992 is out.. OUT! Would this affect air-cooled market? - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Air/Oil Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 911 Forum
Reload this Page >

992 is out.. OUT! Would this affect air-cooled market?

Notices
911 Forum
Sponsored by:

992 is out.. OUT! Would this affect air-cooled market?

Old 12-14-2018, 03:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

^ you hit the nail on the head. that's why I am moving to air cooled for keeps and buying GT3 to abuse. they are not that special anymore.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:19 PM
rick brooklyn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Trader220 View Post
Its not just about the car (992)... Porsche has changed into just another car company. Its not the company I revered for so many decades. Sure the 911 has evolved into a bloated car. Yes, its faster, more luxurious, handles better, is more powerful, uses less fuel, etc etc.... the cost is astronomical too. The same thing has also happened across the whole model lineup. Don't get me wrong, I will always love the cars and the company and I believe they're the class leaders in all of their models. The entry level Porsche is now a base Macan, Try building a decent base Boxster for under $70 grand. Also gone is the sub $100k 911. Gone is the Sub $100k Cayenne S. Okay so the entry level Porsche sports car is now really a CPO car. The pressure on the dealers to move more cars is intense, some of them still do a really great job running their franchises but its killing some of the smaller ones. I believe the "experience" at the dealerships is pretty good, and so is corporate support for the product. What would it be like if they made a $50k entry level sports car in coupe form?
I was about to respond with a pedantic rebuttal on the evolution of Porsche prices in today's dollars, then I checked what a 924 cost when it came out ($9,395 in 1976 dollars), and I realized that you are right. There was a time when you could buy a new Porsche sport-ish car on a mom-and-pop salary.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:28 PM
myflat6
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty View Post
^ you hit the nail on the head. that's why I am moving to air cooled for keeps and buying GT3 to abuse. they are not that special anymore.
Maybe one of these trips up north I can see your collection - you know how to pick 'em
Old 12-15-2018, 02:52 AM
Bford100
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just arrived.....now this will live under the '86 Targa

Old 12-20-2018, 09:51 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Trader220 View Post
Its not just about the car (992)... Porsche has changed into just another car company. Its not the company I revered for so many decades. Sure the 911 has evolved into a bloated car. Yes, its faster, more luxurious, handles better, is more powerful, uses less fuel, etc etc.... the cost is astronomical too. The same thing has also happened across the whole model lineup. Don't get me wrong, I will always love the cars and the company and I believe they're the class leaders in all of their models. The entry level Porsche is now a base Macan, Try building a decent base Boxster for under $70 grand. Also gone is the sub $100k 911. Gone is the Sub $100k Cayenne S. Okay so the entry level Porsche sports car is now really a CPO car. The pressure on the dealers to move more cars is intense, some of them still do a really great job running their franchises but its killing some of the smaller ones. I believe the "experience" at the dealerships is pretty good, and so is corporate support for the product. What would it be like if they made a $50k entry level sports car in coupe form?
This analogy is not correct, at all. The cars were always astronomical, when adjusted for inflation. My friend bought us a 1999 BASE boxster to rally race and he commented that the sticker price was about $38,000 which made the new 718 boxster cheaper relative to inflation. if you adjust the boxster its about $70k today dollars. depending on if you use 2 or 4 % inflation. That makes the 911SC closer to $75k and arguably a pretty decent deal.

That being said, the new base and S model cars don't feel special anymore. The 991 GT3 is about the same amount of "special" as the run of the mill 70s cars. And they say that GT3 production is limited, but they are basically making enough to completely fill demand, and doing a good job of making them seem more scarce than they are. Getting your name on a configurable allocation, is more problematic. I'm not defending the newest cars, because honestly I'm not a fan. But I don't think it's fair to make out like prices have suddenly turned sharply upward.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:36 AM
rick brooklyn
Addict
Rennlist Member

