Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Barn find turbo look '73 T/V - what to do with it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:14 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

I believe the steering wheel is from a 924
Old 01-10-2019, 04:28 PM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Their coming to check the car for cocaine in the spare tire (outfit not included with car)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:22 PM
Arrin
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Super90
Not nearly enough info to decide. I'm weird, but I would have to pull it out of there and get under it and crawl around for while. What's the engine bay look like?

Just based on what you show, I would keep looking. I don't have that much time in my life. I like projects, but that's more than I would want to deal with. Each to their own. And I have seen really bad cars brought back to amazing condition. But not my desire. Some cars....they need to pay you to take the project over !!!
Agreed that there is not enough info to really decide whether it is worth it. Wasn't able to make it to properly inspect the car this week but I'm planning to take the trip early next week. I have a number of all original "historic" cars so I like the fact that I can customize this one to my own liking.

Originally Posted by myflat6
Thanks! BTW, did you happen to get a peek at the paint color code to see what the original color was? Color can also drive premiums for these cars.
Didn't get to check the color tag, not sure if it was present but will pay more attention when I next see the car. I'm just wondering how much the original color matters if the car ends up a hot rod.

Originally Posted by Starbuckslova1
honestly the care does not look bad, it could be worse and have a strosek or 959 kit lol.

interior inset horrible, the car will be a project and can come out very nice, there should be like no rust because it looks like theres fiberglass. 1976 was the first year the body was galvanized so if it has some panels from there and above should be no rust.

i think that would be a nice project, if you keep it. a flip woudlent really be a good idea. as time goes on you'll see how much money goes in.

a fair price would be 12-15k, retail lets say eBay- gullwing- east LA aka beverly hills auto club would ask 20k-

my personal limit would be 15k because i know how much crap adds up.

a long hood RS creation would be nice- or anything you like- if you do some work yourself and not looking concurs figure 40-45k total- that includes the 15 k you spent on the car.

you may be able to sell some parts off it.

i also came to air cooled porsche from vintage muscle cars- 71 chevelle, nova, 86 mustang notch with a 460ci and a blower.

its like driving a go-cart on the street.

Also i swear by M&k exhaust- headers and good muffler reduce weight 50lbs and make a huge difference
Thanks for your comments, I was estimating a similar valuation for the car and budget for the build. Cool cars! We currently have a 68 big block charger, 59 FI vette and my latest project is a -32 ford roadster with a -39 merc 59A flathead and -41 ford driveline. My brother has a 993 Turbo so the air-cooled bug bit me years ago. I tried to check out the m&k mufflers but couldn't find a website for them?

Originally Posted by r911
ok, it has been "improved" with later bumper car mirrors & bumpers, and re-painted cocaine red ---> that it was done in the 1980s - sorta Don Johnson special

if so, it may have been sitting a looong time
Yea, as I said in my initial posting, it has most likely sat still without being driven once since the owner died 17 years ago.

Originally Posted by r911
that steering wheel is familiar but I'd have to sleep on it to kick over the ol' memory bank

- may be worth $$ by itself
The only similar looking steering wheel I managed to found was by an italian company called raid. Not sure if it's from them but I don't particularly like the look of it.

Originally Posted by Starbuckslova1

Their coming to check the car for cocaine in the spare tire (outfit not included with car)
Haha, maybe the car is worth more than we thought!
Old 01-12-2019, 12:25 AM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree its fun buying something you can modify into something that's yours.

my car was a targa cut into a convertible and updated to a 993 widebody.

Would I do that to a red targa he'll no. But someone else did. So I bought a project to make my own.
4 years later its all sorted out and done. But now its being taken apart and painted lamborghini orange (aracio borealis) for the next 6 months and changing the top to black 993 style currently blue.

All chopped up non original but i don't feel bad messing with it.

I think this car would be a good project for you if its a good price go for it.

Ive had several muscle cars big block chevys etc no mopar
but I.do favor small block ford.

Headers and exhaust make a big difference. So would carbs and a cam.

https://mkexhaust.com

Quick Reply: Barn find turbo look '73 T/V - what to do with it?