Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fuel Pump Relay Location & Cigarette Fuse Location

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 10:38 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Relay Location & Cigarette Fuse Location

Hi, I just picked up a 1986 911 and am very excited to join the air-cooled community! A friend of mine suggested it would be good to have a fuel pump relay switch with me in the car, in case I have a problem. I know where the fuse box is in the front luggage area, but the relay switches that are there are red and black, and the fuel pump relay (at least from Stoddard and others) appears to be a square. Does someone have a picture of which switch in the fuse box is the fuel relay one?

I also have a cigarette lighter that's down and wanted to plug my trickle charger in there. Is there a way to tell if it's a blown fuse and if so which one would I look for? Where should I get fuses from?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-31-2018, 12:39 AM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed.
they must fit snug so make sure of that
also a dying fuel pump pulls more current sometimes blows the relay.

When I get new relays I buy oem, then I separate the 4 corners of the plugs so they fit snug.

Also they are all made in China now

I believe its the 3rd one from the front. First 2 are round. Ill include a pic

your owners manual will also have the location

Old 12-31-2018, 12:46 AM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

I buy fuses from pelican parts buy oem.

I believe fuse #9 9th from the front.
I believe 25amp and has blower and rear defogger on it.

So if none of those work its the fuse

The lighter new is like 70 bucks 2 wires easy change

Different cars a
Have different options so fuses depend on equipment

Again also get a copy of the owners manual even if you print it. In case you get stuck
Old 01-02-2019, 12:58 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Hi, I just picked up a 1986 911 and am very excited to join the air-cooled community! A friend of mine suggested it would be good to have a fuel pump relay switch with me in the car, in case I have a problem. I know where the fuse box is in the front luggage area, but the relay switches that are there are red and black, and the fuel pump relay (at least from Stoddard and others) appears to be a square. Does someone have a picture of which switch in the fuse box is the fuel relay one?

I also have a cigarette lighter that's down and wanted to plug my trickle charger in there. Is there a way to tell if it's a blown fuse and if so which one would I look for? Where should I get fuses from?

Thanks for the help!
There is no fuel pump relay in a Carrera. The fuel pump is controlled by the Motronic ECU under the driver's seat. The relay your friend was referring to is the DME relay, which plugs into the ECU. It is not a fuel pump relay, but does sometimes fail suddenly and will strand you if it does. Always carry a known good one in your glove box, and the tools and knowledge of how to replace it on the side of a road.

The cigar (cigarette) lighter fuse is #9. There is a fuel pump fuse also, #6.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:07 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

You guys are awesome, thank you so much!
Old 01-03-2019, 02:08 AM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Originally Posted by 911Dave
There is no fuel pump relay in a Carrera. The fuel pump is controlled by the Motronic ECU under the driver's seat. The relay your friend was referring to is the DME relay, which plugs into the ECU. It is not a fuel pump relay, but does sometimes fail suddenly and will strand you if it does. Always carry a known good one in your glove box, and the tools and knowledge of how to replace it on the side of a road.

The cigar (cigarette) lighter fuse is #9. There is a fuel pump fuse also, #6.
Thank you for the correction! Always ready to learn

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Relay Location & Cigarette Fuse Location