$75k is not astronomical, I don't think it's fair to call it that. And in the 80s you could have a 924 or 944 for much less than Cayman money. Porsche new car prices have gone up, in real terms.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:16 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn View Post
$75k is not astronomical, I don't think it's fair to call it that. And in the 80s you could have a 924 or 944 for much less than Cayman money. Porsche new car prices have gone up, in real terms.
That's fair, astronomical is not the right word... But my point is still valid, that to act like the cars have suddenly gotten expensive is disingenuous. the 924 / 944 was a POS and an entry level car.. Their prices inflate to right around what a macan base / stripper model cost. Prices may have gone up slightly in real terms, but what you're getting for the money now is insanely better in every metric except driver involvement. A base macan would run circles around a 924
Old 12-31-2018, 02:00 AM
Starbuckslova1
User

I would guess unrelated
only would drive down 991 997 prices 996 as well

I personally believe the classic ferrari and lamborghini prices drive up air cooled prices

Clean sc's maybe even drivers will hit 100k in few years from now its possible. I've seen showroom low mileage sc's asking some high prices 100k plus. Asking and selling are 2 different things

Remember these are real sports cars years ago
they were 12k undervalued for years. Lets see you get 200k miles out of a ferrari 328 or a lamborghini japla you'd be lucky to get 10k without having to pull the motor

though the 911 engineers were absent on the day the interior was being done- nothing bob budd can't fix the car is extremely well designed and well built which cannot be said for italian cars in the same era.

Just my personal thoughts
Old 01-01-2019, 04:55 PM
Rob Eskew
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good discussion
Old 01-01-2019, 08:08 PM
911Dave
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess I'm a little late to the party. What are the complaints about the 992? I haven't been paying attention to anything since the 997.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:36 PM
myflat6
Addict
Rennlist Member

^i haven't been paying attention to anything after the 993.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:22 AM
rick brooklyn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Dave View Post
I guess I'm a little late to the party. What are the complaints about the 992? I haven't been paying attention to anything since the 997.
Off the top of my head: Longer, bigger, heavier. Ridiculous pdk shifter that looks like an electric shaver, digital screens where the five round physical gauges used to be (only the tach is left analogue), big infotainment screen with touch buttons instead of physical controls, oversized "big gulp" cupholders, preposterous "wet mode" which senses the sound of water spalshing against the wheel well and castrates the car so people who can't drive don't get in trouble, grotesque "strips of bacon" third brake light , goofy monster jam gravedigger 21" wheels in the rear, fake exhaust tips disconnected from the exhaust. Front of the car prepped to house as hybrid unit which will be the last nail in the coffin of the 911 ethos.

In the 992 forum there's a whole thread dedicated to puking on the 992, you should check it out.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:35 AM
911Dave
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn View Post
Off the top of my head: Longer, bigger, heavier. Ridiculous pdk shifter that looks like an electric shaver, digital screens where the five round physical gauges used to be (only the tach is left analogue), big infotainment screen with touch buttons instead of physical controls, oversized "big gulp" cupholders, preposterous "wet mode" which senses the sound of water spalshing against the wheel well and castrates the car so people who can't drive don't get in trouble, grotesque "strips of bacon" third brake light , goofy monster jam gravedigger 21" wheels in the rear, fake exhaust tips disconnected from the exhaust. Front of the car prepped to house as hybrid unit which will be the last nail in the coffin of the 911 ethos.

In the 992 forum there's a whole thread dedicated to puking on the 992, you should check it out.
Wow. It sounds to me like the 911 is dead already. It looks less and less like a 911 with each new iteration, and it stopped feeling like a 911 by 1999 (except for the GT2 and 3). They should have just pulled the plug and discontinued the model instead of letting it die a horrible death like this. Sad.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:07 AM
Starbuckslova1
User

Originally Posted by 911Dave View Post
Wow. It sounds to me like the 911 is dead already. It looks less and less like a 911 with each new iteration, and it stopped feeling like a 911 by 1999 (except for the GT2 and 3). They should have just pulled the plug and discontinued the model instead of letting it die a horrible death like this. Sad.

That's actually how the 928 came about it was supposed to replace the air cooled 911. Glad that changed.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:28 PM
theiceman
Super User

Originally Posted by Starbuckslova1 View Post
That's actually how the 928 came about it was supposed to replace the air cooled 911. Glad that changed.
The SC saved the entire 911 heritage ... it was so loved that it breathed new life into the 911, so much for the small budgeted car that was supposed to be a side line while the great 928 was to ascend to the throne !!!

if this were GOT it would definitely be a King Slayer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: