Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

ATE Caliper Factory coating

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 10:44 AM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATE Caliper Factory coating

I decided to buy all new calipers and went with the OEM replacements. I expected these to have the "yellow" zinc plating. However they are silver out of the box. I'm not worried about the color but wanted to make sure they are platted with some type of corrosion protection before I install them.

Based off these pictures do these appear plated? or should I clear coat them to prevent rust?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:43 PM
floatss
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Conekiller,
Once the electro plating process is completed, the part is dipped or washed in a passivate to protect the plating. The most common is called ‘yellow’ or ‘bright’ passivate, hence the yellow or gold finish opposed to the silver or bright finish.
Keeping the calipers clean and clear coating them will definately keep them looking good for longer.
Regards
Chris
Old 07-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Chris. So I can assume that these have been platted just not with the Yellow color?

I just want to avoid putting bare metal calipers on as I know they will rust at the first sign of rain.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:39 PM
floatss
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, I am quite sure they are plated and the silver or gold coulor is basically a wash to protect the plating. However, I am sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken.
I would still put a cote of clear lacker over in order to keep the shine and provide protection.
I have had lots and lots of parts electro plated and either gold or silver passivated.
Cheers
Chris
Old 07-12-2018, 06:57 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

The factory plating has been different colors over the years. The early S calipers are silver, and the later S calipers are a different silver. And then there are tons that were gold color. They are coated. If you want to clear coat them I don't know of a reason not to do it.

Quick Reply: ATE Caliper Factory coating