Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New to me 1971 911T

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 02:04 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Hit the canyons day before yesterday. That was fun. Really happy with how the car drives and goes. Really with the handling, I just want a bit more flatness and lean, I don't want more grip or to lose the light steering feel or ***-weightedness of the car. I have my 964 and G and GT3RS and Spyder for that :-)

My 'mod' list grew a bit :-) I've decided to keep the car period, but sport it up just a bit (maybe more S?). I can't help myself. But given it has an S look with a 2.7L motor, i figured I should S it up a bit?
The list:
--Recaro sport seat reproductions. My stock seats are in great condition, but you slide around, a LOT.
--RS type steering wheel, possibly prototipo (current wheel is 400mm!!). I think the momo is a bit small, some of the RS type reps look nice, about 370-380mm would be OK
--swap door panels for now to the RS type (from the RSA type in there now). eventually will put proper panels in it. Want a waffle patters on the panels like the dash.
--Turbo tie rods. These I have already for install
--factory F/R sways 16/15 or whatever it was, with all factory hardware. i want it to look period, the aftermarket bars all look... aftermarket
--1-2mm up rated torsion bars F/R 21/26 maybe (I have bilstein HD shocks, new)
--Proper alignment, not too low, more euro heigh F/R
--Porterfield R4S pads (I have these on my G body, they are good street pads)
--Fender cooler. This will probably wait, car runs when driving it hard in cool weather right at 210, i suspect it will run hotter in warm weather with only the factory cooler at the engine at a 2.7 motor. Will see how it runs after the engine is tuned.
--And a buddy says at some point i'll have 7" wheels in the back. lol

Yesterday I did a few things: replaced headlight rubber seals ( I think the new ones are crap and don't last long), while in there installed high-temp H4 sockets, my car just had the factory spades with the sockets missing. Either they were removed to install the fenders or melted at some point, probably the former. Just the spades were on the bulbs. Also found the car has 80/100 Hella bulbs in the H4 w/o RELAYS. Ugh. Will put good standard bulbs in there, and have ordered a JWEST relay kit for the headlights. Also cleaned up the buckets a bit.

Today will go do a little driving.

Will have put about 500mi on the car in a couple weeks. And now have a good 'list' for the tech i'll be taking it to next week.
The following users liked this post:
NeufCentOnze (03-14-2021)
Old 01-01-2019, 02:43 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

^ Keeping her stock didn't last long...lol! I don't blame you and I like your build ideas - very similar to what I am doing - although it sounds like yours will be done way before mine, so I may have to live vicariously through your build as I continue to resurrect my car Funny you mention sport seats - I spent most of the morning researching original sport seats - crazy amount of knowledge one has to have to be sure they are buying legit seats - if anyone has a single source/thread they can share, please do - I can only find info here and there but not one super good source.
I also opted for factory items - everything I have purchased so far is factory Porsche except for the torsion bar upgrades, which are 21/26 Swayaways. I have all brand new factory parts for front and rear sway bars, except for the 18mm front bar itself - if you go with 18mm front, they are super hard to find, although there is a guy on Early S that sells a complete kit with all factory parts except for the bar which Tarret makes for him (he said he would sell just the bar to me - let me know if you need his info). Let me know if you need factory part numbers for everything - I just ordered all parts for front from the 76/77 Turbo PET and everything for the rear (also 18mm) from the 74 Carrera PET. I ordered everything from Sunset. There is welding involved for the rears - I actually still need to have the brackets welded to the chassis, but I have to have the fuel pump bracket cut off first - I don't think the 71 is mounted on the rear driver side near the torsion tube is it? If so, you will have this same challenge. I am sure your shop will handle this with ease though.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I won't be buying original sport seats. Too $. I will be putting the recaro sports, not buckets or fixed back. The best reps seem to be the ones from Italy, you can get from exoticcarseats.com (related to mrfiat.com) and are about 4k shipped in leather/houndstooth. A used set just got posted on pelican yesterday that are in europe. There are also the seats from GTS I think it is. LONG lead times for those. Not sure quality vs. the italian seats.

I think i'll stick with the slightly thinner bars. If you have the full parts list for front and rear that would be FANTASTIC. There are a lot of bits needed. I know my front a-arms have the connection points and the body plates are there. But, on the rear, I don't think I have the connection points to the swing arms nor the body, so yeah, welding needed but that's fine.

