Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Barn find turbo look '73 T/V - what to do with it?

Old 01-06-2019, 06:15 PM
Arrin
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barn find turbo look '73 T/V - what to do with it?

I was offered an old 911 by a good friend who inherited the car from her father upon his passing, 17 years ago. Apparently the car was driven to the storage but has been sitting ever since.

When first seeing the car it was covered with lots of random goods but seems somewhat intact. Initially I thought the car was a 3.0 or an SC with turbo look flares and tea tray. However upon inspecting the build number it seems to be a '73 911 T/V (911350XXXX), which to my understanding means ROW spec car which originally had a 2.4 with carbs. Long hood!
I didn't manage to get a proper look at the engine but based on a sticker on the engine I figured it has a later 2.7 engine in it. Obviously the car needs to be pulled out from the shed and properly inspected to determine the condition. The inside is very rough but couldn't spot major rust damage in the exterior. Considering the car doesn't have it's original engine or body panels, I am thinking of buying it as a project to be turned into a ST/RSR style hot rod.

I am not an expert in vintage 911s, I have prior expertise in 60's muscle cars and have been fortunate enough to daily drive a 997.1 Turbo for the last four years. However I am eager to get into air cooled 911's and I think this car deserves to be returned to it's long hood form.

Is there something obvious that I am missing or have mis-interpreted based on these initial photos of the car?
Do you know if there are long hood ST/RSR style bumpers that fit the turbo look flares? I am aware that the ST flares are a different shape.

Kind regards,
Pietu

Rough interior.

Wiring mess and double batteries?

2.7 from 1977?

Paint seems okay

Turbolook

ps. Sorry for the horrible pics, there was no space around the car.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:23 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Oh man. Lots of sins of the past on that one. What sort of $ are they asking. Be prepared for a large bill to bring it back. Early cars have dual 12v batteries. Looks like it was updated to the bumper car carrera look. I can’t tell if fenders are modified. But stuff like the metalwork trim and stuff, mirrors, wing, and seats are all from later early cars hide their rust. Gotta get under it. Common places are rear parcel shelf, front pan, floor pans, sills, etc. lift the carpets. Check engine Bay Area. Also between fenders.

May be a good car to bring back. For the right price.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 AM
Arrin
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Oh man. Lots of sins of the past on that one. What sort of $ are they asking. Be prepared for a large bill to bring it back. Early cars have dual 12v batteries. Looks like it was updated to the bumper car carrera look. I can’t tell if fenders are modified. But stuff like the metalwork trim and stuff, mirrors, wing, and seats are all from later early cars hide their rust. Gotta get under it. Common places are rear parcel shelf, front pan, floor pans, sills, etc. lift the carpets. Check engine Bay Area. Also between fenders.

May be a good car to bring back. For the right price.
Thanks for your reply!
Yea, agree on the sins of the past. You might be right about the bumper car carrera look, it might not have turbo flares. It just seemed more curvy from the rear fenders than early cars. Thanks for the tips on places to look for rust! Next time I go see the car I'm going to pull it out and put it on jack stands and properly look for rust and other gremlins.
Pricing wise she is expecting me to make an offer as the car is not and never has been on sale. What do you think would be a reasonable price, considering the car probably has rust problems and lots of DIY fixes? Probably needs bodywork, lots of trim, all rubber parts, wiring and whole interior along with backdate parts for long nose to make it right. I was thinking 10-15k but don't want to steal it off of her.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:04 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

There are too many unknowns to put a price on it at this point. $10-15K might not be stealing it, depending on your plan and what it needs to get there. What would you do with it? Is this the air-cooled car you want? If so and you want to restore it, are you prepared to spend a fairly large amount of money, time, and effort on this particular car? Would you work on it yourself or hire it done? If this car isn't your heart's desire, would you buy it and flip it? I bought a matching numbers '69T for $18K five years ago at the height of the market to rebuild as a driver. I wound up on the slippery slope to a full restoration. I'm into it now for about $100K, and maybe it will be done this summer. Are you ready for that?
Old 01-07-2019, 11:34 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

These cars have areas where rust is visible (many were noted by Spyerx) and some that are hidden (kidney bowls, longitudinals around the gas tank and batteries, rockers, under the asphalt sound deadening material). Look for the areas of obvious rust and expect more once you start tearing it apart. These cars are worth saving (I especially like the final original 911 2.4 generation of '72/'73), but you can easily get deep into $$ with these cars (as raspritz noted) so go in eyes wide open.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:12 PM
AG81
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

This looks like it could be an expensive venture.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:05 PM
Arrin
5th Gear

Thanks for your replies guys. Lots more to take into account than I thought when considering the car as a project. Appreciate the rust finding tips. Will let you know how it turns out when I next make it to see the car, it's not in my city so can't just pop by.
I acknowledge that getting a project such as this into pristine condition will be cost intensive and it would more than likely be cheaper to purchase a decent driver. However as I described in my initial posting, I'm not looking for a concourse condition original car but rather an ST style hot rod that I can build to my own liking without having to feel bad about originality. I know that for this it would probably be easiest to backdate a 3.2 or an SC but I like the fact that this particular car is originally a long hood which I can return to that shape instead of backdating a newer car to something that it's not. I intend to do the work myself in my shop aside from extensive body panel work and would rather leave the engine+tranny build to a Porsche specialized shop. I wouldn't mind using GF wings and bumpers to save some weight while going back to long hood. Throw in some rs doorcards, new carpet, prototipo wheel and recaro style buckets.
All in all, I think whether this is my project or not depends a lot on how much rust damage there is. I'm not looking for a 100k restoration, more like half of that on a barebones hot rod to have fun with.

