I have found are actually more expensive than comparative condition 993s.

That earlier thread mostly addresses the OP's question. That said, all those stories about bulletproof engines with 150K miles on them and perfect leakdowns are the exceptions; a PPI is a must. In terms of 'raw' experience, the early SWB and LWB cars are fun, but I wouldn't describe them as particularly 'raw', and their unreliability, low power, and vague gearboxes factor into the total experience.

AG81 02-25-2019 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Imola74 (Post 15660796)
Well, thats why I'm here, seeking advice. I'm not expecting perfection, collectability or even complete originality.

Can you elaborate for me on what a buyer can expect with said budget?

^
Having gone through your future path in the past 24 months. Buy the most expensive / sorted car you can afford. I looked at a bunch of G50 cars.
They ranged from 47K - 65K. I opted for a $47K starter and it needed $8900 worth of work immediately.

Everyone has their opinion on the G50 vs 993. I will offer no help here on that. I prefer what I prefer.....it has no bearing on you and your likes and dislikes.

r911 02-25-2019 03:03 PM

for $45k, get a nice 996 - good A/C and very undervalued - you can laugh at the haters while beating them on road & track

otherwise, 993