Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.4 L Delete Air Pump & EGR System

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 10:21 PM
Heater Guy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.4 L Delete Air Pump & EGR System

I am building a Track Only 3.4 Engine for my 2008 Cayman to run in SCCA.

For this engine I want to eliminate all the Emission requirements as it will not be required.

The engine has the air pump and the EGR system as part of the emissions requirements.

The attached photos show how the system is incorporated. The BLUE Wires shows the path of the cold air from the air pump. It entered the top of the block and is directed through a package into the EGR channel (ditch) in each head. The RED Wiresshow the path of the hot air (2 holes in the exhaust bowl of each exhaust valve) these holes go from the exhaust bowl into the EGR channel (ditch).

I assume the emissions design allows this channel (ditch) to be pressurized by both cold air from the air pump and hot exhaust from each exhaust cycle. Some of the exhaust will be blown back into the combustion chamber (containing some unburned fuel) and the air from the air pump will aid heating the catalytic converters.

As I don't see any reason to contaminate the combustion in the cylinders with exhaust, I plan to eliminate the air pump and plug the air pump holes on top of the block. In addition, plug all 12 holes (2 per cylinder) with screw in plugs. It is easy to do by tapping each hole in the channel with a 5/16" plug. This will eliminate any exhaust from entering the channel (ditch).

Anyone have experience with this subject?

Old 01-11-2022, 11:16 PM
victor25
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you do this? How did it turn out? n Did it make any difference in performance?
Old 01-13-2022, 01:48 AM
gtfhercules
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're looking for the 987 forum. Not really sure us aircooled nerds could help you with this
Old 01-15-2022, 02:49 PM
Heater Guy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It must work. It's part of the emission system that puts burnt fuel into the compression chamber. That's what it is designed to do.Why would you want that?
Old 01-15-2022, 08:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

again as pointed out.. please visit the water cooled section for further info.

welcome aboard.

Quick Reply: 3.4 L Delete Air Pump & EGR System