Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New to me 1971 911T

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 02:26 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedt0y
Do you have link for door panel material?
Got it on eBay. guy had some NOS 40yr old german stuff and it looks, from close ups, to be very close or same to what is in car. I bought all he had. How much do you need? If for dash should have some extra. Not sure for door panels until mine are made.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:44 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Suspension going on and alignment this week
Rear spring plates (painted black, stealth mode)
Front sway is on
Rear sways welded up
Tie rods on
Bought an RS rep steering wheel that is on, with horn button etc
Bought waffle vinyl to redo the door panels with an RSR type panel
Bought Hella 118 driving lights for the horn grills to blind SUVs with (will wire to LOW beam relays I installed :-) properly aimed of course)
Bought KN air filter setup for the carbs, need more induction noise
Ok I lied. I'm kinda hot rodding it. Just a little bit.
SICKNESS
Share some pics soon! Sounds awesome
Old 02-08-2019, 09:49 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Old 02-08-2019, 09:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Been in a bits buying spree. Didn’t have time to get down to the shop but they are getting close.
Found this square weave on eBay. Bought all he had left hahha. New old stock German 40 yrs old. It looks identical to what is on my dash.
These are going to over to appbiz for some door panels. Rsr style.
And. These suppppeer nice hella driving light reproductions. These things look bang on to originals. Came with some beautiful new horn grills too cut for the lights.
Also got some air filters you know the open kind with rain hats. Maybe a bit more induction noise
and a new round mirror
and a bunch of small bits to clean up interior some.
I have issues.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:23 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Well. That is annoying. Bought and paid for 8 yards. Received 5 yards. Should be plenty for 2 pairs rsr style panels
now to chase seller for partial refund

good news is the material is excellent.

Last edited by Spyerx; 02-09-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:52 PM
AG81
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Been in a bits buying spree.
^

I love that part of the process.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:41 PM
wru
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 149 Posts

Can’t wait to see the install pics. That waffle weave is outstanding!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:43 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wru
Can’t wait to see the install pics. That waffle weave is outstanding!
The material is super nice. The seller is a knucklehead. Still trying to get a refund for the non-delivered material... UGH.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

A few pictures from yesterday.
Some issues. This crap never goes as planned and you always run into small things that cost time and $ to do them right. A few comments on the pictures below:
--I 'thought' if you look at the pictures on Sierra Madre the RS type reproduction wheel (the most $ one) is 380mm, double wrapped leather, and a SPACER off the back. Without it the wheel is way to close to the dash. I get wheel. No damn spacer. Luckily AAse Sales makes one. But, here take a new wheel, drill out rivets, and make it right. And Sierra non-responsive. Will keep trying them but I didn't have time to waste w/ their issues given the back order of the parts to begin with. I'll say this: I found Sierra pretty good but their stock and communication can be crap.
--Rear suspension pivot points. My car being a T didn't have sway bars. Front is easy, bolt on. Rear is a PITA. First need to weld brackets. 2nd need to weld the pivot points. The pivot points should connect on the flange and on the back to the a arm main body. But, the pivot points sold now aren't long enough. So shop extended them and welded them in proper.
--Elephant racing spring plates were bolt in, but wanted the color to be black like factory. We used paint, as because of the adjustment and bolt points it would most likely crack powder coat.

Anyway, of my list, this is left to be done:
--install 73 RS type door panels - App Biz is awesome. They are about 20 mins from me, so I brought them the waffle weave material I found (that looks fantastic.. but seller still hasn't refunded my $ for the unshipped material and eBay sucks for service, will call amex on monday). I brought him the material and he made the panels for me. Look great! Now if Wevo can just get the cool aluminum handles in stock
--align the car. the suspension is all done and indexed, so alignment and adjust height to final specs
--install pertronix electronic points
--jet and tune carbs
--adjust clutch - i hope it's not a wear issue or motor is coming out! I suspect it may be just adjustment as it only will slip about every 10 times.
--touch up all the under coating
--adjust shifter action
--road test
--full nut/bolt

Last edited by Spyerx; 02-16-2019 at 12:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NeufCentOnze (03-15-2021)
Old 02-16-2019, 12:56 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks for posting pictures! I’m enjoying this thread

I have the same OCD as you and believe that if your going to do it... do it right the first time or don’t do it at all.
You are lucky to have so many great shops around you.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:14 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fskof
Thanks for posting pictures! I’m enjoying this thread

I have the same OCD as you and believe that if your going to do it... do it right the first time or don’t do it at all.
You are lucky to have so many great shops around you.
Unfortunately that OCD comes with a price LOL
I don't need every detail perfect, period correct, etc, but the things I want right, I want done RIGHT. Mechanical right-ness is more important to me than cosmetic correct-ness.
I do feel OK that I'm still ahead knowing a few other cars that would be more or less "out of the box" at how I like them and what THEY would have cost me.

This should be a pretty fun car. A nice torquey 2.7L motor in a good chassis setup with some proper interior mods. Just hot-roddy enough, w/o going over the top.

We are VERY lucky here in CA with the car culture. The rates for labor are high though, and the best shops are very, very busy. The shop i'm using here is very small, the shop owner only has 1 other guy, and they only have 1-2 cars in at a time, plus 1-2 longer term projects. They don't work super fast, but, I'm ok with that, I prefer quality over speed any day of the week.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:42 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Wow lots of progress and looking great! I am looking at the photos of your pivot points and wondering if yours or mine are 'correct' I had mine welded in but I drilled out the holes for them to where the knuckle or boss part fit into the hole and the piece made contact with the back of the arm. It looks like yours may have been done different with the boss not quite sitting in the hole. Hard for me to tell for sure in the photos. Before I drilled the holes and took the pieces to a welder I had asked Robert (@Super90) for photos of his that Mayos had just done. It may not make a difference since the brackets can be welded to the appropriate place for the pivot setting/length. You are right about nothing ever going smoothly - my project has been full of surprises.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:16 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myflat6
Wow lots of progress and looking great! I am looking at the photos of your pivot points and wondering if yours or mine are 'correct' I had mine welded in but I drilled out the holes for them to where the knuckle or boss part fit into the hole and the piece made contact with the back of the arm. It looks like yours may have been done different with the boss not quite sitting in the hole. Hard for me to tell for sure in the photos. Before I drilled the holes and took the pieces to a welder I had asked Robert (@Super90) for photos of his that Mayos had just done. It may not make a difference since the brackets can be welded to the appropriate place for the pivot setting/length. You are right about nothing ever going smoothly - my project has been full of surprises.
Honestly , I have no idea which is "correct" could be yours is? Mine had to be drilled too, but IIRC, there was an indentation for the hole size?? If the hole was larger the pivot would sit deeper. But, i did a little searching and there seem to be some different rear swing arms (steel) depending on years. Mine is a 71. Also see 2 different pins, and it's possible I got the wrong one for my year. Not sure, suspect it should work fine.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:11 PM
myflat6
Drifting

^got it! I agree it should work either way.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Working on ride height. Bottom is before. Top after.
Going to just a tick lower in rear and adjust front to proper rake.
This is about the stance i want.
A bit lower than euro. Not slammed.
Sleeper hot rod lol
​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: New to me 1971 911T