Loose front latch on my ‘89 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 12:52 PM
briancrooks
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Loose front latch on my ‘89 Targa

Hello -

I recently had my targa top refurbished by Carsinc. He was highly recommended here, and for good reason. The new top looks amazing. The catch... the front latches for the targa top are now a little looser than they were before the refurbish. I have adjusted the height of the latches with the 3 5mm hex bolts, but they are still loose enough that I am getting a lot of wind noise. No water leaks or anything, just wind noise. If I pull down on the top where the latch is a little while driving, the wind noise totally disappears.

So my question is, are there any other adjustments I can make on the front latch to make it tighter? If I remove it, can the latch itself be adjusted so it can pull tighter? Is there some kind of shim that I can use to make it pull down tighter?

Anyone have any experience with adjusting these front latches?

Thanks!
B

Old 11-03-2018, 10:25 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What is the status of the front seal? (Wrapping around the windshield?)
Old 11-04-2018, 10:21 AM
briancrooks
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your response...

I am only about 18 months into my ownership of this car, so, not knowing the ideal state of that seal, I would say the it is OK. I took a couple of pics of the window seal near the front drivers side latch. see attached...

The seal still feels pliable and not stiff or brittle at all. I did notice that right where the latches are it is a little denser feeling. Like it has been compressed. The previous owner of the vehicle had all the seals replace in 2009.

I found this thread on Pelican Parts that I was looking over. It sounds like there may be some adjustments with the rear pins that can effect the front latch. Not sure how that works...

Someone else mentioned getting a new latch assembly. I was told the latches on the targa tops do wear out and that a new latch would pull the top down better. That made me wonder if there was a way to actually adjust the latch assembly in some way.

Thoughts??
Old 11-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts

Your photos didn't come through, maybe because you are new (you may need a minimum number of posts). Check the FAQ.

But anyway, the proper front seal hasn't been available for the earlier cars for a long time. Even in 2009, if the PO bought the seal from Porsche, they would have gotten a seal that is too tall (made for 964's).

There is a tutorial somewhere on how to trim this seal to fit (but I think it has to be done before installation). Or you can buy the correct seal from Cars, Inc. Dan has it specially made.

We need photos, both of the bare seal and the front edge of the top after you have it locked in place.

I would also check back with Dan Pechtel and get his thoughts.

Mark
Old 11-04-2018, 02:12 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As above, get the new seal from Dan Petchel. before I knew better, I Purchased the 964 seal from pelican parts and spent way too much time with a razor blade trimming the corners. It can be done, but it's not so much fun and you can't put material back if you cut out too much.

I have a copy of the factory service Bulletin on adjusting the targa tops that I can email to you.

Quick Reply: Loose front latch on my ‘89 Targa