And a link to the early S guy would be great. I want to just buy all the parts and hand it to the shop to deal with.

I am not sure where my fuel pump is, it may have been relocated?? I haven't been under the car fully yet. Too lazy to get it up on jack stands :-)

Anyway, that's the plan, basically S suspension bits and alignment. That's it.

Ok time to go hit the canyons, late day, so just a cruise.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:27 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Got it - my parts lists are for the 18mm bars, so there are differences in the parts you need. If you want to stay stock, then just grab all the part numbers from the '71 PET. Not that this will help you with the smaller bar set up, but here is the link to the guy selling the 18mm front kits http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...highlight=18mm

But the arms, bushings and other bits are unique to just that 18mm early Turbo bar.

Have a fun drive - wish my car was mobile. I may get the SC out though.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:03 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Cool thanks for the links.
Hit malibu canyons. Hadn’t been up there since the fires. Roads weren’t too rocky, one bridge closed on my normal loop. Some smaller roads had a lot of wash debris. Oh well. Still a stupid fun time.
These old cars have such a light tactilenfeel to them. So much fun. But did confirm my desire to reduce roll just a bit.

Oh, my Speedo cable broke. Was getting a little click noise from behind in decel then Speedo stopped and click noise is gone.

Added to the list!!!

Old 01-01-2019, 11:19 PM
wru
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 149 Posts

How are you liking those CN36's after getting a few miles on them? I went with the P6000's even though i love the look of the CN36... still debating 1200 miles in!
Old 01-02-2019, 12:12 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wru
How are you liking those CN36's after getting a few miles on them? I went with the P6000's even though i love the look of the CN36... still debating 1200 miles in!
I love 'em. Keep in mind I don't expect them to handle like rComps!
They ride great, have very good steering feel, very progressive, and look fantastic.
I have no intent to change to a more "modern" or grippier tire with the changes.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

what u don't run hoosier like the brits?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:46 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
what u don't run hoosier like the brits?
Ha, NO! I like my bodywork.

Found a thread from the previous owner with some pics of the car as he got it in 2011:
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-71-911-a.html

Old 01-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I have issues. Parts ordered/purchased:
21/26mm F/R torsion bars
18mm sway bar kit front
18mm sway bar kit rear
Turbo type tie rods
Porterfield R4S brake pads
Sport seat reproductions
RS type steering wheel
Headlight relay kit

Car goes in next week for mechanical shakedown, unsure if I will install all chassis bits then or wait.

That's it... for now.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:06 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

^^^^ as someone stated earlier "Hot Rodding it"... maybe a "sleeper" Hot Rod but it is what it is... and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. actually might be more concerned if you weren't doing these mods enjoy it as it will be a blast.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:06 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I have issues. Parts ordered/purchased:
21/26mm F/R torsion bars
18mm sway bar kit front
18mm sway bar kit rear
Turbo type tie rods
Porterfield R4S brake pads
Sport seat reproductions
RS type steering wheel
Headlight relay kit

Car goes in next week for mechanical shakedown, unsure if I will install all chassis bits then or wait.

That's it... for now.
you don't mess around! good for you - sounds like a good list of goodies for sure
Old 01-03-2019, 03:20 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I think I settled on a chassis matches the power and grip approach, But not doing anything else. Sort of "S" spirit I think?
Probably sleeper is the right word as I won't change the look other than a slightly more aggressive alignment.
It should drive quite different. And for me, I think the better and should still be plenty comfortable and steetable.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:53 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Are you on stock T calipers? I want to upgrade my pads as well.

-Carlo
Old 01-03-2019, 06:12 PM
stevesc_us
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I certainly have no regrets with my 73 T hot rod that has a 3.2 motor transplant with an added EFI/ITB conversion as well. My car was fortunate to have come from factory with sport seats, but like you I just couldn’t leave well enough alone and sourced a like new set of GTS Repro Sport Seats and had the corduroy inserts changed out to this classic Scottish blue tartan fabric that took me forever to find. Now I have the option of having an all black interior or can change out to the GTS seats for a little pop of color. A few pics:

Last edited by stevesc_us; 01-03-2019 at 06:13 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: New to me 1971 911T