Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My 87 3.2 Carrera - RUNNING ROUGH PLS HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 01:29 PM
Tall_87
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 87 3.2 Carrera - RUNNING ROUGH PLS HELP!

Hi all,

I`ve recently taken ownership of my first 911, its an 87 3.2 Carrera Coupe. Mileage sits at around 140k (miles) and I`m experiencing an issue which appears to be common throughout the forums. Bear with me, I`m 22yrs old so my knowledge doesn`t go very far when it comes to this car but I`m more than willing to do all I can to get this ironed out as quickly as possible. I bought the car about 3 months ago and it ran beautifully. I had the plugs, plug wires, distributor, rotor arm and fuel filter replaced along with the oil changed by my local Porsche dealership who said the car was running fantastic at the time. I then had the undercarriage of the car completely dry ice blasted (which by the way made a HUGE difference in cleanliness and appearance), the wheels refinished, new tires and a few other small things. Once these things were taken care of the car was the best I`ve ever driven. I love the car. But now I have this issue.

I`m experiencing hesitation under load and at idle. It appeared after a longer drive (about 650kms) and has been inconsistent since. However, now it seems the car is misfiring, like its under powered at cold and running temperatures almost all the time. It feels as if it is missing. I`ve done quite a bit of research, from what I`ve read it could be a vacuum leak, O2 sensor, intake gaskets or even result of a worn out battery.. I`m just not sure. I`ve ordered a new O2 sensor and tried unplugging the one currently in the car this morning. Still felt the inconsistency in the idle and when driving.. however it did run more clearly and felt better above 3,000ish RPM. Personally I`m starting to believe these problems are likely result of a vacuum leak. I need your more experienced thoughts and recommendations! I want my car back and running properly again before the snow flies..

pics attached!
Old 08-31-2018, 02:02 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

I think it would help it you post a video or two of what is happening. I'm not sure what 'running temperatures almost all the time' means. Is it running hot?

What is the idle like?
Old 08-31-2018, 02:20 PM
Tall_87
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply! It was actually the O2 sensor. The car runs much better with a new one. The hesitation is gone and the car feels as it should.

Quick Reply: My 87 3.2 Carrera - RUNNING ROUGH PLS HELP!