Old 01-03-2019, 10:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by wru
and so it begins....

'This car will NOT be hot rodded'
'But not doing anything else'
Can't help myself. Disease / sickness. More, I just know what I like in how a car feels. But c'mon, are putting "S" type chassis improvements on it hot rodding it?

When I think hot rod, I think: flared fenders, stripes, fatter wheels/tires, slammed, stripped interiors, etc.

That's not this! (yet)

Originally Posted by boostedt0y
Are you on stock T calipers? I want to upgrade my pads as well.
-Carlo
I think so, looking at the build / refurb receipts looks like the factory calipers were refinished. I don't have the larger "S" fronts. Thats a bit of a job, the brakes are quite good already (the entire system was refurbished), I just want a tick more bite and modulation. The R4S pads I have on my Carrera and they're pretty good, and not expensive. And, Porterfield is 15 mins from me so I just drive there and get 'em!

Originally Posted by stevesc_us
I certainly have no regrets with my 73 T hot rod that has a 3.2 motor transplant with an added EFI/ITB conversion as well. My car was fortunate to have come from factory with sport seats, but like you I just couldn’t leave well enough alone and sourced a like new set of GTS Repro Sport Seats and had the corduroy inserts changed out to this classic Scottish blue tartan fabric that took me forever to find. Now I have the option of having an all black interior or can change out to the GTS seats for a little pop of color. A few pics:
Love those seats. I went with the seats from Deser. I'm not patient at times(I posted an Ad on pelican, got a couple hits but nothing amazing) so I just bought them new. They had a set in stock in leather/houndstooth and should have them next week.

Our interiors will be quite similar. Simple and classic.

You want to sell your door panels? :-)

I had a discussion with Kurt at PartsKlassic (they did the car top to bottom) and he said the previous owner faced the same issue. The panels were trashed, not savable, handle missing on one side, pockets destroyed on both sides. He said the current reps are not great. Anyone have any experience with them? I'd be OK spending 2-3k for some if they looked excellent.

I think for now I'm just going to source some waffle vinyl and wrap the existing panels or find a set in waffle with a pull strap. I really don't care for the RSA panels. I don't mind the RSR type with the strap.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:40 PM
wru
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 149 Posts

No doubt, however, I'm hoping with enough encouragement this turns into another thread like the 964... beautiful work done there, and i'm sure this one has the potential for the same level!

Which seats did you end up with from Deser, and what's the leadtime if you don't mind me asking?
Old 01-04-2019, 01:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I think I settled on a chassis matches the power and grip approach, But not doing anything else. Sort of "S" spirit I think?
Probably sleeper is the right word as I won't change the look other than a slightly more aggressive alignment.
It should drive quite different. And for me, I think the better and should still be plenty comfortable and steetable.
IS THIS A NEW JEDI MIND TRICK OF YOU TYRING TO CONVINCE YOURSELF OF WHAT YOU ARE NOT DOING?
I am obi wan.
I know your tricks,
Old 01-04-2019, 01:19 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wru
No doubt, however, I'm hoping with enough encouragement this turns into another thread like the 964... beautiful work done there, and i'm sure this one has the potential for the same level!
Which seats did you end up with from Deser, and what's the leadtime if you don't mind me asking?
Ha. I don’t think so. At least for now. 2 hot rods, 2 cruisers, and a date car.
Exoticcarseats.com aka mrfiat.com imports them
they has leather with houndstooth recaro sport style in stock. Shipped today :-)
https://www.exoticcarseats.com/produ...t-name=sport-s

Originally Posted by mooty
IS THIS A NEW JEDI MIND TRICK OF YOU TYRING TO CONVINCE YOURSELF OF WHAT YOU ARE NOT DOING?
I am obi wan.
I know your tricks,
instigator :-)
Old 01-04-2019, 10:58 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

JMO but changing to 7x15 Fuchs w/ a lower profile tire is a very worthwhile/cost effective move

Here's a close approximation of the change, I couldn't use the CN36 because I don't have weights for them, speaking of which If you have the tire weights or even weights mounted on the wheels that would be nice to know, also UTQG? Loaded height?

any way you can get ~18-19 lb-ft more torque for acceleration + much improved grip
Old 01-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
JMO but changing to 7x15 Fuchs w/ a lower profile tire is a very worthwhile/cost effective move
Here's a close approximation of the change, I couldn't use the CN36 because I don't have weights for them, speaking of which If you have the tire weights or even weights mounted on the wheels that would be nice to know, also UTQG? Loaded height?
any way you can get ~18-19 lb-ft more torque for acceleration + much improved grip
Yes, you're right. if ultimate performance was the goal for me on the car. Look to me (of period) is important too. And lower profile tires sort of defeat that.

I can't find weights, only these specs:

185/70VR15 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 N4
185/70R15TL 89WN4 CN36
24.88" O.D.
7.28" Section Width
"W" Speed rated up to 160 mph.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:42 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

re: interior door panels - I'd get appbiz - you can get the foam board 'skins' and spend as much on leather at an upholstery shop as you want...
Old 01-04-2019, 04:47 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

The car has AppBiz panels in it now (I have them in my 964 too). They're a good shop, just about 15 mins from me. I usually go there to get them.

But, I don't like the 964 style handle and pull in this car. I could get his blank panels and source some waffle vinyl and wrap them...

He makes an RSR type panel with a leather pull strap with smooth type vinyl that is nice.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:19 PM
AG81
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

The car has AppBiz panels in it now (I have them in my 964 too). They're a good shop, just about 15 mins from me. I usually go there to get them.

But, I don't like the 964 style handle and pull in this car. I could get his blank panels and source some waffle vinyl and wrap them...

He makes an RSR type panel with a leather pull strap with smooth type vinyl that is nice.

^
Sounds like a good idea........

Old 01-04-2019, 10:23 PM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Real nice color nice car Congradulations enjoy it
Old 01-05-2019, 12:41 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I look forward to seeing those. I'm wanting to install that type of door card too. Aase has some listed for $389 with all the hardware. They are likely Appbiz from Bob, but I don't know that for a fact. I seem to remember that RSR handle is from some early Fiat. I have the data somewhere. I'll dig it up.

These cards look pretty good...

For now, I've got plenty to work on.

I have Bob's door cards in my 964 and his engine pads in the C2 and I just put one in the early coupe. Good stuff.

Last edited by Super90; 01-05-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:25 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Might be a little to raw /hot roddish of a setup for your door panels, but an idea would be black corrugated sign material (plastic) and then get trim from McMaster Carr around outer edge. Looks cool and very clean. Buddy of mine did that on his '73.

Last edited by CBA; 01-05-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CBA
Might be a little to raw /hot roddish of a setup for your door panels, but an idea would be black corrugated sign material (plastic) and then get trim from McMaster Carr around outer edge. Looks cool and very clean. Buddy of mine did that on his '71.
post some pics if you can
Old 01-05-2019, 02:02 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hard to see. I'll PM you a video.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to me 1971 911T