Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'72 911T Hot Rod Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 12:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I'm going to order the OE parts for now for my year, will see what shop says, if they want to put higher quality mounts to the chassis I'll just buy them.
Hope fuel pump not an issue LOL.
I can see the slope coming.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:34 PM
WBYonder
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
Always smart to keep the OE stuff around! One thing I should have mentioned to Spyerx as he is evaluating his build is that using the OE rear sway bar mounts can have its challenges. The part number I gave above (#21) is the latest version of those mounts from Porsche and they have improved the design a bit with gussets, but I read a bunch of threads about the original brackets breaking with spirited driving and people upgrading to stronger aftermarket mounts (Wevo). I personally think it could have to do with age and corrosion though. I am still going OE myself, but this is a word of caution. Rob, I am guessing you upgraded those mounts?
Yes, I went with the Wevo mounts. I really like how they came out.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:56 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

On the 2 parts you ordered from Belmetric, looks like these are available from porsche (these are the 74 part numbers):
#19 Drop link washer x2: N0115301
#20 Drop link cotter pin x2: N0125361

Given the bar is the later bar, wouldn't you need these for the 18mm bar vs. the parts from the early cars?

Now I'm thinking I'll just order the better mounts from Ira (tarrett) or Wevo, not sure if they are the same, Ira carries other peoples parts too. Ok time to call shop and ask lol.

Ok NM: Just ordered the 18mm full setup from Sunset porsche - got the later factory mounts, ordered the above washer/pin. Can always change when it comes time for install.

Thx.

Last edited by Spyerx; 01-03-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:51 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

^I may have gotten those numbers mixed up across PET's - I just ordered the same things from Belmetric - yes, washers with inner 18mm diameter and 4x30 cotter - they work perfectly. Probably a good call on the Wevo's - I have to admit I am struggling to balance an OE look with aftermarket changes that just make good sense.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:22 PM
myflat6
Drifting

PMB is still working on my rear calipers - but hope to have them back soon. As I mentioned in post #66, I was thinking of trading out my Textar pads for Porterfield R4-S pads - the guys at PMB agree. I am going to be sending them my recently acquired S calipers (post #86) as well - just ironing out the details for the rebuild/restoration (which is going to take several weeks - giving me time to tear apart the front end) -- I will most likely be upgrading the pistons to their DuroAno S-Caliper Pistons, which are half the weight of the stock pistons - making these already insanely light calipers even lighter!
Old 01-03-2019, 07:08 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

making these already insanely light calipers even lighter doesn't help with the rotors...
Old 01-03-2019, 07:13 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by r911
making these already insanely light calipers even lighter doesn't help with the rotors...
true - it is a very slippery slope isn't it I have a feeling this project and kids college tuition is going to begin butting heads a lot more!
Old 01-03-2019, 07:56 PM
jmeisinger
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome thread. Love seeing the progress. I did not even know my profile was still active.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:05 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmeisinger
Awesome thread. Love seeing the progress. I did not even know my profile was still active.
Hey Joe - thanks. Now you just need to get back in a Porsche.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:09 PM
myflat6
Drifting

More parts arriving. As mentioned earlier, my left rear bumper corner was bent and the right side had a hole cut in it for a tailpipe (car must have had a dual outlet muffler in the past). So I am replacing both sides. Dansk offers a replacement option for the left side with no tailpipe cutout, which is perfect since I am going with an R or GT3 style muffler - cleaner look with no holes in my bumpers. The finish and fit of the Dansk parts seem to be good - just quickly holding up to where they mount looks good - see when I bolt them on if the gaps are good.
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2019, 02:35 PM
myflat6
Drifting

I have to admit that I am a bit all over the place with this project - still haven't finished the rear suspension yet working on bumpers, steering wheel, headlights etc - I need to get organized again. To some extent, I am just picking up good deals on things I know I will need at some point. So with that said, my plan is to clean up the dash on my car but stay very close to the OE look. I do not have knee pads on my car since I took out the A/C dash vents. Instead of replacing with the OE 3-piece (counting the ash tray) LWB knee pads, I want to go with a single, clean knee pad like the SWB cars had. I don't smoke and if I did, I wouldn't smoke in my 911 - so why do I need an ash tray?! My kids even wondered what that huge tray was for I am being told (so far by one person) that the single knee pad piece from the SWB cars will fit a LWB car with the ash tray removed. Talking to a guy about buying his part, but before I jump in, is there anyone out there that has actually installed this knee pad in their LWB that can attest to it fitting and maybe share a photo? I also want to be sure the profile looks correct and lines up with the upper sections.

My other ideas for cleaning things up is to remove the fresh air controls (the radio is already removed - so I can close off that entire middle section to the glove box with the OE basket material) and the dash speaker when I replace the cracked dash pad. My tunes will come from the flat 6 in the back and the fresh air will come from rolling (manually) the windows down
Old 01-05-2019, 02:19 AM
OC964
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump on your exact question...I’m actually debating the same on my LWB and love the look of a single lower dash piece...
Old 01-05-2019, 12:37 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I put the Porterfields on my M-Calipers and the difference is pretty amazing. I was going to look for the S-calipers, but at this point, I don't know that I need more performance for my type of driving. It would be more of an upgrade to sought after parts. : )
Old 01-05-2019, 02:37 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Super90
I put the Porterfields on my M-Calipers and the difference is pretty amazing. I was going to look for the S-calipers, but at this point, I don't know that I need more performance for my type of driving. It would be more of an upgrade to sought after parts. : )
I keep hearing good things about the Porterfields so I am looking forward to having those on all four corners. For me, my car is such a basket case that I planned on replacing my strut assemblies anyway so I figured when I do I might as well replace them with 3.5 spacing struts. And then it opens the door to the S calipers. Since i am hotrodding this thing i am also trying to save weight where I can so it addresses that as well...hey, now that i have tried to justify these things I'll just be honest - these calipers just look cool man
Robert, you should be posting pics of your sweet T on here - you and Spyerx have T's that my POS inspire to be someday
Old 01-05-2019, 02:49 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Ok, I finally finished prepping the wheel wells and sprayed the final topcoat on them this morning. I used satin catalyzed 2K ceramic as the topcoat. I may actually start putting the rear suspension on tomorrow
MY car finally has a couple areas that look decent - the rest of the car not so much

Quick Reply: '72 911T Hot Rod Build