Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New member advice on getting a 911

Old 12-20-2018, 10:34 AM
crash22
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New member advice on getting a 911

Hey looking for a bit of advice, I have always wanted a late 70’s early 80’s 911 since I was a kid. Currently I have a 1963 Corvette Grand Sport replica one of only 3 in Canada. I truly love the car as it is a fun drive and has 515 hp to the rear wheels, no radio( too loud for one ) but a fun drive. The problem I have is my wife says if I want a Porsche I have to get rid of the Vette. Since I have never owned one I’m looking for a bit of advice from people who own and love their cars or have went from a V8 to a flat 6. Willl the Porsche be a more comfortable ride, more fun to drive, better experience etc.
thanks for your help, in helping me with this decision.
crash22
Old 12-20-2018, 11:41 AM
AG81
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Might I suggest owning both. Completely different experience owning an air cooled 911. I also offer advise on your wife's orders....... ignore them.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:49 AM
crash22
Intermediate

lol, I would love to have both but unfortunately not enough room in garage, only if I had a 3 car garage lol
Old 12-20-2018, 12:29 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Two car garage is actually 4 with a couple lifts!
Old 12-20-2018, 12:31 PM
crash22
Intermediate

Lol no room my garage is under my living room not high enough already measured
Old 12-20-2018, 01:45 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts

Hard to say. I've driven modern cars with 500+ HP - if you like acceleration that feels like you're about to make the jump to light speed, you won't get that in a 911. If you like a small, nimble car that's fun to drive through the twisty's, the 911 will likely be more fun than the Vette.

I like the looks, the heritage, and the quirks of a 911. I like the camaraderie of ownership. I like that I can pretty much make any mechanical repairs myself. In stock form the 911 is worth having a radio in, and you can easily have a conversation with your passenger. And with a stock suspension the ride will likely be better than your Vette, but that's hard to predict from afar.

A 911 of that vintage is only going to be about 180-235 HP. Mods for significantly more reliable horsepower are going to be very expensive ($10K+). It's also very hard to get proper AC working in an old 911 if that's important to you. Some parts are really expensive. If you need to pay someone to rebuild an engine, think about $15K-$20K. Gearbox rebuilds probably $3k-$4k.

I think the only advice that really makes sense is for you to try to find one you can drive.

Mark
Old 12-20-2018, 02:12 PM
crash22
Intermediate

Not too concerned about air conditioning as the Vette doesn't have air either. Love the Vette but not great on road trips, leaning towards listing the Vette and if I get what I want for it I'll let her go then begin the fun journey of looking for that right 911.
Eddie
Old 12-20-2018, 02:41 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

I mean I don't want to state the obvious but if you get rid of the wife and her car it seems like it would be problem solved! hahaha

Seriously though maybe I can add to the discussion. I have a high horsepower loud as hell Cobra that I built. A total blast to drive. I also have a 2018 C2S that I completely love. Only problem with both those cars is they are to fast to really get full use (really not anywhere close to fuil performance) out of on regular streets without driving like a complete irresponsible moron. Not sure how you drive your Vette but for me I have a great time in the Cobra going from a stop to speed limit +10 in a blaze of speed and sound but that takes all of about a few seconds and I spend the rest of the time cursing around well within the performance limits of the car.
Early this year I decided I wanted to add an air cooled 911 to the garage. It is quite a different driving experience it. Sure it is slower, in fact very slow compared to the other two fun cars but it is so engaging to drive. You can actually exercise the car through gears 1-4 without the danger of killing somebody or going to jail. I just love driving it around. Hard to explain but there is just something really enjoyable about it. Now I am fortunate to be able to keep the loud fast car also so I did not have to evaluate getting rid of one to get the other.
My suggestion is to drive some and see what you think. My Uncle is a big car nut and tells me sports cars are like shirts. You get tired of wearing the same one every day. Maybe you are ready for a change and to experience something different.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:17 PM
crash22
Intermediate

The problem about the two car garage is that the other spot is taken up by my daily driver a 2016 Mercedes AMG. My wife parks hers outside lol. I would live to take an earl 911 for a spin but rate now in Canada all the cars are put away for the winter. As I said always wanted a 911 but just don't want to regret getting rid of the Vette but maybe it is time for a new shirt.
Eddie
Old 12-20-2018, 04:08 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

No other car can match the handling experience of the rear-engined 911. The 911 also has very low dive on braking, and a fabulous light steering "touch" - both due to the rear engine.

You will want to drive a few before making a decision. IIRC, you can join PCA w/o owning a Porsche now and there should be members nearby who will give you rides at least; maybe let you drive theirs.

Driving a 911 on snow is like nothing else (maybe telemarking). But just wait until spring if you need to.

Also, the Benz can sit outside. Only MB that really should be parked indoors is a Gullwing...
Old 12-20-2018, 06:48 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

If you can responsibly afford it, I would lobby the wife to let you buy the 911 and then decide which car to keep after a summer of use. My gut is; if you really enjoy that older corvette you will be disappointed with the 911, at least in the engine. Your corvette is unique enough that it sounds like it would be hard to replace. It would be a shame to miss out on trying the 911 experience, because they really are great cars, just in a much different way. It would also be a shame also to lose that vette on a whim. If your wife is just being a dick, stick to your guns and your word and negotiate an extended test drive of the 911. If she's arguing that you shouldn't have both because you legitimately will put a strain on the family, I'd probably keep the corvette.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:37 PM
crash22
Intermediate

Actually my wife is pretty good about it I think she doesn't like the fact I keep changing cars , I went from a 66 Mustang fastback Hertz clone then purchased a 73 Vette, then sold them to buy the Grandsport. I like trying different cars but always wanted a Porsche since I was 16, the Vette is great but only for short rides not made for 2-3 hr road trips lol. Actually when I bought the Vette I was looking for a 911 but the owner of the Vette contacted me about trading his Vette for the 66 Mustang. Which he didn't like because no power steering but I loved the Vette and purchased it after selling my two other cars. As I said I'm leaning towards the 911 as I always wanted one just a tough decision. First world problems I guess lol.
thanks
Ed
Old 12-21-2018, 05:50 PM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Crash, what kind of AMG? I’ve got a C63 up north and (hiding from my girlfriend) a 996 in FL. I want to keep both of them. The Merc has that ‘jump to light speed’ feel but doesn’t turn.

I HAD to get back to a 911.

Even though I’m one of those idiots who like 996’s, I was seriously sniffing around late ‘80’s Carreras here. You just can’t beat the originals. Good luck and keep us posted!

TC
Old 12-21-2018, 06:01 PM
crash22
Intermediate

My AMG is th 45, picked that one over the 63 for the AWD as I drive it sometimes during the winter. Would love an air cooled 911 manual as my Vette is ratchet shift and the AMG is paddle.

Last edited by crash22; 12-22-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:48 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Can you afford a 930? You sound like you would be better in a mildly modified 930 than a stock SC or Carrera.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New member advice on getting a 911