Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

83 911SC - How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 01:01 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

There is no way a newbie without a full shop can check for broken head studs. Let's not be ridiculous.

Rich
Old 07-25-2018, 01:38 PM
iFox
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skidowntown
Iceman, just read your note about the studs. I mis-understood the dealer and they are not offering a one year warranty. Not sure how I missed that and still confused by it. Either way, at the moment they should be cleared, but I will double check w/them. How often should I check this? And is checking them a DIY, or do I need to take it in for diagnostics?

Thanks!

Definitely try to get a statement on the head studs. If they are asking top dollar it SHOULD have been addressed. Also, does this model have a sunroof, because it didn't look like it..

SS-
Old 07-25-2018, 01:40 PM
iFox
Instructor

Iceman, just read your note about the studs. I mis-understood the dealer and they are not offering a one year warranty. Not sure how I missed that and still confused by it. Either way, at the moment they should be cleared, but I will double check w/them. How often should I check this? And is checking them a DIY, or do I need to take it in for diagnostics?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by JCGMS
Beautiful car.

Maybe make a valve adjustment a condition of the sale and gave them check the studs at the same time.

Great idea... I just got a valve adjustment after almost a year of owning my SC and the car sounds so much better. Before it sounded like a super loud sewing machine.

SS-
Old 07-25-2018, 03:10 PM
skidowntown
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JCGMS
Beautiful car.

Maybe make a valve adjustment a condition of the sale and gave them check the studs at the same time.
Originally Posted by iFox
Definitely try to get a statement on the head studs. If they are asking top dollar it SHOULD have been addressed. Also, does this model have a sunroof, because it didn't look like it..

SS-
No sunroof. Thanks for the compliment man, I'm really excited. I spoke to the dealer and they are adamant about the studs/valves being tested. I drove several other cars and this engine purrs beautifully.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:11 PM
iFox
Instructor

No sunroof. Thanks for the compliment man, I'm really excited. I spoke to the dealer and they are adamant about the studs/valves being tested. I drove several other cars and this engine purrs beautifully.
NO SUNROOF! MY MAN! Great car!
Old 07-25-2018, 03:15 PM
skidowntown
Advanced

When it's in my garage, I'll share my Porsche story. Pumped! Thanks again!

Last edited by skidowntown; 07-25-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:56 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I missed that part, how long ago were the valves done?
If unknown or >15K miles ago you probably want to do it now anyways, especially since you want your new baby to run perfect.
Might as well find out BEFORE you buy the car rather than afterwards. Even if they don't want to pay for it, $700 to 1K down the drain now is better than who knows how much for an engine rebuild after you've paid for the car.
As much as I stay away from dealers, I can't imagine they're all out to rip you off all the time. Maybe have em take a picture with the valve covers off and post here if you don't trust em.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:10 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Agreed - huge plus!
Old 07-26-2018, 12:38 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
There is no way a newbie without a full shop can check for broken head studs. Let's not be ridiculous.

Rich
Im mot sure who you thought said a newbie could check them himself.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:02 AM
Mrrdstr
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

SC on BaT should be a good indicator of the current SC market, looks like a damn good one

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...sche-911sc-31/
Old 07-27-2018, 12:07 AM
skidowntown
Advanced

I have been very impressed with the dealership where I am buying this car (Colorado Springs Porsche (Certified Classic Porsche dealer, where I believe Mrrdstr purchased his Talbot Yellow example). They have been really outstanding to work with and I will give a full report later, as I highly recommend their service. They have agreed to do a valve adjustment and even though they feel the car is in top condition, they want me to have peace of mind. Very cool. Looking forward to finally being in the club!
Old 07-27-2018, 09:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

Bet that bat car gets to 40!
Although i think thats nuts for a car unseen

Imo bat does not represent market value. It represents ebay
value
Old 07-30-2018, 01:38 AM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Ski- You may want to check the airbox to see if a PRV has been installed. Early SC's were kind of notorious for blowing the airbox and bad things happening. I always thought it was kind of an "internet" scare, but ours blew up long before the internet existed! You mention that you thought they would be faster. Well, they are from the 80's, so they are 80's fast! I'm not sure where you live, but if you live in an area that doesn't require emissions, these SC's really perk up a bit with a straight pipe (no cat). The smog really stole some of the HP. There might be an aftermarket cat and pipes that will clean it up a bit and still keep the flow that are worth looking into.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:47 PM
Mrrdstr
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

This one sold on BaT on the 19th of July - SC's climbing - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...sche-911sc-15/ ($54,600.00 all in - buyers premium)
Old 07-31-2018, 04:32 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

SC's are definitely on the rise. This one hammered at $63k with fee
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...sche-911sc-31/

Quick Reply: 83 911SC - How much is too much?