Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Attempting to buy a 3.2,having second thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 11:02 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

No, I meant why the shock tower brace is useless.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:05 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cavlino
The rust is only surface on the passenger rocker panel.
Do some searching, and you'll see examples where the "surface" rust was way deep inside the rockers.
Unless you know what you're doing, I'd be careful without verifying the extent of rust damage.
Rust visible is sometimes the tip of the iceberg. Cars rust from the inside out.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:48 PM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood

handling wise it doesn't really make a difference for cornering. I have one on my car- makes my suspension squeak but looks cool, i like it it but not super useful
Old 03-20-2019, 11:26 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
I mean that it's useless on a street car and also on your average DE car, especially in a coupe. I tracked 911s for several years, in the fastest PCA run group, both with and without the strut brace and never could tell a difference in the car's feel or grip during cornering.

But what really settled the argument for me was this recent thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...and-after.html

The thread starter claims it can increase torsional rigidity by 10%, which might actually help a targa or cabriolet, but still the difference IMO would be hardly noticeable on the street, even if driven aggressively. The effect on camber is negligible.

A properly built triangulated brace is probably advantageous on a race car though.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:52 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts

I have a Stable Energies triangulated brace in my Targa. I thought it made a difference even on the street in how the steering and front end felt over bumps and taking corners, but it might have all been in my head. Which in and of itself probably made it worthwhile.

Mark

Quick Reply: Attempting to buy a 3.2,having second thoughts