Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Antique Plates

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 12:51 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
WTF? Remind me never to move to VA. Here in CO they don't expect you to just park the car because it's got collector plates. Hagerty Classic cares how many miles I drive but the po-po would never bat an eye at a car with collector plate. Freaking police state.
OK, don't move to Virginia. You would probably be arrested within minutes.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:37 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

If Virginia is for Lovers, then what is West Virginia for??
Old 06-08-2018, 04:50 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BER
OK, don't move to Virginia. You would probably be arrested within minutes.
You one of those snowflakes who takes everything personally? Different strokes for different folks. Just because I wouldn't live there doesn't mean it's not right for someone else.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:13 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You one of those snowflakes who takes everything personally? Different strokes for different folks. Just because I wouldn't live there doesn't mean it's not right for someone else

If you are referring to me, you better take another look. Last time I checked all the snowflakes were out west, especially in Boulder and Fort Collins.

Why don't we keep this topic on 911's and not politics.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:39 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
WTF? Remind me never to move to VA. Here in CO they don't expect you to just park the car because it's got collector plates. Hagerty Classic cares how many miles I drive but the po-po would never bat an eye at a car with collector plate. Freaking police state.
Actually, here in CO cars with collector plates are limited to 4000 miles per year, which isn’t bad at all.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:59 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BER

If you are referring to me, you better take another look. Last time I checked all the snowflakes were out west, especially in Boulder and Fort Collins.

Why don't we keep this topic on 911's and not politics.
On second thought I don't wish to continue this slap fight because I triggered your tribal identity by speaking ill of VA law enforcement and a silly law. I'm gonna go drive my car to celebrate Porsche's 70th. I suggest you do the same.

Last edited by GTgears; 06-09-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:01 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by raspritz

Actually, here in CO cars with collector plates are limited to 4000 miles per year, which isn’t bad at all.
No it isn't bad at all, but you also know that nobody here has ever been pulled over for just having a collector plate on the car. That's just crazy stuff.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:39 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 170 Posts

And it isn’t like anybody at Colorado DMV is actually keeping track of your mileage...
Old 06-11-2018, 09:59 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

And it isn’t like anybody at Colorado DMV is actually keeping track of your mileage...
You mean my TMU titled car with a broken odometer?
Old 06-12-2018, 01:20 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
Here in New York the correct antique plates are what they call "year of manufacture plates". These would be the plates that were in use when the car was new. For my 88 Cab that would be the "Liberty" plates. I just happened to have a pristine pair that my in-laws took off their car when New York updated the plates. I called custom plates at the DMV in Albany to see if the number was in use and they said no so, I registered the car with those plates. It seemed rather fitting considering that I inherited the 88 from their late son. My wife's parents have both passed on now also so their plates live-on on a car that used to belong belong to their son. SARGEPUG you should see what the state was using in '84. I think it was the Liberty Plates. I have another pair I could sell you.
Ha! I didn't know this and I was actually thinking about the plates i've seen in Ct. I coincidentally saw one today and it had a model T on it! That's not for me, but I'm going to check DMV now to look into what you are saying. I got my license in '86 and recall Liberty plates issued at that time, before then I believe it's what we have now..
I was right on the colors same as today, but still prefer the throwback in pic, because it's a different design and obvious vintage look! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-13-2018, 02:12 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

There are some mileage and use restrictions which are explained on the website. Also your insurance card will need to have "Historical" printed on the face of it. When they looked up the plates for me the friendly lady who I was talking to mentioned that my in-laws name were still on record as the last users of that number. She asked me what their names were first and then confirmed it. It's rumored that the custom plates division of the DMV is staffed by fellow auto enthusiasts, which would explain why they are unusually friendly.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:05 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
There are some mileage and use restrictions which are explained on the website. Also your insurance card will need to have "Historical" printed on the face of it. When they looked up the plates for me the friendly lady who I was talking to mentioned that my in-laws name were still on record as the last users of that number. She asked me what their names were first and then confirmed it. It's rumored that the custom plates division of the DMV is staffed by fellow auto enthusiasts, which would explain why they are unusually friendly.
Ha! DMV surely seems to attract angry people, at least in the metro area. I take the time to run up to DMV in Carmel. Usually greeted with a smile, not too crowded (no take a number) and line moves fast. The further upstate you go, the people seem just to be happy they have a job and the wage fits in w/ the cost of living. In the metro area, they hate to be working for the DMV and barely surviving on the wage.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:14 AM
vinceSPEC
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also running NY year of manufacture plates on my '82 930 and so far so good (knock in wood). Since the dmv is not keen on registering an old plate, the way around it is to purchase custom vanity historic plates and match them up to the plate numbers on the old plate you want to use. I keep a new plate under the seat in case i come across a cop on a power trip, but for the most part they're busy with the import kids.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:00 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Keeping track of mileage in New York is quite easy. It's logged at each yearly safety inspection. Of course if your odometer is off, there goes the accuracy.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:28 AM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Virginia Safety/Emission Test

Originally Posted by BER
I don't think they look odd at all. Never saw a plate like this on a Model T.
Bruce, love the "ANTIQUE" license plate, "TYPE911" for the Commonwealth of Virginia. Wish I had that plate and its exemption from the yearly Safety/Emission testing when we lived in NoVA. Our SCs were not daily drivers and were used only for either Potomac or Chesapeake PCA outings.

The then required Commonwealth Safety/Emission test for one of our 1978 911SCs was a major pain, and taking the car for testing was like walking on egg shells. That SC had SSI heat exchangers installed, which meant no catalytic convertor ('cat") and no injection air pump. The engine in that car was always in tune so it would easily pass the tail pipe sniffer test, but the state certified independent inspection garage still had to verify - with a mirror under the car, that it had a cat. The third-world garage personnel (I always went to the same garage) would look at the stainless steel head exchangers, and usually exclaim how big the cats were. For the years that the car was inspected, I never disabused them of that finding. The same SC also had two bulb, H1 headlights installed and properly aimed; that is another inspection garage story, not to be repeated at this time.Type 2

Quick Reply: Antique Plates