Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

83 911SC - How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:03 AM
skidowntown
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a down payment on it Friday to hold it. I'm also not much of a polished wheel guy, but w/the color combo, they just popped. The car is especially pretty in person. I would probably add the colored logos to the caps to add some contrast and maybe some updated LED headlights down the road, because my night vision isn't great.

I'm having a tough time buying it because I'm such a novice with cars and while I appreciate them, it would be easier for me to spend a little more to get quality up front in order to avoid frustrations and a lot of extra cost later. I know I will may have to spend money throughout the life of this car..that's a given, but I'd love to drive it without worrying about it so much (and having to explain to the wife ). I have another car for the winter and other use, but I'd probably still put 8,000 miles/yr on this car.

Last edited by skidowntown; 07-25-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:06 AM
AG81
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I don't know if some folks price expectations are unrealistic or what. I have looked at over 300 cars in the past 12 months. I do not think you over paid for this example. The ones in this condition and not all original started at this price and went to $67K depending on mileage and overall condition. Just my 2 cents. Congratulations on your purchase.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:59 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

yeah I agree, having seen it I think its good value for money. Just make sure you get the right insurance with a fixed value endorsement. yeah you will spend money , but take any Porsche to the dealership for service and its gonna be painful. The Beauty of the SC is they are easy to work on and maintain.
But all that said I would not want a car I have to worry about driving, If you cant just get in it and enjoy it something is wrong, and if something happens it happens, !

would you believe me if I told you you had t take the back bumper off the 991 to replace an air filer ? what if I told you you don't even have to jack up an SC to change the oil ? and while its draining you can be finished replacing the air , filter oil filter and fuel filter ?

Just stuff to consider.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:34 PM
skidowntown
Advanced

Iceman (dig the name btw), I don't think I'd worry that much. I had a '04 BMW e46 w/the ZHP package. It wasn't a 911, but really was a good drivers car. I took care of it and it took care of me. Really didn't have much issues because of it, but I did sell it around 70k miles.

Are most of the repairs other than those you mentioned DIY? I have four boys and I suppose we could use the internet and YouTube to figure things out and may be a lot of fun in the process. Right now we don't know what we're doing, but sure we could figure it out.

Don't have a lift, thus, I'm guessing for more of the more major stuff, I'd need to find a mechanic and hopefully one who loves air-cooled models.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:51 PM
mattypv50
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Skidowntown - Just acquired a mint 83SC and paid good money for it. I am also not a mechanic, don't have a lift ect. I figure that I will be driving this car 6 months of the year and stored the rest (winter = snow). I kind of jump in and go in the month I've owned the car. I don't drive it super hard, evening cruises, some spirited driving on the highway. Everyone loves to stop and talk to me about it.

I know sooner rather than later it will need something...I have Hagerty with flatbed towing should that happen. I have a good independent mechanic to help out.

I also in my mind know that at some point I'll need to spend big on something so I've mentally ear marked $10K for that.

My SC also has the smell you mentioned - it's amazing. I love it.

I feel we're in a similar boat - I'm just 1 month ahead of you
Old 07-23-2018, 05:00 PM
skidowntown
Advanced

Thanks for the post Matty....I just sent you a board mail.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah between here and Pelican you will have enough resources to fix anything . I started out 15 years ago knowing nothing .. well I still know nothing , but I was able to pull out my engine rebuild it and even put it back in and got it running. The boys will love it.

The only real thing to worry about on an SC is broken head studs .... I would HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you pay someone at month 11 of your warranty to pull all the valve covers off and inspect those studs. If they are broken its a complete top end rebuild. You want that done under warranty if it happens or it could be miserable.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:14 PM
skidowntown
Advanced

You guys are great!. My wife laughs when I say, "I'll fix it when needed", but what she doesn't understand is this isn't fixing the daily car or some other driver, this is a Porsche and my dream car. Getting to know it is fine w/me. Also, anyone else shocked by the fact that I kept turning back to this SC even after driving an '88 Targa, '85 930 (had some issues), 97 993 C4S, and an '07 Carrera S? I can't explain it, but it's awesome. The Targa cruised at a little faster speed and had the G50 tranny which was a little smoother, but I actually like the SC's set up (clutch a little heavy), but I like the Reverse on the bottom right and man that shifter is in the absolutely perfect position. Amazing.

Last edited by skidowntown; 07-25-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-23-2018, 07:32 PM
skidowntown
Advanced

Iceman, just read your note about the studs. I mis-understood the dealer and they are not offering a one year warranty. Not sure how I missed that and still confused by it. Either way, at the moment they should be cleared, but I will double check w/them. How often should I check this? And is checking them a DIY, or do I need to take it in for diagnostics?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2018, 09:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

It would be a condition of sale in my mind
No warranty changes the game

I would get a ppi somewhere else then. Independent. As once you walk out the problems ate yours. No warranty is a game changer
Old 07-23-2018, 09:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

They are easy enough to check yourself eventually. There is valve adjustments that have to be done periodically and they are checked then. But i would not buy a car without warranty without having them checked before by an independent source
Old 07-24-2018, 08:32 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Beautiful car.

Maybe make a valve adjustment a condition of the sale and gave them check the studs at the same time.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:36 PM
skidowntown
Advanced

Thank you JCGMS and Iceman, great suggestions!
Old 07-24-2018, 09:50 PM
Mrrdstr
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Welcome

Welcome to the Colorado Porsche Classic Club - bought my SC from Travis ( great sales guy ).
Old 07-25-2018, 04:07 AM
buddalun
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrrdstr
Welcome to the Colorado Porsche Classic Club - bought my SC from Travis ( great sales guy ).
Talbot? Regardless, it's beautiful!

Where did you get the "Porsche Classic" sticker from? TIA

Quick Reply: 83 911SC - How much is too much?