Cheers!
Old 01-08-2019, 04:34 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Arrin
Thanks for your replies guys. Lots more to take into account than I thought when considering the car as a project. Appreciate the rust finding tips. Will let you know how it turns out when I next make it to see the car, it's not in my city so can't just pop by.
I acknowledge that getting a project such as this into pristine condition will be cost intensive and it would more than likely be cheaper to purchase a decent driver. However as I described in my initial posting, I'm not looking for a concourse condition original car but rather an ST style hot rod that I can build to my own liking without having to feel bad about originality. I know that for this it would probably be easiest to backdate a 3.2 or an SC but I like the fact that this particular car is originally a long hood which I can return to that shape instead of backdating a newer car to something that it's not. I intend to do the work myself in my shop aside from extensive body panel work and would rather leave the engine+tranny build to a Porsche specialized shop. I wouldn't mind using GF wings and bumpers to save some weight while going back to long hood. Throw in some rs doorcards, new carpet, prototipo wheel and recaro style buckets.
All in all, I think whether this is my project or not depends a lot on how much rust damage there is. I'm not looking for a 100k restoration, more like half of that on a barebones hot rod to have fun with.

Cheers!
I get it - if you can buy this right, then it may suit your desires. If you can get this for $15 or lower, I think that is very good. Finding a longhood in any shape at a decent $ is becoming very hard these days. If this car hit the open market at $15k, I think it would sell quickly. Your point about not worrying about originality is a good one - I can relate to that with my project. I feel like I have complete flexibility to do what I want to my car and not worry since so much of it needs to be replaced anyway - whereas a nice car would add some personal struggles for me to hotrod. Prepare for emotional ups and downs as you tear it apart - I am going thru that now with my '72 - but I am enjoying my project
Old 01-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Arrin
5th Gear

Originally Posted by myflat6
I get it - if you can buy this right, then it may suit your desires. If you can get this for $15 or lower, I think that is very good. Finding a longhood in any shape at a decent $ is becoming very hard these days. If this car hit the open market at $15k, I think it would sell quickly. Your point about not worrying about originality is a good one - I can relate to that with my project. I feel like I have complete flexibility to do what I want to my car and not worry since so much of it needs to be replaced anyway - whereas a nice car would add some personal struggles for me to hotrod. Prepare for emotional ups and downs as you tear it apart - I am going thru that now with my '72 - but I am enjoying my project
Been following your build thread. Good stuff and helps me align my expectations. I think we have similar mindsets, though your car looked like a way nicer starting point. Good luck with the build!
Old 01-08-2019, 06:50 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Arrin
Been following your build thread. Good stuff and helps me align my expectations. I think we have similar mindsets, though your car looked like a way nicer starting point. Good luck with the build!
Thanks! BTW, did you happen to get a peek at the paint color code to see what the original color was? Color can also drive premiums for these cars.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:25 AM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly the care does not look bad, it could be worse and have a strosek or 959 kit lol.

interior inset horrible, the car will be a project and can come out very nice, there should be like no rust because it looks like theres fiberglass. 1976 was the first year the body was galvanized so if it has some panels from there and above should be no rust.

i think that would be a nice project, if you keep it. a flip woudlent really be a good idea. as time goes on you'll see how much money goes in.

a fair price would be 12-15k, retail lets say eBay- gullwing- east LA aka beverly hills auto club would ask 20k-

my personal limit would be 15k because i know how much crap adds up.

a long hood RS creation would be nice- or anything you like- if you do some work yourself and not looking concurs figure 40-45k total- that includes the 15 k you spent on the car.

you may be able to sell some parts off it.

i also came to air cooled porsche from vintage muscle cars- 71 chevelle, nova, 86 mustang notch with a 460ci and a blower.

its like driving a go-cart on the street.

Also i swear by M&k exhaust- headers and good muffler reduce weight 50lbs and make a huge difference
Old 01-09-2019, 11:47 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Not nearly enough info to decide. I'm weird, but I would have to pull it out of there and get under it and crawl around for while. What's the engine bay look like?

Just based on what you show, I would keep looking. I don't have that much time in my life. I like projects, but that's more than I would want to deal with. Each to their own. And I have seen really bad cars brought back to amazing condition. But not my desire. Some cars....they need to pay you to take the project over !!!
Old 01-10-2019, 02:42 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

1973T with a space saver spare
not a US 1973.5 which would have the full size spare; I forget if the 1st 6 months of US production had the full size spare or not; and am not sure about a Euro model either

but, yes, that car will need a lot of work, even if you keep the flares as a S-T approximation...
Old 01-10-2019, 02:45 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

that steering wheel is familiar but I'd have to sleep on it to kick over the ol' memory bank

- may be worth $$ by itself
Old 01-10-2019, 02:48 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

ok, it has been "improved" with later bumper car mirrors & bumpers, and re-painted cocaine red ---> that it was done in the 1980s - sorta Don Johnson special

if so, it may have been sitting a looong time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Barn find turbo look '73 T/V - what to do with it?