Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Antique Plates

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 07:23 AM
VRSENVL
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Antique Plates

Being a newcomer to owning an antique vehicle, I had been told by a number of people that instead of going for regular plates that I should get antique plates. No one will actually pull you over for something like this they all said...

After only owning the car with the plates for about 3 months, I was pulled over yesterday for you guessed it: driving to work with antique plates. I know the rules and definitely do not daily the car at all. Just wanted to drive it on a random, beautiful day in. Luckily, I escaped with just a warning but the cop did threaten that if he ever saw the car in Herndon/Reston, VA (where I work) again he would give me a misdemeanor on sight.

Those running these plates...have you ever been stopped and questioned where you are going? Anyone actually been given the misdemeanor?
Old 06-07-2018, 08:27 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

I looked into them in my state. $25 for lifetime registration I believe. Basically says you can only drive the car to car shows. I drive a lot more than that. The registration cost for a regular plate was $28 for the year plus I could get a personalized tag which I like. Antique plate did not allow that option. I figure $28 a year is so minimal I will just do it the right way and not play the system on this one. (another $50 for the personalized tag but that doesn't bother me either)
Old 06-07-2018, 09:44 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those running these plates...have you ever been stopped and questioned where you are going? Anyone actually been given the misdemeanor?
I also live in Virginia. Antique plates are a good deal here; a one time $50 fee and then no more annual registrations, no annual safety inspections and no emissions testing.

I have never been stopped. I use my 911 for fun runs, car shows and occasionally running errands. I would not use it for commuting because that is the one time the police are looking for antique tags on commuter's cars.

I was in law enforcement for 6 years; never paid any attention to antique tags except during the morning and evening rush hours. The good news is I rarely saw a car with antique tags on the road during rush hours. I see you live in NoVA. Fairfax County is very aggressive as you have found out.

If you get stopped again, just tell the officer you just finished some maintenance on your car and are taking it for a test drive. Test drives after maintenance are an authorized use; just don't do it during rush hour.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:45 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

just buy proper tags you cheap ******

how do you expect to pay for your new wall that you are putting up with Canada now ??
Old 06-07-2018, 12:40 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I live in Arizona and any car over 25 years old is eligible for antique plates and there are no driving restrictions at all. It's possible that there are no restrictions here because you don't get any special deal because you put antique plates on. Drivers do just because the plate is made of copper and looks more the part than current plates
Old 06-07-2018, 12:47 PM
BER
Pro

Guilty!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:53 PM
VRSENVL
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nesposito
I live in Arizona and any car over 25 years old is eligible for antique plates and there are no driving restrictions at all. It's possible that there are no restrictions here because you don't get any special deal because you put antique plates on. Drivers do just because the plate is made of copper and looks more the part than current plates
That’s literally the only reason I wanted them. I don’t think I’m really sticking it to the tax man by saving $16 on a safety inspection and $20 in property tax a year. If they just offered the black plates and required inspection/tax, I’d be all over it!
Old 06-07-2018, 01:19 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

I think antique would look odd on the car, reminds me of a Model -T!
Old 06-07-2018, 01:55 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman

how do you expect to pay for your new wall that you are putting up with Canada now ??
I thought Canada was going to pay for it.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:23 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Here in New York the correct antique plates are what they call "year of manufacture plates". These would be the plates that were in use when the car was new. For my 88 Cab that would be the "Liberty" plates. I just happened to have a pristine pair that my in-laws took off their car when New York updated the plates. I called custom plates at the DMV in Albany to see if the number was in use and they said no so, I registered the car with those plates. It seemed rather fitting considering that I inherited the 88 from their late son. My wife's parents have both passed on now also so their plates live-on on a car that used to belong belong to their son. SARGEPUG you should see what the state was using in '84. I think it was the Liberty Plates. I have another pair I could sell you.

Last edited by The Brewmeister; 06-08-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:11 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

State laws vary so check for your state.

I don't see the cost issue - they use plate fees to pay for pothole repair, at least here they do. The real issue is you MAY be able to avoid messing up your front bumper with a fugly plate on it.

But, if your state is big on using cameras they will be big on patrolling for no front plate too.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I thought Canada was going to pay for it.
lol .....

didn't you hear ? we are building it out of all the extra steel and aluminum we now have. Apparently we are a security threat to you guys because England burned down the white house 200 years ago ! .
Its actually all pretty funny stuff. If you guys invade again like you did during the war of 1812, please come in February, as all we can muster is a pretty good snowball fight !
Old 06-07-2018, 05:18 PM
BER
Pro

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
I think antique would look odd on the car, reminds me of a Model -T!
I don't think they look odd at all. Never saw a plate like this on a Model T.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:49 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

I think the NYS plate looks different, but it's more of the word "association", then the word itself. Even thought it's the case, I can't wrap my head around these cars being Antique. IMO, a car should be at least 50- 60yrs old for that classification and called "classic", up until then. But again, it's just an opinion and to each his own!
Old 06-08-2018, 11:14 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

WTF? Remind me never to move to VA. Here in CO they don't expect you to just park the car because it's got collector plates. Hagerty Classic cares how many miles I drive but the po-po would never bat an eye at a car with collector plate. Freaking police state.

Quick Reply: Antique Plates